1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Thanks so much Larry, I sure appreciate it....Edward

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What got y'all to looking at a Logan Custom build, or built guitar, if you happened to pull the trigger on one for sale listed on his site?

I know my own story on this, of course, but that was almost 13 years ago, and my perspective has changed. Wait, that last sentence sounds like I regretting going this direction. I'm not; I'd like to think I'd still have ordered a Logan tele in July of 2008. It's just that if I were approaching it today, I'd order different specs.

More about me later. What about y'all? What's your story?

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Partly telecaster fever, partly just dumb luck. All in all, I'll take luck any time.

I ended up getting my Logan almost 7 years ago. At the time, I had a case of telecaster fever and I had it bad - or good, depending on your point of view.

Even though I had the fever, I still was doing my homework. I had joined TDPRI maybe 3 years earlier and had only lurked (and drooled) for the most part. Can't recall the precise timing, but by 2014, I had a Peavey Reactor (their T-style), had been through a Fender Nashville Deluxe (bought and sold) and went on to a Squier CVC. One day, I stumbled into this owner's club on TDPRI which by then was over 250 pages of postings of a whole lotta love for Mr. Logan's work. A fairly wide variety of people and locations.

I studied this and that, looked over other choices and it just seemed like the value you got for a Logan T-style was pretty hard to beat.

One day, I am looking over some of the already existing Logan teles and there was Root Beer. "Root Beer" comes from Ash & Walnut or A&W, so what else could I do? At the time, I was unaware of Prince's ash & walnut telecaster style guitar, but that's ok with me too. All telecaster players are all right in my book.

Almost a little too fancy, what with a Bird's Eye maple neck, but also with a reasonable discount for having languished for sometime on his website. I called Mr. Logan to make sure it was still available and the deal was done. Perfectly wonderful person to talk to, as well.

It's a joy to play. Never had one glitch or problem. It has a 5-way switch, and I probably only use 3 of the settings, but maybe I'm just impaired by Telecaster brain. So I didn't custom order it, but I did luck into a wonderful guitar.

You can find my NGD posting in this thread on page 264, #5268 and I also posted some sound clips at #5275. For me, it's been pure telecaster joy.

Pre-pandemic days, I had a weekly gig, and that guitar served me well. Here's me playing Root Beer at the side of Ron Welch, a wonderful guitar slinger in Houston.
    IMG_5993.jpg

More pix? Why not!
    Root Beer in Houston.jpg

...fresh out of the box, April, 2014:

applephone aug2014 068.JPG

...and recently felt sort of flattered, I guess, or something, as Bob Logan now has on offer "Root Beer's Older Brother", yee haw!
    https://logancustomguitars.com/elec...-rootbeers-older-brother-electric-guitar.html

But all in all, I have to say thanks to Larry for his enthusiasm and just all around kindness in keeping this thread going. And of course, thanks to Bob Logan for building excellent guitars.

djh22 and LGOberean like this.
  4. LGOberean

Thanks for sharing that, Bill. As I've said on more than one occasion, I never get tired of seeing pics of Root Beer. Beautiful tele! And you may remember that I took a page from your book in naming my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele: Ash top & Mahogany back = A&M= "Aggie."

I hadn't remembered that Root Beer had a 5-way switch. My Logan Custom Firecaster I (on the eft in my avatar pic) has a 5-way switch as well, but a with the Bill Lawrence wiring scheme used with Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups.

teletimetx likes this.
  5. RagtimeJoe65

RagtimeJoe65 TDPRI Member

Glad everything went well. I had a mechanical valve replacement at 45. I had a 10 lb weight limit for 30 days which my wife made sure I stuck to. I was doing MMA at the time and playing acoustic guitar. A friend of mine was dealing in high end Martin guitars. He loaned me a 1920's 00 that weighed in at 4.5 lbs (he brought over a scaled and weighed it for my wife).

Do your exercises + a little bit more every morning and night. It's amazing how fast you get better (also on guitar).

Joseph

6. LGOberean

@RagtimeJoe65 it seems a lot of us have dealt with heart issues on TDPRI. In August of 2014, I had a heart attack. In the ER I was also diagnosed as having uncontrolled diabetes, no doubt a major factor in the heart attack. Two days later a quadruple bypass.

In the more than six years since, I've worked at finding what foods don't raise my glucose levels, as well as worked up to more and more exercise. At first I was doing well to walk to the end of my block and back. I've slowly built that up to 3-5 miles per day. The exercise combined with better eating has resulted in being taken off all medications and losing 35 lbs.

On a more Logan Custom related note, it looks like this is your first post in the Logan Custom Guitars Club thread. If I missed one earlier, I'm sorry, but what's your Logan story?

Oh, and you signed your reply to Sanford (username telecaster man) as "Joseph," but the "Joe" part of your username implies a less formal/more casual moniker. So which do you go by? Or maybe I should ask that as, "Which do you prefer?"

