Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, congrats! You sure are starting off the new year right! :twisted:

Have you been ruminating on the build idea for a while, or is this a New Year's kind of thing? Either way, I wouldn't mind hearing about the specs of said custom build.

BTW, what "Tri State" part of Mississippi are you from? Vicksburg or a little north of that? Or Southaven in the northwest? Or Corinth area in the northeast?

My family came to Texas from the Overton Hill community, which is about 13 miles or so west of Corinth and a little east of Walnut. I've been back there several times over the years, and my wife and I have taken vacations in the Magnolia State several times. If I couldn't live in Texas, Mississippi would be my second choice.

2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hi. I've been looking for a hardtail stratocaster for a while on reverb, eBay, etc - not having much luck. Not a fancy build - meat and potatoes: contoured body, maple/maple neck, 9.5" radius, 22 mj frets, silver finish w/ gloss nitro, black guard, white appointments.

Yep, northeast corner about 25 mi either way (north to TN, east to AL). I'm originally from IL - love it here.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. LGOberean

Ah, a strat, then. Cool. I've always liked the look of a Strat, and the neck pickup especially. I'd probably go with a hardtail as well. But never could get on with the control layout or the body contours. They look cool, but just don't feel right to me. Back in September of 2018 I played one of Bob's strats when I visited him. Again, not my thing, but a well built guitar.

Several here have strats by Bob. The one that sticks in my head is one owned by @yakfishnick (Nick), because his is just stop-you-in-your-tracks gorgeous. His is "Deep Blue" color with a blackguard and maple neck/board. Hope he doesn't mind me stealing one of his pics to show you what I mean...

[​IMG]

I'm betting your choice of silver finish with a blackguard and maple neck/board will be a knockout as well.

medownsouth likes this.
  4. LGOberean

I did an afternoon gig today using "Aggie," my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele, into a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.

5. LGOberean

Something weird just happened with my Logan Custom Butterscotch Blonde, so I thought I'd run it by y'all to get your input on what could be the matter, if anything.

To refresh your memory, the BSB has DiMarzio Twang King pickups, a 4-way switch and Bob's stainless steel straight plate (which is the same electronic specs and hardware as the Firecaster II, BTW).

Well, the other day I took it down off its hanger in the living room, and out of the four selector positions, only one was working. I didn't have time to deal with it when I discovered the problem, so I just chose a different tele (nice thing about have 5 Logan teles :D), and put off until a later time to try and deal with the BSB's issues.

That later time was this evening, after getting back from walking the dog. I couldn't remember for sure if it was 2 or 3 of the pickup selections not working, so I started by plugging into one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs, which I always keep in the living room, just to refresh my memory on what positions weren't working. And...

...no issues! All four pickup selection positions are working properly. So apart from needing to change the strings, there's nothing to work on.

Or is there? The problem from the other day was real, even though now this seems to be a self-healing tele. Should I open it up anyway, spray some compressed air in the control cavity, look for loose solder joints, or whatever else you might suggest? Or should leave well enough alone?

6. LGOberean

Hello, all. I'm back on TDPRI for the first time since Sunday night. Reason for my absence? Power grid failure.

I haven't checked the stats yet, but I think we may have tied our record cold in Corpus Christi, Texas. We got down to 17 degrees, I think. Yeah, I know...some of you count yourselves fortunate if that's your daytime high. But we're just not acclimatized to those temps down here. Before this latest northern blast, we hadn't even reached freezing temperatures.

Worse, we are not prepared for or equipped to handle such conditions. 4.1 million Texans were without power throughout this winter blast, my wife and I amongst them. We have gas heat, but the thermostat is electric and hardwired in, and the blowers are electric. So, no heat. We woke up after 5 on Monday morning because of the cold and discovered the heat was off. It came back at about 2:30 this afternoon.

My wife has one of those Cricut devices, and she's used it before to make T-shirts. I've already suggested she do one for us that reads "I survived the power grid failure of February 2021."

7. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Absolutely beautiful....

