1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

FYI, ICAII (In Case Anyone Is Interested), I'm taking a break from my Logan Custom teles.

I'm not disappointed in my Logan teles in any way, I'm certainly not selling them. It's just for the last day or two, I have been playing something other than my teles when I go for an electric. And I predict I will continue to do so for more days to come.

I don't consider this being unfaithful to Bob Logan's guitars. Here is the electric guitar I'm "cheating" with...

My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 2.jpeg

...my Logan Custom Challenger, in orange haze finish. It's Bob Logan's own design, in fact he originally referred to this as his "Logan Special Design" guitar. I teased him about it being an LSD guitar, and he changed the name to "Challenger."

This isn't a guitar I ordered from Bob; he didn't make this one for me/according to my specifications. I'm thinking he made this one in late 2015, when he introduced the Challenger line. This one hadn't sold and Bob had it on his wall in his shop. In 2018 when I visited Bob, I picked it out. I liked the look: the snakehead vintage vibe, the color (orange and white reminds this boy from Corpus Christi, Texas of Whataburger), etc.

But I mainly picked it because it was different from what I have, not just in appearance but primarily the pickups. It was my first, and to date, only guitar equipped with humbuckers.

I have played this guitar at home, but less than my teles. I've gigged with this guitar, but again, not as much as I do with my teles. And I still don't think I'm accustomed to humbuckers. So I'm making myself be exclusive with this Challenger for a while, to see if I can get accustomed to playing through humbuckers or if I am just a hopelessly single coil guy.

More to come...

2. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

So I'm looking at that guitar, nice. I'm thinking Mr Logan might have been on to something when he named it the Logan Special Design (LSD)! Relative to the humbuckers, as Lee Trevino used to say, you can groove anything (of course he was talking about a golf swing).

3. LGOberean

Nothing new to report here, I'm just posting a couple of "new" pics that aren't really new. Lemme 'splain...

The pics are of my Logan Custom Firecaster II. They are "new" in the sense that I just created them, but they are composite pics, so to speak. I created a composite pic of previous pics I've taken (or my wife has taken) of the guitar from different viewpoints. I created the "composite" pics by copying the two individual pics and placing them side by side, then taking a screenshot ("Print Screen" button on my keyboard).

The first one shows both the front and the back of the guitar side by side, made from two individual pics taken of those views. The second is a close-up composite showing the body of the guitar at angles that allow you to see not only the top and back of the guitar, but also the sides. This second one showcases the guitar's construction, in that it is a chambered tele with those beautifully bookmatched veneers, both top and back, on the body core of basswood stained walnut.

As I was typing this, it occurred to me that there is a section of TDPRI where members post stuff like this, called "Testing - Please Ignore," I believe. I could have posted these two "new" pics there. I've created them, saved them to the hard drive of my laptop, but haven't actually seen them/posted them anywhere. So this could have been a "Testing - Please Ignore" post.

But where's the fun in that?!? o_O:twisted:

04-10-2021 - Logan Custom Firecaster II - front & back.png 04-10-2021 - Logan Custom Firecaster II - body close-ups.png

4. LGOberean

I just decided to check when I posted here about playing my Logan Custom Challenger. Felt like I'd just posted that, but it turns out it was 8 days ago! :eek:

And in that time, I've continued to be exclusive with the Challenger. IOW, all five of my Logan teles have been on their respective hangers in the living room, untouched/unplayed for the last eight days. Well, actually, more like ten days unplayed, because I started this exclusive focus on my Challenger a day or two before posting (back on the 8th, see comment # 7181 at the top of this page).

I'd forgotten that I had said in that posted comment "More to come," so I decided that, in addition to coming here to check the date on that post, I should give a sort of progress report.

In a way, it has required a bit of discipline to stick to my guns and do what I said I would do, be exclusive with the Challenger for the purpose of getting more accustomed to playing through the humbuckers. But in another sense, it's no "challenge" to be exclusive with the Challenger, (see what I did there?), because the neck on that guitar feels great. It's not the fattest neck on a guitar that I have (that honor goes to my 1953 vintage Harmony Broadway archtop acoustic), but the Challenger has a substantial neck. It's also different from the C shape necks on my teles. And yet it's really comfortable to play.

Working the humbucking pickups has always been my challenge on this guitar. I have been playing it through different amps, turning knobs on both the amps and the guitar to get the sounds I'm looking for. Or, more to the point, the clarity I'm looking for. Of course, the clarity is best when I'm on the bridge pickup, and is acceptable when using both pickups in parallel. The real issue is the neck pickup.

So, I've been experimenting with settings on the guitar and amps, and using different amps. My usual amp of choice is one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs, but Gain and Volume settings definitely have to change using the humbuckers. I also have a Roland CUBE, but an older one with no effects on it, so it's not the amp I want to take to a gig.