7. Telefsantasia1

Getting ready to start number two.......!

8. Telefsantasia1

Your Logan is so classy looking ,Black binding is a perfect contrast to that gorgeous ash! Cheers to Bob Logan!

teletimetx likes this.
  9. RagtimeJoe65

My given name is Joseph but my grandfather was Joe so I'm going with that. My heart issue was a mitral heart valve went bad at 45. I'd had mitral valve prolapse since I was a kid (commonly called floppy valve). About 1/3 of the US population has it. Generally not a big deal. I was an athlete growing up, played football up into my 1st year of collage when I decided I was getting banged up to bad. Also did MMA for fun. Got bronchitis and it apparently got into my mitral valve. Ended up having to have the valve replaced with a mechanical valve. Now I take wafrin (rat posion) to prevent clotting. But it's was better than the alternatives. Also had to give up MMA for yoga. At 66 not a bad trade off.

LGOberean and Telefsantasia1 like this.
  10. Telefsantasia1

Your best time in life awaits you! Edward

11. LGOberean

I've said for a baker's dozen of years that I am a lousy photographer. One only needs to look at my avatar pic to prove it. If you've seen good pictures that weren't slightly out of focus, that were taken with a good eye for composition, with good lighting...odds are my wife is the one that took those.

Referring again to the avatar pic, I've long been frustrated that the lighting was bad in that pic. The Logan Custom Firecaster on the left is in the shadows of the room, and it's already a dark guitar. Conversely, the Firecaster on the right has a brighter, natural finish on the bookmatched pine top, and the lighting bleaches it out a little.

Tonight--make that, this morning--I decided to make a composite image out of two separate photographs of these two guitars. It does a much better job of showing off the guitars in better lighting. I did this to post in another thread, but after I did it, I decided to share it here as well. In time, I may change out my avatar pic for this one, below...

03-18-2021 - Logan Custom Firecasters image.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  12. RagtimeJoe65

I couldn't figure out how to start a new post so I'm putting it here. My appologies if I'm stepping on anyone's toes:

Just wanted to brag about my new Logan guitar I just got in yesterday. Bob exceeded my expectations.

I was looking for a couple of unique features that would have cost quite a bit of money and I wasn’t sure I would have gotten what I wanted. And I couldn’t go shopping during Covid. I read glowing recommendations about Bob’s guitars and decided to take a chance with him. The result was an absolute success.

I am an acoustic fingersyle player and wanted a t-syle guitar that would fit my finger style blues and KY thumb style picking. I asked for a 1 1/16 nut width with a fuller neck profile and 12” radius fingerboard. He hit it out of the park on this. The guitar is great for fingerpicking and using a flatpick. BTW, I just noticed that my current flatpick is sea foam green and matches the guitar. Go figure.

The pickups are a set of Franlin blues pickups. They were my choice after weeks of YouTube research. They actually sound like the videos on YouTube. They are set up perfectly for my playing.

I also asked for the control panel to be reversed so I could reach the volume and tone controls more easily. I picked this up from Bill Kirtchen, probably my favorite rockabilly role model. No telling how much this would have cost with most custom builders.

The guitar is a swamp ash slab and is surprisingly light at 6 lbs.

I am one happy camper.

Attached Files:

pagedr and LGOberean like this.
  13. LGOberean

@RagtimeJoe65 I meant to welcome you sooner. Congrats on your now week old Logan Custom. As for its weight, or lack thereof, I think that's fairly typical of swamp ash bodies. My Logan Custom BSB is solid swamp ash, and it's 6lbs. and something ounces. Good to know about Lindy Fralin pickups. Now I need to go watch/listen to some YT vids of them.

I have three different brands of pickups in my five teles: the Wilkinsons Bob uses by default unless you specify otherwise; DiMarzio Twang Kings; and a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones for tele. The Twang Kings are my favorites. The Keystones are a close second. And the Wilkinsons are serviceable tele pickups.

When I first got the Firecaster with the Keystones (on the left in my avatar pic), I had been reading about the Keystones on TDPRI for some time before the Firecaster build (December 2012), and was curious about them. But once I got them, I had to learn how best to use them. They are so articulate, or better said, so transparent, that they almost sounded colorless. That took some getting used to.

14. LGOberean

This past Saturday afternoon I did a gig. It was a market days event at the marina of a town nearby. The guitars I decided to take on the gig were my Logan Firecaster I and my Logan acoustic/electric. As I was loading them in their cases to take to the gig, I realized something I hadn't even noticed before: those two Logan Custom guitars are reverse/mirror images of one another. From the headstock down to the body, one is dark where the other is light, and vice versa.

