Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

i am curious...how many gretsch guitars do you own....right now my favorite guitars...that i own are....my Gretsch White Falcon and my Logan Custom

Sanford

2. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

A White Falcon - VERY cool!

I've been a Gretschie since 2002, when I bought my first Gretsch (a G1413 Synchromatic Jet Club), at a blowout sale for $125. That guitar served me well for 3 years during cash strapped times, playing everything from oldies to metal (it was especially good sounding for alternative rock). I traded it towards an Ibanez AS73 Artcore in 2005 - a good guitar, but without the sonic character of my old Jet Club. I also briefly owned a G5210 Electromatic Junior Jet in 2008 (it was traded for a Ric 360 I wanted back, that I'd traded in 1999).

At the present time my Gretsches are:

1. G1629 Synchromatic Red Sparkel Jet w/f-hole - this is a pre-Fender guitar, that has an f-hole in its upper bout, like a Thinline Tele. I think the Gretschbuckers it has are bit blah, so I'm trying to get them replaced with Dyansonics-type pickups. I've had it since late 2008.

2. G6120SHLTV Brain Setzer Hot Rod, limed gold color, with TV Jones Classic pickups - this is my main axe. It plays and sounds sooooo good for everything from rockabilly to metal. It just rips through my Marshall amp!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. telecaster man

i've had a love affair with Gretsch guitars since 1974...when i walked into a music store owned by a friend of mine and he had a Gretsch Country Gentleman on the wall...he told me to give it a try...i did...fell in love...told him one day i will own a Gretsch....he said...i bet you will..32 years later..at age 57 my dream was finally realized...with the top of the line...
    between it and my Logan i play them quite a bit....i also have a fender tele and a strat but rarely play them now that i have the Logan...i also have a Ibanez Jazz bass...but haven't played it much since i got the Logan Bass....
    Bob's guitars are far superior to anything Fender...or most other companies can produce....i say most companies because Gretsch and Logan are both top of the line to me.

Sanford

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Ten days ago, posts #s 70-72 in this thread discussed the custom-made guitar strap I had made by my best friend for my mahogany Tele. Sanford asked if he thought my friend David would be willing to take orders for custom straps for others. I said that I would email him, and so I thought I should give an update on that, in case Sanford (or others) might still be interested.

The bottom line is I don’t have an answer for you. I theorized back then when this came up that David might not be interested, and that still might be the case.

He can wind up working very long and odd hours at his job at the refinery. I’ve known him to work 12 hour days for 6 days straight, at odd hours of the day, come home and crash and not get much else done until he gets a few days off. Frankly, I don’t know how he does it. He’s been with the refinery since 1977.

Shortly after we discussed it in this thread my wife Beth got an email from David’s wife Susan, and Beth happened to mention Sanford’s inquiry. Susan didn’t answer for David, and David himself has yet to get in touch about anything, so I’m assuming he’s on one of his strange shift rotations.

I just wanted to give this update, to let you know that I haven’t forgotten. What I *have* forgotten to do, though, is take pictures of just that strap. Maybe tomorrow…

5. telecaster man

What I *have* forgotten to do, though, is take pictures of just that strap.

Larry...you are gettingto be like me....forgetful....laughing

6. LGOberean

When this club/thread was just getting underway, I talked about sharing the “back story” of my Logan Tele. What I mean by that is what circumstances led up to ordering from Bob: how I was in the market for a Tele, how I heard about Bob, why I chose the options I did, etc.

I never have done that, and I haven’t read a lot from the posts of others how they came to be aware of Bob and his guitars, how they came to be Logan owners. I think my story is an interesting one, and I’m sure there are others with a good story to tell. I guess I’ll go first and see if this idea catches on.

Oops! :eek: :oops: No sooner do I get started than family comes over and we’re going to go out to eat. So, I’ll start when I get back. Honest.

7. LGOberean

Okay, where was I?

I’ve played for 40 years, but almost exclusively acoustics. I had never owned my own electric before I got my Logan Tele.

Mind you, I had played electrics: my brother’s early 80s Peavey T-30, friends’ Strats, etc. So late in 2007, I just got it in my head that it was time to own my own electric. From my limited experience, I knew I liked maple necks and boards, for both look and feel.

So I thought Strat. In January 2008, a good friend even loaned me his MIK Strat (mapleneck/rosewood board) for a couple of weeks. That experience taught me that I wouldn’t be comfortable playing Strats. I did not like trem bridges, I kept accidentally changing the pickup selection and the volume control was in my way.

About this time, both my son and son-in-law recommended I try out a Tele. My son had just purchased a Highway One, and when I played it, I became a believer. The bridge was comfortable, the controls were accessible but not in my way, and the spanking clean sound suited me.