I've also tried it through one of my Fishman Loudbox Minis. Though that sound way too hi-fi/sterile by itself, it's better if I first plug into my BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal. I've even into my powered speaker (10" LF driver, 1.4" HF driver, 1,000 watts continuous RMS, 650 LF + 350 HF), again, by way of first plugging into my ME-70.

I used to own some Peavey SS amps—specifically, Bandits, Studio Pros and Envoys—that I think would be a good fit for the humbuckers. I sold or gave away the Studio Pros and Envoys, not because they weren't usable amps, but just thinning the herd. When it came to it, after my heart attack, I even sold one of my Bandits. They're really good gigging amps, but heavy. I kept, or meant to keep, my Bandit 65, but alas! It was stolen.

But I digress. My VOX amps with their slightly crunchy clean tones just break up too quickly for my liking when I play the Challenger through them. Something like my Peavey amps that had a beefy clean tone that stayed clean even when louder is what I wish I could try. That rig I've got a better chance of gigging with and still being happy with the result.

Of course, one thing I've yet to mention is tweaking those humbuckers, as in adjusting the pickup height and pole pieces. Before I buy another amp, I need to take some measurements and see what adjusting their proximity to the strings can do for my tone. Now that I've typed that, it seems so obvious that that should have been my starting point. Duh! :rolleyes::oops:

5. RagtimeJoe65

RagtimeJoe65 TDPRI Member

Just wanted to let all the Logan guitars owners know I have a recently completed Logan T-Style guitar. Bob completed it in 2/2021. I'm just not bonding with it and plan to get a Gretsch I recently discovered. Thought I'd post here first since every one here already knows all about Bob's guitars.

Here are the specs on my guitar:

Nut width is 1.65, strings measure 1.46 at the nut.

Solid body made of swamp ash. 7.0 Lbs.

Neck is maple medium C profile, 9.5” radius.

Pickups are Lindy Fralin blues specials.

4-way pickup switch – I can change this out to a 3-way switch if the buyer wants

304 Stainless steel bridge plate

Vintage locking tuners

Dunlop strap locks

SKB HSC included

$850 including FedEx ground shipping to contiguous US from east TN

Attached Files:

pagedr likes this.
  6. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I recently acquired a Nashville Telecasters, made in 2008 out of redwood I believe (seller said he thought it was red cedar). Promised to provide pictures, see attached. Love the guitar, good construction and has a nice action but I played it and got some strange sounds. The 5 way selector switch is Neck, Neck + Middle, Middle, Middle + Bridge and Bridge. All pickups seem single coil. The neck pickup (5) is warm, fat and loud. The 4 position (neck + middle) is thin and not very loud - also no humbucking. Middle (3) is fat and loud. Position 4 (middle + bridge) is blah and bridge is good. Something seems amiss. I checked the pickup polarities with a compass. I was expecting North, South, North or South, North, South polarity for humbucking effects in positions 2 and 4. They are all North up - so no humbucking. I contacted Mr Logan about the wiring and he said it was wired like a "standard" strat. I knew that with the 5 way selector switch combo so no new information. Obviously, one of the previous owners (I don't think Mr Logan would wire it this way) swapped out the middle pickup with a Mighty Mite and didn't take notice of the required polarity and phase of the middle pickup. If I keep the neck and bridge pickups, I need a South up and reverse coil winding from the other two. Hopefully the other two are wired the same. Long story short, I need to take it apart, verify the pickup winding orientation, generate a schematic from how it is currently configured (don't know what else the other owner DSCN2758.JPG DSCN2760.JPG DSCN2762.JPG DSCN2763.JPG DSCN2765.JPG DSCN2767.JPG DSCN2768.JPG DSCN2769.JPG DSCN2771.JPG DSCN2772.JPG guitar "guru" did), and get a compatible middle pickup. Another project.

7. LGOberean

Greg, that guitar was made the same year I got my first Logan tele! :) It has that same "Logan Custom" decal on the headstock. In fact, my first three Logan teles have that same "Logan Custom" decal on the headstock. They were made in 2008, 2009 and 2011, respectively. My four Logan Custom guitars after that (two teles, an acoustic/electric tele and a Challenger) were made from 2012-2019, and all have the decal that reads simply "Logan."

As for the redwood/red cedar on yours, it reminds me of my son's Logan Custom "Logo" thinline, which has a red cedar top. Of course, the tort guard probably takes my mind back to his as well...

upload_2021-4-22_16-55-7.png

I have often flirted with the notion of getting Bob to make me a Nashville configuration tele. Thing is, I'm not sure if it's that worthwhile a thing for me. I've never been that happy with the middle pickup on a strat or Nashville, and as a general rule I don't play the bridge pickup by itself all that much, even on teles, much less so on strats. I like the sounds of positions #2 & #4 well enough, but don't find a whole lot of use for them.

