1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Congratulations - that's awesome news! I think you should treat yourself to another Logan as a reward ;)

But in all seriousness, lifestyle changes that include new diet and exercise plans are no small fete.

LGOberean likes this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks! In the last five days since being taking off the drug, my glucose readings went up a little a couple of times, but overall I'm still in normal ranges. I expected my body to have to work harder now without the medication. I just have to stick to my routines and continue to monitor my glucose levels and figure out what balance of diet and exercise is necessary to stay drug free.

Now as for the idea of a new Logan Custom as a reward, it sounds right when you say it! Maybe I'll let you talk to my wife about it. :twisted::lol:

Pick_n_Strum and horax like this.
  3. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Can anyone confirm if Logan will do a short scale neck on a tele style body? 24-3/4” conversion or even 24”?

4. LGOberean

@branbolio I don't specifically know the answer to that question, so I can't confirm it. My short answer is to ask Bob.

I can understand why you want that question answered before pursuing the Logan Custom option, if that is specifically what you're looking for. I take it as your being respectful of Bob's time, and can appreciate that.

As you probably have already discovered, on the custom order page of Bob's website, there is no mention of a short scale neck. He specifies offering necks with different profiles, thicknesses, woods (natural, flamed, Birdseye or roasted maple) and fretboards (maple, rosewood, ebony), but doesn't mention scale lengths.

The only special note Bob has in this category of necks says that "Birdseye necks are special order," and he therefore advises that you "note [it] in the comments if you want this." I would apply that same principle to the idea of scale length. Note that in the comments as you fill out his online form.

And of course, filling out the form is not the same as filling out a contract/placing a custom order. That doesn't begin until you send Bob the deposit for the work to begin. Bob just uses this as a way of starting the conversation between himself and a potential customer. He can get a very good idea of what you would like from this form, as well as giving him a sense of what time frames might be involved in the build.

So, all of that said, I'd say talk to Bob about it, either by his online form or email or call. He's an easygoing guy, and great to work with.

5. pashkop

pashkop NEW MEMBER!

a good friend of mine has bought several guitars from bob and he loves them all. they are great guitars. this friend has upwards of 125 guitars though... he can't stop buying them.... lol

anyway, i have 3 fender tele's and dig them all, but decided i wanted a more "rock/metal" tele and knew what i wanted, so reached out to bob. we went back forth a few times, via email, till we were on the same page of what i was looking for. took him about 4 weeks to finish and i'm very happy with it. thought i'd share it in this forum.

IMG_5629.JPG IMG_5632.JPG IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5638.JPG

6. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Thanks for the help, I put a email to him and heard back that he can do a 24 3/4 conversion neck! That’s good news.

I’m also noticing he only mentions 1-11/16” nut width on all his builds. Again before I ask him, I’ll ask here:
    Has anyone gotten a 1 5/8” nut width?

7. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Alright so she finally arrived today! Lake Placid Blue finish with a good ol Bigsby installed. It looks and plays so good, and the Klein '52 pickups are so nice. I'm in love with this guitar. Bob knocked it out of the park.

Attached Files:

8. LGOberean

@pagedr congrats! I like the color. From what I've seen of pics of teles that are LPB, it seems to me that the color ranges from a baby blue to a darker hue, like yours. Maybe it's just the lighting in the room when the picture was taken, or maybe it's just my old eyes. Anyway, I prefer the latter.

I've wondered about a Bigsby every now and again, but I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense. Again, that's just me, based on what I play, the way I play.

And I've wondered about the Klein pickups, as well. Did you already have some experience with Kleins? What made you choose the 52's over the Broadcaster or Nocaster sets? And have you had any experience with DiMarzio Twang Kings? If so, how would you say the Klein 52's compare to the TKs?

pagedr likes this.
  9. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Appreciate it! Yeah I intentionally made sure that the shade of LPB was going to be a bit darker, that's my preference as well. I've never had a Tele with a Bigsby but I've always wanted one, for whatever reason, so now I can finally cross that off my list.

Regarding the pickups, I'd only played the Klein '52's once previously, but I just remembered them sounding really nice to my ear. The Broadcaster and Nocaster were just a bit more hot than what I was looking for. I have played a TK neck pickup before and I do think it sounds pretty similar to what I'm hearing from the Klein.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

I've been preoccupied lately, in large part by getting ready for another one of our camping trips. We'll be heading out on the road a little later this morning. When we camp in state parks and natural areas, we often get little to no cell service connection. So I'll be out of pocket for the rest of the week. I'll check in when I can, and when I get back.

11. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

I actually spoke with Bob Logan (via email) a couple of years ago about doing a Tele build with a 24 3/4" scale and he said he can do that, no problem.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

I'm back from my camping trip. It was nice to get "unplugged" from the Internet for a while; it's also nice to get back. :)

@Teledelphia I'm glad you chimed in with that answer to the question @branbolio asked about short scale, 24.75". I was guessing that such a request would be no problem for Bob, but I couldn't answer that myself, so I'm glad you commented.

13. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

14. LGOberean

My wife's birthday is coming up at the end of the week, and we're going to do some camping in Inks Lake Texas State Park to celebrate. I've decided to take along my Logan Custom tele-style acoustic/electric for this upcoming trip.

01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 2a.jpeg 01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 2b.jpeg

It actually makes a good camping guitar. Tele dimensions, obviously, so the body size is small. It's lightweight, and because it goes in a flat case, it's easy to take along. Played unplugged, it sounds a little like a parlor guitar. And it plays as easily as a Logan Custom tele, so it's a lot of fun.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  15. LGOberean

We're on our last night camping, heading home tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics of the Logan Custom acoustic/electric in action (unplugged)...

09-07-2020 - at Inks Lake State Park.jpg 09-09-2020 - at Inks Lake State Park.jpg

16. doomcaster

doomcaster TDPRI Member

Joined the Logan bandwagon when I got this one from Bob's Reverb shop last month. Changed the knobs, pickup ring, and added locking tuners, and now I can't put it down. Easily the smoothest-playing, most resonant guitar I own. Definitely won't be my last Logan.
    IMG_20200911_085536_2.jpg

Pick_n_Strum, djh22, pashkop and 2 others like this.
  17. LGOberean

Congrats, @doomcaster and welcome! That neck looks like it's got some amazing flame to it! Is it tinted, or roasted? Like the PG-less body. I went that way with my last one (on the right in my avatar pic) and I really like it.

18. doomcaster

doomcaster TDPRI Member

Thanks @LGOberean! The neck's roasted maple. The flame wasn't advertised, but I dig it. It's my first roasted maple neck and I understand the appeal now. Just feels more stable and looks great.

Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the lack of pickguard, but I couldn't imagine putting one on a piece of korina this pretty. I really like the way Bob treated the wood in this guitar, not using any grain filler or anything. It looks and feels great.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. LGOberean

I have a gig tonight. It's the same venue I've talked about before. In a nearby coastal town, a dockside restaurant at a marina has booked me once again (after a brief hiatus because of the Kung Flu scare, they've been booking me about every 4-6 weeks).

I'm going to make a change in the arsenal of guitars I take tonight. I almost always play my Logan Customs at gigs, and tonight will be no exception. For acoustic/electric duties, it will be my Logan Custom tele acoustic/electric, as it has been so many times before. And for a year or more now, my second Logan Custom Firecaster has been my go-to tele for gigs.

Okay, pics. It's hard to make out in the pic below on the left, but this is a pic snapped at a gig at the very venue I'll be at tonight. The guitar I'm playing is my Logan a/e tele, and on a guitar stand to my right is my Firecaster II. The second pic is a little clearer, and again I'm playing the a/e tele, with my Firecaster II on stand to my left. (Man, I need some better pics of me gigging with those guitars!)

05-30-2020 - Gig at Sunset Hideaway, IOB.png 10-12-2019 - Gig at The Brass Turtle in Ingleside on the Bay.jpg

Tonight, I'm going to use a different tele: my Logan Firecaster I, the first Firecaster Bob made for me back in 2012. I play it quite a bit at home, but I don't think I've gigged with it since I got the second Firecaster. Both my Firecasters are featured in my avatar pic, but here's a closer, slightly clearer (I'm such a lousy photographer, sorry) look at Firecaster I.

upload_2020-9-18_11-43-35.png

I'm choosing to gig with this one tonight because...well, it's a great player, and deserves to get out every now and then. But It also has sounds in it that none of my other four Logan teles can replicate. It has Bill Lawrence's 5-way wiring configuration in it. In position #2 (from the bridge moving forward to the neck), both pickups are "half out of phase." And this pickup selection gives a good approximation of position #2 on a Strat, i.e., "quack." I don't use that a lot, but I do have a handful of songs in my repertoire that I like to use the quack setting for, so that's what I'll be doing tonight.

Now I've got to get back to work. I need to change strings on the guitars, and take care of a few other tasks before leaving in a few hours for the gig.

djh22 likes this.
  20. Asahi-Ichiban

Asahi-Ichiban NEW MEMBER!

2020 was supposed to mark my first sojourn to Nashville where it was my intention to purchase a Telecaster in the motherland. Due to world events I had to settle for a virtual trip and it was upon this adventure that I encountered a Logan Customs guitar. I was unfamiliar with the brand and purchased it straight on looks. When the guitar arrived I was not disappointed! I have been a T-type player during my 23 year and counting tenure as a musician and this has replaced my beloved 98 American standard as my go to guitar. This 10.65 lb Northern Ash behemoth is a thing of beauty and I look forward to continuing to bond with it. I rolled the dice on this one and won. Long time lurker first time poster. tele.jpg

horax, Pick_n_Strum, djh22 and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.