8. Telefsantasia1

Hi, I'm Edward in Carson City Nevada...I have learned so much from your posts.Very informative Telecaster knowledge....The best tip of all was getting turned on to Bob Logan! IMG_2250 (2).JPG IMG_2250 (2).JPG IMG_2221 (2).JPG IMG_2250 (2).JPG IMG_2221 (2).JPG IMG_2250 (2).JPG IMG_2221 (2).JPG IMG_2251 (2).JPG IMG_2250 (2).JPG IMG_2221 (2).JPG IMG_2251 (2).JPG

djh22, teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.
  9. LGOberean

Hello, Edward. Very kind words, thank you. And that's a mighty fine looking Logan tele ya got there! So, curly maple cap on what kind of wood for the body core? Is it chambered? Do you have any special features like a push-pull switch to split the coils on that neck humbucker?

10. Gsweng

Gsweng Tele-Meister

Larry, I don't have a lot of experience with mechanical switches in guitars be do have some knowledge of mechanical switches in electronic equipment. Part of my old job. If it happened once, it will probably happen again. I'd do what you suggest, checking solder joints, and then I'd carefully spray the switch with some contact cleaner, and make sure it gets into the switch. Then I would work the switch real good, back and forth. Kind of like cleaning old pots that get scratchy / noisy. Better yet, replace the 4 position switch. IMHO.

LGOberean likes this.
  11. Telefsantasia1

Hi Larry Thanks so much,It's Swamp Ash underneath a Figured Maple top that Bob says was submerged in Lake Superior for 200 years!...59 Duncan Neck ,Hot Tele bridge,no coil splitting,3 way switch,black binding,no body contours,Kluson Vintage locking tuners,no chambering....such beautiful tone....! Edward Thanks for your talented knowledge.......

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Oh, man! The backstory on the maple top is just uber-cool! :cool:

That's got my Firecasters (the Logan teles in my avatar pic) beat by a mile. The lumber was salvaged from our house fire in 2010. The house was a 1,200 sq. ft. cottage style home, constructed in 1935 and completed in 1936, so the salvaged lumber is old growth construction grade Longleaf pine, 85-86 years old.

I don't have any body contours on my teles, either, and I have the split shaft vintage tuners on two of them.

Telefsantasia1 likes this.
  13. JakeFarrell

JakeFarrell TDPRI Member

I’m officially a new member to the Bob Logan Custom Guitar club. I’m absolutely blown away with Bob and his quality. Fantastic! He was great to work with and the custom side of things was exactly that. What you want, how you want it, where you want it. Check out this beaut!

Attached Files:

djh22, Telefsantasia1 and LGOberean like this.
  14. LGOberean

@JakeFarrell welcome to the club, and congrats!

To me, your post illustrates well the beauty of ordering a guitar from Bob: you get a quality instrument, and you get what you want, instead of what a manufacturer decides are your choices. And good luck with your local guitar store having it in stock.

"So you want a Telecaster with dual humbuckers? Okay, well we've got one of those here in the store.

"That's not the color you're looking for? Sorry, this is the only one we've got...

"What's that? You want a whammy bar on that? Okay, well, we could order this one with a Floyd Rose.

"Oh, a Bigsby? And with gold hardware on a black lacquer finish?!? Okay, well, they make something like that, with three humbuckers, but that's definitely a special order.

"What's that? You just want dual humbuckers? And you want body contours on that? And you don't want the honkin' huge Strat style headstock on that, but the traditional Tele headstock? Are you kidding me?!? Where do you think you are, Bob Logan's custom shop?!?"

:twisted:

djh22 and Telefsantasia1 like this.
  15. Telefsantasia1

Those are so nice looking Larry, I bet they sound terrific, Edward!

16. Telefsantasia1

Welcome Jake ,I'm Edward, your guitars are sensational looking,Bob does amazing work.....Edward1

17. Telefsantasia1

Priceless Larry....!

18. Telefsantasia1

Bob does fantastic guitar building...Edward!

DeepDangler likes this.
  19. JakeFarrell

JakeFarrell TDPRI Member

You nailed it Larry! Everyone has their own fit and feel. I already had a standard Tele. I wanted something different that a big box store would never be able to do. Plus, I wanted it to have my touches. Bob brought it to life! I'm sold for life. All my musician friends are asking questions and blown away by Logan Custom Guitars.

20. JakeFarrell

JakeFarrell TDPRI Member

Thanks Edward. You've got a gorgeous one there yourself! I told my wife - "Bob Logan may have just broke me. I need all my guitars to feel like this."

Telefsantasia1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.