1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

It's been about a month, I guess, since I posted my first installment of "My Logan Custom Guitars, Demo Video #1 - Logan Custom Challenger." I promised another, but with a camping trip that covered 8 states in 12 days, and other distractions, it's taken me until now to do installment #2.

Actually, I did one last night, but I inadvertently filmed it portrait, not landscape mode, and the result was chopping of the right side of the video. On my phone and laptop, it chopped the headstock. On my big screen TV, it chopped me in half! :eek:o_O

So I did another take, and uploaded it just a little while ago. Note: I don't have any fancy video cameras or software. I'm just using my iPhone. Details of the guitar, and the settings on the guitar and amp are given in the description to the video.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  2. LGOberean

Wow! That's a new one on me! I didn't know that Bob did V-shaped guitars. I'm no expert on Flying V's, but it looks to me like Bob did some distinctive design touches to that classic shape. Glad you're happy, and thanks for sharing.

djh22, Pick_n_Strum and calyx9 like this.
  3. calyx9

calyx9 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks..yeah I asked for a unique V and he nailed it :) not his usual haha

djh22, Pick_n_Strum and LGOberean like this.
  4. Sensates

Sensates TDPRI Member

Years ago, I ordered a Cabronitae from Bob after seeing these new Fenders in some magazines and felling for them. It was a smooth ordering and building process and the guitar gets built relatively fast. Unfortunately during transit it was stuck somewhere and never made it to the destination. When USPS could not find the guitar after a month I was heartbroken and filed for paypal claim. In the end there was no trace of the guitar, but I got the money back, and it made me vary of making any big purchases online.

Fast forward to 8 years later now, I caught Peter Frampton's story on his lost LP Custom on youtube. It inspired me to search for the lost Logan, and to my surprise, I found 2 photos of it in the internet. It is easy to identify the guitar because it is reliced by Bob before shipped. Eventually I made contact with the owner and knowing it was basically stolen, he agreed to sell to me provided I gave him the right info, which I did. I'm so excited to finally able to play it, but I had to contact Bob about this. After some correspondence, all I gotta say is I'm very thankful for Bob to let me keep the guitar. So I paid the seller what he paid for, and got the guitar back. He didn't have any information other than he got it from an online ad.

After 8 long years, I'm so glad to be finally able to play this magnificent Logan Cabronitae.

Logan cabronitae.jpg

5. LGOberean

Wow, what a story! Glad you found it. Of my 7 Logan Custom guitars, one I picked up while I was visiting Bob in Wisconsin, the other six made their way to me without incident. You are in Kuala Lumpur? I can see how international transit, customs, etc. can make delivery a scaring thing.

BTW, are those TV Jones Classics pickups?

6. Sensates

Sensates TDPRI Member

International purchase can get kind of scary, but I believe things are getting better nowadays. Yes I am in Kuala Lumpur, wish I live nearby too.. then I would bring my guitars for a Logan treatment! The neck just feel right!

Yes those are TV Jones classics neck and powertron bridge, which rocks! The Mexican Cabronita I bought eventually (and sold) doesn't hold a candle to this guitar.

djh22 and LGOberean like this.
  7. LGOberean

Here's a four-minute video of my Logan Custom teles, a teaser for demo videos to come. Between the video's narration and it's description, this is self-explanatory. More to come...

djh22 likes this.
  8. LGOberean

Well, I finished a video demo of my Logan Custom Firecaster II just a while ago. But for some reason, after going through the whole process of "Uploading" and "Processing," it's not showing up in my videos on my YouTube channel. I hope it's just sitting in a waiting room somewhere in cyberspace. If it comes to it, I'll reload it again. As soon as I've got it to share here, I will.

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

NLGD!
    I finally got it from Bob very recently. Been so busy I’ve only had a chance just in the last couple nights to play it. I’m very satisfied! The workmanship is above its weight class. Especially the neck work! He starts with a solid foundation of a top quality premanufactured neck, but it’s what he does with it that makes all the difference. I know there’s no way any neck manufacturer turns out a neck like this. No way. The workmanship is exquisite. The rest ain’t too shabby either. I love the fact that the wood is allowed to be the star of the show on the body. Bob is a gentleman and a pleasure to work with. He always replied to my many questions quickly and informatively. Special thanks to the Logan owners for all the opinions especially @LGOberean I would never have known of him otherwise.