And on top of that, my Firecaster I has a 5-way switch with Bill Lawrence's wiring scheme, which includes a half out of phase position that approximates a strat/Nashville position #2. So when I let rational thought prevail, I tell myself I really don't need a Nashville with all that I've got already. Of course, GAS can still strike unexpectedly, and rational thought goes out the window.

8. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I agree. Get the pickup / switching combos you are happy with and go for it. But like you say, there is always GAS, which we are all familiar with.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Just checking in after ten days being away. In that time, some good things happened, others, not so good.

A pick up gig was offered to me from a venue I normally play, where I have another (scheduled gig) in two weeks. So guy cancelled, and I got basically 24 hours notice. Fortunately, I was available. And it was a very profitable gig. The venue pays $150 for 3 hours, and when the evening was over, I had $69 dollars in tips. :)

Oh, and I just used my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele into my Fishman Loudbox Mini, Lined Out to my powered speaker as a PA for the gig.

The not so good came in the form of Bella, our 4 year old dog, suffering a back injury a week ago. One cortisone shot, two vet visits and three different medications later, she's starting show improvement.

Oh, we also bought her a wagon for evening walks. We used to walk 3 miles every night, but Bella is not up to that yet, so we haven't walked that long a nightly walk in a week. The last three evenings we've taken her out for a walk, and each time she's improved in stability and strength/endurance, but she's still not up to a 3 mile walk. So when she starts slowing down and getting wobbly, we put her in the wagon.

So, that's been my life since I last posted here. I probably could have bought a used Logan for the amount of money we've spent on our dog in the last week. Not that I'm complaining. I'm glad we had it to do it, and that pick up gig money sure came at a good time.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  10. LGOberean

Today has been a red letter day for our family.

This day on the calendar first became a significant day for us when Elizebeth, our second grandchild and first granddaughter, was born. That was in 1998, so this date's been circled on the calendar for 23 years. By the way, she has been featured in this thread and elsewhere on TDPRI through the years, in one way or another. When she was ten, I took a picture of her with my first Logan Custom tele. That pic has definitely been shared before, but here it is again...

upload_2021-5-6_20-17-53.png

Elizebeth is an artist. For much of her life, everywhere she went she had a sketch pad with her. On one Thanksgiving gathering seven plus years ago, she sketched me playing my 1983 MiJ Hohner G-940 acoustic. For years that sketch was the art for my avatar pic here...

upload_2021-5-6_20-21-24.png

On her 12th birthday, May 6, 2010, we had a house fire. Many participating in this thread already know that story. Long story short, we made it safely through, even all of my guitars at the time, including these two Logans.

upload_2021-5-6_20-27-16.png

And of course, many here also know that after the fire, I saved some of the lumber from the old house and sent it to Bob Logan, and he's made two "Firecasters" for me out of that wood. They're in the avatar pic, but here's a closer look...

upload_2021-5-6_20-30-54.png

Okay, now for today. Whereas Elizebeth is our firstborn's daughter, our second child and only son had a firstborn son, Isaac, in March of 1999. But on this day of May 6th in the year of our Lord 2021, at 22 years of age Isaac became the first of our grandchildren to get married.

Because of the Chinese craziness and because family is divided and spread all over (Texas and elsewhere), they had the wedding on my son's property in East Texas, and we and many others attended virtually, by means of a live feed. In the future there will be a chance for us to get together.

Okay, that's all I got for this day of the year. But it sure is enough. My heart is full.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  11. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hey, Cool! I’m in a club!
    I bought this from the Guitars for Vets Reverb site. They sell donated guitars to fund their program, which teaches guitar to veterans with PTSD as a coping strategy, rewarding them at graduation with a new guitar ( usually a standard type such as a Yamaha donated by a store )

So this caught my eye: unfilled ash with nitro finish, Fralin Blues Special pickups, Wilkinson bridge, locking Sperzel tuners, 4 way selector, SKB case....great sound, power in series mode, intonation is right. May take the action down a hair. What a sweet guitar and my first Tele type with body sculpts...very comfy!

A2D79519-0394-4474-BC11-3C55F18EA8BC.jpeg IMG_1470.jpeg IMG_1475.jpeg IMG_1476.jpeg IMG_1473.jpeg IMG_1471.jpeg IMG_1474.jpeg IMG_1469.jpeg IMG_1472.jpeg

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Welcome! Glad you posted here. That guitar just looks so cool!

So what do the Fralins sound like? I know describing sound in words can be a difficult task. Is there any other set of pickups you can compare to for reference? For example, I have Bill Lawrence Keystones and DiMarzio Twang Kings as well as Wilkinson in my Logan teles. A friend's Tele had Twisted Tele pickups in it. Those are the pickups I know of.

13. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don’t know any of those pickups, but the Fralin Blues Specials sound a bit warmer and maybe louder than my other Tele’s. I particularly like the neck pickup...very warm and acoustic like. The series setting is powerful and proud, a nice way to boost a solo.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.