Fast forward to the Fourth of July sale at the local GC. I was the first one in line, so they gave me a copy of “The List” to look over, and there I found a 2006 MIA Tele that was discounted to $399! I am not a regular GC customer, so when the door opened, I went straight up to a sales rep, pointed to my copy of "The List" and asked, “Where’s this Tele?” The young man looked over my shoulder to the place in the store where it was located, and then sheepishly pointed and said “In that guy’s hands.” :mad: In the words of Maxwell Smart, “Missed it by THAT much!” :cry:

In an effort to find something of that kind of a deal, I went to eBay. My search brought up an auction of Bob’s. A fellow had ordered a Tele from Bob, but after paying the deposit and getting the guitar started, the poor guy lost his job, and couldn’t afford to pick it up. So Bob was auctioning off the completed guitar. Towards the end of his auction description, Bob said, “What do you want? I customize!” :eek:

Well, that intrigued me. I followed links to his Feedback Profile, and was duly impressed. The number of people buying more than one guitar from him spoke volumes to me about the quality of workmanship he was offering. And the price was right. My wife said, “Go for it. If he’s as good as you think he is, his prices may not last.”

I went to his website and filled out the form to just make an inquiry. There was some kind of glitch, so I emailed him directly as opposed to trying the online form again.

Two hours later, Bob *called* me! We began a discussion via email and phone calls that lasted for a couple of days. I was impressed with his patience in dealing with a lot of newbie questions, and with his knowledge of his craft.

So I pulled the trigger. I chose a Birdseye Maple neck and board, with a modern “C” shape and 9.5 radius and 21 medium-jumbo frets. For the body, I chose mahogany. I wanted something out of the ordinary, and something that might have a warmer, rounder tone. I definitely wanted the Tele twang and spank, but I also wanted a wider range of tone and textures, since I was planning on this one purchase being the first and last electric I would buy. (I know, I know…I was naïve back then! :oops:) So I paired mahogany with a P-90 neck pup, with a vintage style bridge pup.

I caught Bob at a good time; he gave my project immediate attention, and finished it quickly. The finished guitar arrived at my doorstep July 29, 2008. And I'm so happy with her. I've played her almost daily for a couple of hours each day.

She does just what I need. She is very versatile. I found out as time went on just how versatile a Tele can be, but I have no regrets about my mahogany Logan Tele. She’s beautiful, well made, distinctive, gives me the range of tones and textures that I want, plays like a dream…what more could I ask?

Well, I *can* ask for another Logan Tele. And I have been. I don’t absolutely *need* one, but I sure want one. I’ve been working on softening up my wife to the idea of ordering another Logan. And I’ve discussed a couple of ideas with Bob. My next Logan will either be a “Mesquite-o-caster” or a 1953 repro. I just can’t decide. Of course, if I had sweepstakes/lotto/from-out-of-nowhere money, I’d go on a spending spree for Logan ( and other) guitars. I'd order both the “Mesquite-o-caster” and the 1953 repro, plus a Thinline for myself, and Logans for both my son and son-in-law.

Okay, FWIW, that's my story. Who's next?

8. telecaster man

I am going to be next Larry....my story isn't as interesting as yours...but...i will give it a throw and see if you like it....

i was doing a google search on the net last december to try find a telecaster...natural finish...for some reason everyone seems to think natural means anything but natural....

i came across an add in the Dallas Craigslist...it was a random search...

i checked out the website and then phoned Bob....best call i made in awhile...

i explained to him what i wanted in a telecaster....i told him i don't want one with brown body and white neck...i want a natural finish...a dull look...matte look...i explained the sound i wanted...the whole thing....Bob took my email address down....a few hours he got back to me with the price in US dollars....i live in Toronto Canada...[well actually i live in Mississauga...but most people don't know where it is so it's easier to say Toronto...] i worked out the price in Canadian funds and phoned him and told him to make the guitar...a week later i sent him the money....i got the guitar on Dec 30 and fell in love....the feel...the sound everything was perfect....

i liked the guitar so much i had him make me a bass guitar with a precision style body and Jazz neck....and yes...natural finish...i have talked to him and when he gets some more swamp ash in...he will be making me a stratocaster style guitar....you guessed it...natural...

it's my opinion that Bob's guitars are the best i have ever used...other than Gretsch...
    but he doesn't mind being put in their league....he told me he considers it a compliment to be thought of as being as good as Gretsch as a builder...he's better than fender...in my opinion.

Sanford

9. LGOberean

Wait a minute, let me see if I've got this straight...a Canadian from Mississauga, Ontario checks a listing in Dallas, Texas' Craig's List and finds out about a guitar builder in Delafield, Wisconsin? :eek: :confused: How did THAT work? Was somebody in Dallas selling their Logan? More info, please...