Here’s the specs:

9.5” radius
    Thick standard neck (.87-.92). Perfect for me.
    Vintage split tuners
    Vintage tall frets
    Black Bakelite pickguard
    Wilkinson vintage bridge with compensated brass saddles
    4 way switching with position 4 in series
    Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. (I almost hesitated on these because I thought they might be too hot. They’re great. )
    Setup for 11s. I currently have a set of EXL115s on it.
    Also, it sustains for days and I actually love the way it sounds unplugged. (But that’s for another thread:twisted:)

F9ADF5CF-2212-4A6A-8A94-D9889E57C725.jpeg 721F31E6-A391-42B9-95C0-DD359BC6328B.jpeg 8DC86BC7-AFB4-4BD0-9F0F-2E02280D49BC.jpeg F2B4F7C6-89AA-4FE5-A535-594B2A60C8FE.jpeg

10. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Mira backwards!

11. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Its backwards!

8barlouie likes this.
  12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I get that a lot.

13. LGOberean

Okay it took a while, but I finally got 'r done. That's right. :rolleyes:

Because of the length of the video (sorry about that), YouTube required a step before uploading or processing or whatever. I missed it the first time around, back on Tuesday. Then when I tried again, I noticed the step I missed, and corrected that.

But I then had a devil of a time figuring out the new YouTube Studio Video Editor. Even now, the end result is still slightly flawed. In my first attempt ever to trim a little off the very beginning and very end of the video, I cut a little too much off on both ends! :(:oops: Oh, well, I'm not going to try to recover those lost few seconds. Hopefully, my editing skills will improve.

So a video I shot on Tuesday, while it was still June, gets posted on July 3rd. Here, then, is "My Logan Custom Guitars, Demo Video #3 - Firecaster II."

P.S. My wife and I did some camping in our RV over the weekend, and got back home the same day I took this video, Tuesday, June 30th. I had not changed out of the clothes I was wearing while camping, so please pardon my “hole-y,” baggy jeans. My wife will be chagrined when she sees this.

Pick_n_Strum and 8barlouie like this.
  14. LGOberean

Today is a special day for all of us American TDPRI members. Happy Independence Day.

But from a personal perspective, and more to the point of this thread, a Logan Custom perspective, this day is significant to me. Twelve years ago today, I found out about Bob Logan and Logan Custom Guitars. Settle in, TDPRI members and Logan Custom owners. I feel a story coming on...

I made a New Year’s resolution in 2008, to buy my first electric guitar. I had never owned one, and figured 2008 was the year. I had started the year out thinking I wanted a Strat. But after borrowing a friend’s Strat and playing it for a couple of weeks, I realized it wasn’t for me. Shortly after that experience, I played my first Tele, a Highway One, and I just knew; I had to have a Tele.

In the process of my search, 145 months ago, I discovered the resource that is TDPRI, and joined. I had considered several models—MiM Standard, Highway One, Deluxe Blackout—during those months. The front runner was the Deluxe Blackout Tele, but I couldn’t find one anywhere in Texas to test drive. Of course, I could have ordered it, but I was hesitant to do that. So my search continued, either for a Blackout or one I could play that would win me over. The Highway One was a close second.

So, twelve years ago today, July 4, 2008, I went to the local GC early in the morning for their big sale. I was the first one in line, and got a T-shirt for my trouble. They also handed me a printout of the items on sale. As I browsed through the guitars on that printout, I noticed a 2007 Highway One Tele listed for a ridiculously good price. If memory serves, it was priced at $300!

When the doors opened, I made my way to the first sales guy I could find, pointed to the page with the Hwy 1 Tele listed, and asked, “Where is this Tele?” He looked over my shoulder as he started to point, then hesitated for a moment. Then he sheepishly said, “Uh...in that guy’s hands!”

[​IMG]

But of course, this is about my history with Bob Logan and Logan Custom Guitars, so that's not the end of the story. Frustrated and disillusioned, I left the store. At home, I thought of searching eBay, to see if I could stumble upon a good deal that way. As I searched, I noticed a listing by seller I’d never heard of before: Bob Logan.

Someone had made a deposit on a custom build by Bob, and Bob built it to his specifications, but then the guy lost his job and couldn't pay the balance and collect his guitar. So Bob had listed it on eBay to hopefully recoup his investment. At the end of Bob’s description of that tele, he gave the URL for his website, and said, “What do you want? I customize.”

For some reason, that really got my attention. The idea of getting something custom built in America according to my specifications, and at really reasonable rates, intrigued me. But it also scared me. So I began reading Bob Logan’s feedback on eBay. His rating was 100% positive, and there were multiple feedback statements of people that bought two, three, four, even five guitars from Bob, all raving about his handiwork, as well as how reliable and amiable a seller/builder he was.

So I went to his website, looked around, and filled out the form on his site, just to start a conversation between us. He replied within a matter of hours. Over the course of several days, he put up with all sorts of questions from this absolute newbie to telecasters. So about a week into the month of July of that year, I pulled the trigger and sent my deposit, and a month later, I had my first ever tele...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...my first of five Logan Custom teles...

