1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logged out of Facebook >6months. FB working overtime to get me back. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

With all the stuff in the world, I took a break from FB. No goodbye, no angry delete, just stopped visiting it. This was June of last year.

I never really "logged out" I guess as well. I still use messenger when I get a message and rarely FB marketplace.

I had always received emails to the associated account that so-and-so was posting something to suck-and-such group or updated a photo or whatever. I just ignored it all.

Over the last 2 months, they have been working overtime to get me to come back. Tons of new friend suggestions that pop up on my home screen. Most look like girls that wouldn't talk to me when I was eligible, and a lot of "overseas" sounding names...but some looks related....guys with guitars in their photos, a guy with a motorcycle (I ride and am part of some m/c groups). The oddest one was yesterday, was my wife's alternate account. Took them a while on that.

I have been riding on Zwift and Strava and I wonder if it's matched my email from that behind the scenes to people I interact with and hence all the notifications.

I have skipped out for weeks at a time before, but they seems to be working overtime to get me to come back and interact. I have seen a lot of folks speaking of deleting accounts for some of the same reasons I stepped away, so maybe they are actually hurting??

Anyone know?

2. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I deleted my account in the fall. Best decision I’ve made in years.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Way back in 2011 I was a young dumb college kid whose girlfriend had just dumped him and gotten together with a friend of sorts. I was heartbroken of course, but worse was getting on Facebook and seeing them together. So I stopped. I didn't get on Facebook for a good 6 months and when I did I muscled up the strength to go to each of their pages and remove them. I was back! But a funny thing happened after that. After being gone for so long I just didn't care anymore. I got bored looking at that crap and I really haven't used Facebook much since. I still have an account though.

I don't recall trying to get dragged back during that time. But recently I started getting far too many notifications on my phone everyday. So I turned off notifications and life has been even better since.

richiek65 and Flip G like this.
  4. Flat6Driver

Yeah, I haven't got the distance to actually delete it yet. But like @Steve Holt says, I don't miss it that much. When you realize you're looking at the breakfast or dinner of some musician you met in a bar once but wanted to keep tabs on, what's the point.

So we can have a full on FB thrashing thread, those are always fun, but I wonder if anyone else was seeing what I was.

In the musician space it's almost necessary to network. CL is crap and nobody is hanging a sign by the restroom at Guitar Center any longer to find a band. My daytime profession has ample networking opportunities.

I have been on the internet for a long time. Sadly I have watched forums die off as many move to that platform. It's not conducive for actual discussion, but it does serve a purpose. As I'm trapped in my house, I certainly don't need it. And I'm really rethinking my re-entry into society one day. How will it be different? Anyhow.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Our band messages on FB. I spend maybe 15 minutes on some days. Never got in deep.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I have fake email accounts that I use to sign up for Facebook (and basically everything including even TDPRI). Well they are not “fake” email accounts, but just accounts I do not check. So basically all the email notifications of social/commercial/promotional nature go there, and I never bother to look at them.

lupowitz, greenhornet, dented and 3 others like this.
  7. Flat6Driver

Yeah that's where they go...the account I don't like.

I just adjusted the on screen notifications in Android. Somehow that got tweaked. Hmm.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I closed my Facebook account over 6 years ago. I liked the good but couldn't take the bad.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

When we shut down our antique side business a couple of years ago I stopped using it entirely. My usage before that was mostly searching various Marketplace groups for antique deals and estate sales/auctions.

10. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I also get friend suggestions every day. Some of them really weird - today I got suggestion for some girl from Georgia... not the one in US of A, but Georgia the former SSSR republic :lol:
    Anyway I also havent signed out of FB, but I havent really been using it for ages.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I never joined, but this weekend I watched a documentary called The Social Dilemma. It was an eye-opener.
    This topic was covered in detail.

richiek65, Flip G, SRHmusic and 4 others like this.
  12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have FB and one friend, my wife. I refuse everyone else. I have 4 groups I belong to. One for work, one Terry Kath, and two about folks who worked for me.
    no drama

richiek65 likes this.
  13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I use it to keep in touch with a lot of friends in the arts community, but I while back I stopped going there regularly. Now it’s just a periodic check-in. “Yup, yup, OK, bye now.” I also recently sold an item on Marketplace. As for the friend suggestions, I haven’t noticed anything increasing there, but I’ve got my privacy settings pretty tight (for what that’s worth), and notifications are turned off. Also, I haven’t been “gone” as long as you. I will definitely keep an eye on that.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

They're upsetting Australians because of our advertising laws. Faeces book is their new name here.

15. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I did a similar thing. I just stopped visiting FB about a month ago. My band liked to use FB Messenger to communicate but they are cool using other methods. So far FB hasn't started to entice me back.

I have friends who are serial meme reposters. Stupid and misleading memes from both sides clogging my feed. It got worse after the events of the last 4 months. The annoyance became too great. Some get content blocked or fact-checked and then they scream about freedom of speech. They cannot grasp that FB exists only to profit from our data and that the 1st Amendment does not apply. I believe you should have a basic understanding of your rights before you claim they are being violated. Turns out people don't like to hear that, especially about themselves, and in the feed they polluted.

I refuse to lose friends in real life over this nonsense.

SRHmusic likes this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

ALWAYS log out when you're done, otherwise it's tracking your activity. I only "follow" immediate family and church.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They also sent out stupid messages like "you've only been 5 minutes on Facebook yesterday". Kind of like a smack dealer offering tiny doses.

A lot of bot activity for sure.

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ve de-activated my personal FB account back in 2013. Of course, I was able to log back in/re-activate but then I realized everyone that stalks me notices, so I did the second account thing not too long after. Then about a year later I realized that’s silly too. Haven’t been back since.

Networking is important though, so I get it.

Based on the conditions explained by OP, it’s obvious FB has data-tuned their operations to the point of predicting when a ‘fed-up’ account holder will likely relapse. A percentage of those persons are susceptible to bombardment. Others not so much. A few persons my air their grievances on other social media channels....hmm...

Flat6Driver likes this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Havent logged on in about 7 years. Have a new phone no , and a different email now , so I really cant be bothered to de-activate.

20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Iced my account in 2017, but was never a heavy user.

Got an anon account March of last year, no friends, no real commenting. FB periodically sweeps accounts like that and killed mine.

Didn't miss it for a while, but signed back up again. I check the local classifieds, it's a great way to stay up with local government and business. Apart from that, no use for it. I still keep it anonymous and don't have friends or connections with people. Nobody can message or friend me or see anything I post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.