Prompt, good communication...When Bob is communicating about a build, he very prompt, very professional. That was my experience with Bob, anyway, and it sounds like it was yours, as well.

And speaking of communicating with Bob, it's just so great that you can let him know just what you want, that you have so much choice, so many options.

10. telecaster man

i used google search for a fender telecaster natural...i did a search over several pages...one came up...it was Bob's add...when i asked him about the add on the phone...he explained that he sometimes advertises in the Dallas Craigslist because he has customers there...i just happened to open it...
    i am advertising here in canada for him on Kijiji...he can't as the thing doesn't work internationally....we can't get his ads to work here in canada on Craigslist because at the mention of his name they delete the add...something about the telecaster name being copyrighted....he's tried and so have i...won't work...sooooooo...i try different things.

Sanford

11. LGOberean

I did not know that Bob has customers in Dallas. Nice to know. My family lives up in that area. My older brother lives in Dallas, and my Mom and my younger brother live on our family Farm outside of Granbury (Thorp Spring). If there are Logan owners in the DFW metro area, I'd like to meet up with them sometime.

In fact, I'm going to go up to the family Farm the last weekend of this month (March 26-29). My wife will be attending a conference in Ft. Worth, so I won't have transportation, but if anyone's open and available for a meet, PM me.

12. LGOberean

Hey, Sanford, I forgot to forget...in other words, I remembered! To post pics of my guitar strap, that is. I still haven’t heard from David about whether or not he wants to commit to taking orders for straps, though.

Anyway, here are the pics of the strap. The lettering on the oak leaf/acorn pattern reads “Larry’s Tele.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Srat

Like you,LGOberean,I tried owning a strat for a while.
    Very comfortable but too many controls and the volume control is in the way.
    I was looking for a used G&L BluesBoy when I stumbled onto Bob.
    He made my old guitar into a more versitile,more comfortable guitar than a BluesBoy.
    Tele's RULE !

JJ

14. telecaster man

Larry...i am jealous...and before you say anything....i already know....jealousy is a sin....but i want a beard like yours...every time i am getting in the right direction....my wife suggests...kinda strongly...that i drim it way down.....grrrrr...women....

NOW FOR THE STRAP....I LIKE...I LIKE....BUT MINE WOULD HAVE TO BE A BIR LIGHTER AS MY GUITAR IS NATURAL SWAMP ASH.....MY BASS THAT IS....AND MY TELE IS NATURAL NORTHERN ASH

sANFORD

15. LGOberean

:eek: At first I thought you were talking about being jealous of the strap! :lol:

I consider my beard short in the above picture of me. The pic was taken just a matter of days ago, and my beard had been trimmed just a couple of weeks before, so to me, that's what short and well-trimmed looks like. For years, I have followed the same pattern. I typically let my "winter coat" grow from September or so up until the "Spring Shearing," which this year came at the end of February.

Well, I'm sure my friend David could do a lighter stain, or no stain at all, but as I said, so far he hasn't said anything about agreeing to take orders.

16. telecaster man

he probably isn't interested....and something tells me they would be quite expenisve

Sanford

17. telecaster man

This sunday i will be playing my Logan Tele in church....i will be doing an instrumental version of Softly And Tenderly

Sanford

18. LGOberean

You may very well be right. I don't know that for a fact, but he may not be interested.

As for his straps being "quite expensive," I don't know about that. I guess that would depend in part on what one considers "quite expensive." I've seen adjustable leather straps that were 2-½" wide, as mine is, going for as little as $20, but then those had no carving or stamping of any kind. Leather straps with stamped/carved images or patterns I've seen priced from $40-60 and beyond.

I can't tell you what David would charge for his, because he tried not to charge me for his labor. I gave him a $20 when I "commissioned" the project to cover the cost of materials, and when he delivered it, I asked what I owed him, and he said nothing. I protested, saying that I did not ask him to make me a strap for free. He responded, "Well, how about for 40 years of friendship?" I was touched by his affirmation of friendship and his generosity, but I was also undaunted. It took some doing, but I gave him another $20. It probably wasn't enough.

So I don't know what price he would set for his straps.

19. littlewing6283

littlewing6283 Tele-Meister

that is a pretty sweet bear larry, i wish I had one like that

btw sweet strap too hahahahah

20. telecaster man

there's a guy in New York state that makes custom guitar straps...among other things....his prices start around $200 if i am not mistaken....that is US...in canadian funds we are looking at about $300 to 350...not going to happen....

straps bought at music stores around here are not bad...a decent one like what i use costs about 35 to 40 plus tax.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.