[​IMG]

Okay, my trip down memory lane is complete. Thank you, @Bob Logan for the great work that you do, and more importantly to me, your friendship.

Just one more thing I'll leave with you all...

Uncle Sam (the later years) says, "I want YOU to have a happy and safe Independence Day!"
    upload_2020-7-4_16-59-23.png

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  15. LGOberean

I'm about 15 minutes away from driving to a nearby coastal town for a Friday evening gig. Should've posted sooner. I'm not going to post pics now, but it's the same rig as the last two gigs at this venue anyway: my Firecaster II into one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs for electric set; Logan Custom tele acoustic/electric into a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. I'll line out from both of those amps to my Alto TS310 powered speaker I use as a portable PA.

16. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Well, I put in an order this weekend with Bob for another Tele build. Pretty excited about this one, it’s a guitar I’ve been picturing in my head for a while so it’ll be cool to see it come to life. Will share pictures once it’s done in the next few weeks.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. LGOberean

On Sunday, a new member of TDPRI posted a discussion thread in the main forum asking for advice on what luthier or custom builder to look into for a custom build. I’m sure y’all can guess my reply.

After I replied, someone else posted, in broad terms categorizing Bob’s guitars as being priced under a grand, and another builder’s prices as over a grand. I responded by saying “That’s sort of correct.” I went on to mention Bob’s base prices, saying that the final price you pay for a Logan Custom depends on what options you choose.

There’s no easy way to determine what the average price of Bob’s custom builds for people. I don’t want to take a survey, asking owners to divulge how much they’ve spent on their custom ordered Logan(s), or one Bob had for sale on his website.

I could gauge it by my own Logans, but not all of them were custom built for me according to my choices of specifications and features. Furthermore, my Logan Customs were acquired over the course of eleven years, from 2008-19. Bob’s pricing has changed in the last dozen years (though not by much) and there are more extra options to choose from.

I thought of determining what each of mine would cost if someone today were to order guitars with the exact same specs as my seven Logan Customs. Here’s that info…

• Mahogany – $900
    • “Logo” thinline – $794
    • BSB – $1,079
    • Firecaster I – $983
    • Firecaster II – $1,043
    • Acoustic/electric tele – $999
    • Challenger – $999

The last two on that list are priced as Bob priced them. They were both guitars Bob made and had both left in “stock” (so to speak) after he discontinued both of those guitar lines. So I didn’t custom order them or spec them out, they were as Bob made them and priced them. As I said, they’re discontinued, and I don’t know if Bob would take a special order for either style guitar. I just list them here at the price Bob set because they’re a part of my collection.

Anyway, the average price of the guitars spec’d out the same as my seven Logan Custom guitars according to Bob’s prices today is $971.

Another way to figure what Bob’s guitars sell for on average is to look at the guitars he has for sale on his website. I checked the prices of the 27 guitars Bob currently has listed for sale. Here are the details…

Of the 27 guitars listed, the least expensive was priced at $829. (Actually, two are listed at that price.) The most expensive of the lot was one that I’d buy right now, if I could: Bob’s Limited Edition White Starling. Its price tag is $1,795.

Of the 27, a dozen were priced under a grand ($829-$999). The remaining 15 for sale were priced over a grand ($1,029-$1,795). The average price of all 27 is $1,090.92.

Okay, there you have it, the rundown that nobody asked for. I actually found the process of researching this helpful to me. I hope it’s useful to someone else.

djh22 and pagedr like this.
  18. LGOberean

When I first saw your post, I "Liked" it. Didn't mean to let a week go by without saying something. I was wondering what the specs were for this new Logan build. Or are you intentionally withholding specific information so as to pique our interest? :twisted:

19. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I figure it's more fun as a surprise. Though there might be a Bigsby involved.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. LGOberean

This isn't directly Logan Custom related, but I just wanted to celebrate and share here with all y'all anyway. ("All y'all." If that isn't enough of a clue, I'll just tell y'all straight out that I am a native citizen of the Lone Star State.)

As of this past Wednesday, I am Metformin-free! Back when I had my heart attack (six years ago this month), the same blood work that reveal that I had had a cardiac event almost indicated that I had uncontrolled Type II diabetes. Since then, I've been on the medication Metformin. Over the course of six years, I've steadily reduced the amount of Metformin I've been taking, from 2,250 mg (750 mg tablets, 3x a day) to one 500 mg tablet once a day.

Last September, my doctor said to me, "You are an excellent candidate for reversing your Type II diabetes through diet and exercise." I made that comment my goal, and as of Wednesday, I reached it. My doctor took me off Metformin. I'm continuing the same disciplines/routines that got me here. If you want more details, I created this thread for the topic.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.