I wanted to take a picture of it and post it here, but I had to get to the gig. Later I actually did try to get a picture of it myself. I put them side-by-side on the couch and snapped a pic with my cell phone. But as I've said many times in this thread and elsewhere on TDPRI, I'm a lousy photographer. So I waited until my wife could help me with this photographic project. She is a good photographer and an artist (paints, sketches, etc.) and has an artist's eye for lighting, complementary contrast, symmetry, etc. So credit where credit is due, she took the photograph below.

Behold, I give you the Logan Custom reverse/mirror image twins...

03-23-2021 - Reverse, mirror image Logans.jpg

15. LGOberean

There's a thread about memes and gifs for guitarists that I posted to, and I should put my submission there in this thread as well. The meme I created was an idea for a T-shirt that I've had in my head a while. Here it is, and for Logan Custom owners, 'nuff said...

upload_2021-3-24_14-46-8.png

16. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Nice collection Larry. Looks like I'm going to join the club. I just bought a Logan Custom Nashville T, 2005 vintage. I've been busy on other projects and haven't even plugged it in and played it. Has three pickups and a 5-way selector switch. Don't know what it does yet. It has a natural finish, red cedar I think? I'ts pretty nice and in great shape. I'll post some pictures soon.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. LGOberean

Wow, Greg! Welcome to the club! You found a Logan Custom Nashville tele from 2005? That predates my first Logan tele by 3 years. I will certainly look forward to pics of yours. BTW, my son's Logan Custom tele is Bob's "Logo" thinline, with a cedar top. The first pic was taken by Bob in Wisconsin, after he finished it, before shipping it to us in Corpus. The second pic is my son playing it, sitting on the floor in my living room, plugged into one of my Peavey Bandits. (His daughter in the foreground is a teenager now.)

LDO's 2008 Logan Custom 'Logo' thinline.jpg LDO's Logan Custom 'Logo' Thinline - 4.jpg

If money were no object, I'd spring for a Logan Custom Nashville tele, with DiMarzio pickups and of course the 5-way switch. But I can get close to a Nashville with my first Logan Custom Firecaster (the one of the left in my avatar pic). It has just the two pickups, Bill Lawrence Keystones for teles.

And it does have a 5-way switch, but it's a difference wiring scheme, also of Lawrence's design. With the selector switch all the way forward, it's the neck pickup. Then both in parallel, then bridge pickup, and after that it gets kinda wonky. Position #2 (or #4, I guess, since we're counting from front to back) is a half out of phase setting, and it does a fair approximation of strat quack. Then all the way back, what looks like it should be the setting for the bridge pickup, is actually the neck pickup again but with 10% less lows. I call it "Neck Lite," and I don't use it too often. It sounds anemic compared to the full on neck position.

18. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Nice. I looked closer and mine is a 2008, not 2005. Has a DiMarzio in the center and not sure what the other two are. Did you find a wiring schematic of your guitar or just look at it and write it down? I'd like to find a spec sheet and schematic for mine. Does Bob keep records on this stuff?

19. LGOberean

Back in 2012, when the guitar was built, I had been reading and hearing about the Keystone pickups and wanted to try them. In all honesty, I wasn't thrilled with the pickups at first. The primary aspect of these pickups is their transparency. It took me a while to get used to that. The Wilkinson pickups in my first two teles sound really dark by comparison. The DiMarzio Twang Kings in my 3rd Logan tele are a lot warmer by comparison. I now love the neck Keystone pickup, and both in parallel works well for most of what I do. The bridge by itself still sounds to me colorless by comparison.

As for the Bill Lawrence wiring schematic, that's something Bob did for me to try. This scheme gives you the three standard tele selection options, which was great for me. And the half out of phase selection I use for strat sounds, and I'm glad to have that. Like I said before, I don't use the "Neck Lite" position much. I typically use it if I've been playing the hoop position and then want to switch to neck tones. Instead of flipping the switch all the way forward, I just slap it back one position, and I've got neck, albeit with that 10% less bass tone.

So overall this scheme gives me pickup selections I'm happy with and use. It's really versatile. It absolutely does what a tele does, and yet it also gets me a good approximation of strat quack for me to work with. BTW, here is an image of Bill Lawrence's schematic...

upload_2021-3-30_23-17-11.png
    https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advice/mod-garage-the-bill-lawrence-5-way-telecaster-circuit

I don't know if Bob keeps detailed records of every guitar he's ever made, but it couldn't hurt to ask if he's got the specs on your 2008 Nashville. I played one of his strats when I visited him in 2018. And I've seen several Nashvilles on his site for sale, and he used DiMarzio pickups in those. He doesn't have a Nashville for sale right now, but he does have a Strat style. It's loaded with Klein pickups.

20. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Cool. I'll check out Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide 3rd Edition also. He has a bunch of pickup/ switch combination schematics in the back for teles, strats, etc. I need to fool around with my Logan and see how the switch is configured. Might e-mail Mr Logan and see if he has info.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.