1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@Asahi-Ichiban before you go back to lurking mode :twisted: please tell us about the specs. Aside from the fact that the body's Northern ash and weighs a whopping 10.65 lbs., you haven't said anything else about the guitar's specs.

Although I get buying it straight on looks. That tele is classic!

2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

This my Logan Custom pinecaster. It’s made from a century old pine beam in an church. Sounds quite lively and loud even when unplugged. I has just fallen in love with telecasters and was referred to his shop by a local music store.

Due to my own changing tastes, I have modified the guitar far beyond it’s original state. It’s bad a Bigsby on and off, 4 sets of pickups and multiple wiring schemes. When I order a guitar from him again, it will be a duplicate of this one. Working with Bob was a excellent. I even got to see his shop and he was patient with my questions as I was new to the world of tele. The quality of my instrument is excellent and it’s been a good platform for me to grow as a musician.

The specs are as follows:

• Pine body (6 pound total guitar)
    • Maple neck
    • Gauge 11 strings
    • Seymour Duncan Quarter pound tele for bridge
    • Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound strat middle for neck
    • 500 k pots, .047uf cap, 2 resistor and micro cap treble bleed network for volume control smoothness
    • TUSQ compensated saddles

Attached Files:

3. LGOberean

Fellow TDPRI member Papapotrero started a thread about the Tele neck pickup. He made a comment about the neck pickup on a Tele being great for Hendrixy stuff. I agreed, and told him so. I also said that I have played a friend's Tele that has a Twisted Tele neck pickup, and that I liked it. (IIRC, Papapotrero has that neck pickup as well.) But of the pickup brands I have in my five Logan Custom teles, my favorite set is the DiMarzio Twang King set, and yes, the neck pickup in that set is great.

He replied about looking into them for his next project. On a whim this afternoon, I decided to do a quick video of me playing—albeit somewhat ham-fistedly—my Hendrixy mutations using that Twang King neck pickup. I recorded it using my iPhone. I posted that as a reply in his thread, but since it involves one of my Logan Custom teles, I figure it belongs here as well.

Guitar: Logan Custom Firecaster II (my second tele style made by Bob Logan, from salvaged planks of old growth Longleaf pine from our house fire), DiMarzio Twang King pickups, 4-way switch. Volume and Tone both dimed.

Amp: VOX Pathfinder 15R, plugged straight in. Gain, 9 o’clock; Volume, 10 o’clock; Treble, 11 o’clock; Bass, 1 o’clock; Tremolo Speed, 9 o’clock; Tremolo Depth, 11 o’clock; Reverb, 2 o’clock.

DeepDangler, Pick_n_Strum and RonS like this.
  4. LGOberean

Just a heads up and a kind of follow up to the video I posted Sunday night (see previous post). I'm going to re-do the video on my YouTube channel, "My Logan Custom Guitars, Video Demo #3." The main reason is because it's too long, which is my fault, since I talked for almost ten minutes before finally getting around to playing the guitar.:eek::oops:

I started a discussion thread on this, "Shut up and play or let it lay." In other words, either I do a video where I mostly just shut up and play, or else i just leave the existing one as is, or "let it lay." This thread also included a poll. Both the votes in the poll and the comments in the thread overwhelmingly favored re-doing the video, so that's what I'm going to do.

But I won't be able to get to it right away. My wife and I are going to take a trip and visit family and go camping, so I won't get around to this project until I get back. Like I said, just a heads up...

5. LGOberean

Got back from my camping trip late yesterday afternoon. I intended to post last night, but I guess I needed to readjust to city life routines and recuperate from a day's worth of travel, unloading our truck/trailer rig, etc. I didn't even play guitar at all last night! :eek:

But I've already made up for that this morning. I don't typically take a tele and an amp on camping trips, so it was good to plug in one of my Logan teles after an 8-day hiatus. And the Logan of choice was my Firecaster II. And that choice was primarily in view of my plans to redo the demo vid for that on my YouTube channel, which I referred to in my last post. So hopefully in a day or so I can get that aforementioned project done...

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well, I can finally join this group! And I'm thrilled with the guitar that I got.

[​IMG]

I've been playing this one pretty much non-stop since UPS dropped it off yesterday - I even took it into the studio and did a couple of rhythm tracks on a cover of 'Bus Stop' by the Hollies last night, and it sounds pretty good in the track. And it's got that snap that I look for when playing a guitar unplugged. I could tell it was going to sound good when I plugged it in.

I've never tried the Porter pickups, but they sure deliver that twang! The neck pickup is brighter than the ones in my other Teles (even my Fender), and I like that a lot.

I'm digging everything about this guitar - the blue is a different color for me, but it's a nice addition to the rainbow of Teles that I've already got. The unfilled finish is really cool, a few people on my Facebook page had questions about it. And it's a bit heavier than I'm used to after playing a 6 pound Danocaster for a couple of years, but not a back-breaker by any means.

I've already recommended Bob's guitars to two friends this morning, and once I get back out into the clubs (whenever that happens) there'll be a lot of eyeballs on this guitar. And I'm already scheming to see what I can move around so I can get another Logan. Hopefully by Spring. :)

Thanks to Bob for building such a no-nonsense machine, and thanks to you guys in the group for the glowing reviews. That's what put me onto Logan in the first place, and once I saw the guitars in his Reverb shop I really didn't look any further. Going back to playing now.

Once the sun comes back, I'll take some proper glamour shots of this beauty.

- D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    DeepDangler, horax, pagedr and 2 others like this.
  7. LGOberean

Welcome, Stranger (he said in his best Texas drawl). When I got back into town I saw your thread on your new Logan sky blue tele, and commented there. I've been hoping to see a post here from you.

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thank you, Larry! I've been waiting until I actually had the guitar in hand before posting here. Didn't want to do an 'incoming' post here, although I kinda did one in the other forum.

- D

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Here I am, dressed up like Uncle Sam (the Later Years?).
    07-04-2015.jpg 07-04-2019 - 'Uncle Sam' at Garden Estates.jpg

Those pics were taken on the fourth of July in 2015 and last year, respectively. I wanted to update with one from today, but my wife isn't here to take the pic, and a selfie would capture as much of the shirt.

I did decide to to a video with me wearing that get up again, while playing my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele. Playing a patriotic song on a guitar made in the USA, and by a veteran, no less, seemed fitting.

They didn't thank you back in the day, @Bob Logan, but I'll say it now: thank you for your service.

10. LGOberean

Occasionally, I fantasize about guitars.

Kind of a "Well, duh!" statement for a TDPRI member, right? :rolleyes::twisted:

But what I'm talking about is different from the GAS that so often strikes us. I actually fantasize about guitars for other people. Most often, it's for Buddy, my kid brother.

He hasn't owned an electric guitar since the early 1980s, when he had a Peavey T-60. So every now and again, I fantasize about buying him a Logan Custom. But I'm retired, my wife is moving towards retirement, and our nation's economy is looking pretty uncertain, so I'm not really in a position to just buy him a guitar. But like I said, I fantasize about it.

Today I actually went to Bob's website and looked at the "Guitars for Sale" page with Buddy in mind. Again, not because I can actually afford to, but...you know...fantasizing.

Several caught me eye for what I think my brother would like, such as the flame top chambered (cabronita style?) tele with a set of TV Jones Classic pickups.

upload_2020-11-6_14-23-7.png

The last gig I saw him do in a band context, he played a borrowed Gretsch. So I think a cab style with Filter'tron type pickups might suit him.

If money were object for me :rolleyes: I would have already pulled the trigger on that one for Buddy, plus a couple of more for myself. (Yeah, I'm a greedy cuss by nature. :oops:)

11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Just put the old chrome plated brass barrels on my Logan pine Tele. Hoping to pick up another one of his guitars one of these days...

Attached Files:

LGOberean and StrangerNY like this.
  12. LGOberean

Beth and I made another trip in our travel trailer. We left a week ago today, and got back home to Corpus Christi Thursday afternoon. We stayed four days in Garner State Park...

[​IMG]

...and on Wednesday/ Veteran's Day/my birthday, we went on a Day Pass to the Lost Maples State Natural Area...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm posting these pics because TDPRI so often lives by the dictum, "Pics or it didn't happen." :twisted:

But what I came here to post about was Logan Custom related. As some may recall, I've been doing a series of demo videos on YouTube about my 7 Logan Custom guitars. I was going to make another installment in the series (actually a remake of one that was too long because I talked too much :oops:), but...

I'm considering a different video media platform besides YT. So I'm going to hold off making any more until I figure out what I'm going to do. More later, I guess...

13. LGOberean

Often on TDPRI the subject of the price of Teles comes up. Of course, mine are Logan custom made guitars, not stock/off-the-rack FMIC offerings found at your nearest GC. Still, whether I’m answering a question or just thinking of my collection of teles, I do the price comparison thing, and think of the price of mine in comparison to others.

But just stating what I paid for them doesn't really translate into today's prices. My collection has been acquired over the course of than 12 years, and Bob’s prices have gone up some in those dozen years. His base price has gone up (but only by $100). Some of the parts weren’t available in 2008, like Bob’s stainless steel bridge plates. That’s an upcharge from the standard chrome plated steel ashtray bridge.

So, I periodically go to Bob’s website and recalculate all five of my teles, to see what he would charge today if I were ordering them now, at his current prices, with exactly the same specs.

So the price range of my Logan Custom tele collection if Bob were to make them today according to his present price parameters would be $859-$1,084. The average price then would be $988.80. Oh, and that's about the teles. If I factor in the price of the two Logan Customs hanging on the wall behind the couch shot of the teles, the price range is unaffected, but the average would then be $992.

And just so you don't have to go searching for the visual...

[​IMG]

This post is more for me than anyone else, I guess. I’m just putting this here so I can refer back to it later.

Carry on…

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  14. LGOberean

This is neither Logan Custom or even guitar related, but I started a thread in the Bad Dog Café giving an update on my health condition after a doctor's visit Friday afternoon. If you want, you can read it here...

15. LGOberean

I've got a gig today. It's the same outdoor venue at a marina that I've played since May, the only venue I've played since March.

The temps are going to be in the low 50s or even high 40s. I can think of several fellow Logan owners, @Bob Logan comes immediately to mind, for example, that would think such temps are not that big a deal. But this south Texas boy is not looking forward to such temps when playing an outdoor gig. Plus, "light rain" is predicted in the forecast throughout the day, and this location is typically windy. The very thought of this is making me feel chilled.

I normally take two guitars to this gig, my Logan Custom Firecaster II tele and "Aggie," my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele.

10-12-2020 - Go-to gigging teles, electric & acoustic.png

But I'm seriously considering just taking Aggie. I don't know why, exactly, but switching guitars in the cold and damp sounds like too much work. Plus, if I just use Aggie, it's one less amp I have to set up. And the amp I would take is my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. Because it can handle the entire gig off of an internal battery, amp placement is simplified. I won't have to worry about proximity to an electrical outlet. This would be an advantage, because due to weather considerations, I'm not sure exactly where they'll have me set up.

I'm mostly just thinking out loud here. Or I guess thinking through my alternatives as I type.

16. LGOberean

Okay, I did the gig. I did take just the Logan acoustic/electric and my Fishman LBM Charge, as you can see in the pic below.

12-05-2020 - Market Day at Sunset Hideaway.jpg

And boy, was it cold!

The temp this afternoon was like 49°F, with winds nearly 20 mph. The stage I was on had a Christmas tree set up behind it, and it was blown over…twice! It was a windy and cold day.

I'm sure I feel the cold more than some of you from Wisconsin, NY, Illinois, etc. Blame it on me being a south Texas boy, or on the fact that I take 325 mg of aspirin per day as a blood thinner, or on the fact that I’ve lost a lot of weight in the last year or so. Any or all of those things could account for it.

But the plain and simple fact was, I was cold. I don’t recall ever considering ending a gig early before. It was that cold. My hands were so cold, it hurt to play fingerstyle, and I had trouble at time holding the pick. My fingers would go numb by the end of nearly every song, so lots of wrong notes and botched chords. My singing voice at times had an uncontrolled vibrato.

But I got good tips. Pity tips, probably…but I’ll take ‘em!

17. LGOberean

I'm one of those people that enjoys and doesn't (easily) get tired of Christmas hymns, carols and songs in the season. So I've been playing a lot of such fare on a classical I have, but also on my Logan tele acoustic/electric.

You know those videos of instrumental Christmas guitar that are one, two, three, eight :eek: hours long? Yeah, well think that, albeit shorter in length, and not as quality in terms of playing/recording. In fact, I haven't made any such videos of my own (yet?); I'm just having fun coming up with my own Christmas arrangements. I also play and sing some Christmas fare, but I tend to do that on either on one of my teles or that aforementioned Logan a/e.

Some of the things I'm doing are:

an instrumental medley of traditional English (British) Christmas songs, "Christmas Is Coming (the Goose Is Getting Fat)"/"Good King Wenceslas";
    "What Child Is This?";
    "Silent Night," which is done either as an instrumental, or playing and singing it in five languages (original German, Greek, Italian, Spanish & English);
    "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (again, either as an instrumental or singing it as well);
    "Carol of the Drum" (sung, and played by tapping technique on one of my acoustics);
    etc.

Anyone else getting into the season with their Logan Customs?

djh22 likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Merry Christmas to Logan Custom owners, from this Logan Custom owner. My most recent Christmas-playing-a-Logan pic I shared two posts above this one, on the 5th of this month, so for this post I'll use one from a few years ago...

12-22-2016 - Christmas party at GE - 2.jpg

djh22 and teletimetx like this.
  19. LGOberean

Happy New Year to all my fellow Logan Custom owners! May 2021 bring you blessings.

djh22 likes this.
  20. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Put in a custom build request today, sent deposit. Super excited!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.