1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

There’s still a Logan around my place. It’s a joyful thing to play.

466E5597-CBB9-40BC-92B6-1F85536B32EF.jpeg

Pick_n_Strum, LGOberean and horax like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen a lot of good looking Logan Custom guitars--besides my own, of course:twisted:--but a few of them for various reasons will always be instantly recognizable. "Root Beer" is such a guitar for me. I never get tired of seeing pics of that A&W, Bill. Thanks for posting.

teletimetx likes this.
  3. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

hello everyone...have not been on here for awhile...the reason is...around end of February i had a heart attack...i landed in the emergency dept of the hospital...it took 12 hours to get a bed...then a few days later i had a procedure where they put a thing up my arm and look at my heart....they found i had a valve that had to be replaced and also i had a blocked artery so i got a bypass .. spent 3 days in intensive care then went to another place for a week...then sent home....i will be venturing out doors at end of this week...and giving a try at getting into my car...not driving...just trying it out....to my surprise i can still play lead guitar and bass if my wife or daughter puts one of them on my lap....i cant lift as they are too heavy for me but can sit them on my lap and play like that....i am practising walking and other exercises...boring....anyway just wanted you all to know i am still alive and will be 71 in about 3 weeks....what a way to celebrate a birthday

horax likes this.
  4. LGOberean

Glad you're still with us and checking in, Sanford. Celebrating a birthday after a heart attack and bypass surgery? As they say, sure beats the alternative! :rolleyes::twisted:

BTW, I did that myself back in August of 2014: heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery. I was glad for that next birthday, and every one since then. Interesting how there are some parallels here. I can no longer stand to play. I can still pick up my Logan mahogany tele (9 lbs. 2 oz.), but it sure feels heavier than it used to. I'm sure those basses of yours outweigh my mahogany. Fortunately for me, my Logan Custom Firecasters (see avatar pic) are just a little over and a little under 6 lbs.

5. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

glad you’re ok!
    I’d say you’ve earned yourself another telecaster!

6. horax

I think your newest firecaster is my favorite of your guitars. Just love the wood binding and everything that went into that!

7. horax

so awesome!

teletimetx likes this.
  8. telecaster man

hello Larry....yes you right...coming through it is far better than the alternative.....i had planned to go to africa in June to visit my two llttle grand daughters...that went down the tubes...now i gotta wait till the corona thing is done

as for standing up while playing....when i get stronger i will give it a try and see what happens

9. LGOberean

I wish you the best on that, Sanford. As for me, I haven't given up completely on getting back to gigging standing up, but so far it's not a good idea. I'm just not real steady on my feet if I'm standing still for very long. For some reason, I'm better when I move around/keep walking.

I can stand up and walk. I've refused to use a scooter or even a walker. For walks in my neighborhood with Beth and our dog Bella, I don't even use a cane. When we go on camping trips and take hikes on trails, I'll use a walking stick, like a staff, really. The staff plus my hair, beard and attire gives me a sort of Gandalf-in-a-Stetson look. :oops::twisted:
    10-29-2019 - Me in Garner State Park - 1.jpg

Since my bypass surgery, I've done one gig standing up. Last year, an assisted living facility in the neighboring town of Portland had a flag pole dedication, and they booked me do the music. One of the residents who was a WWII vet did the honors of raising the flag. The whole ceremony was probably less than 45 minutes, my part even less than that. So I stayed on my feet the whole time I performed.
    05-21-2019 - Flag pole dedication ceremony at The Pavilion in Portland.jpg

Obviously, I chose my Logan Custom Challenger instead of one of my Logan teles or my acoustic/electric tele from Bob. Not that any of those guitars would have been inappropriate for the occasion, but I just thought that a my most colorful guitar would go best with my choice of my star-spangled banner T-shirt.:twisted:

horax likes this.
  10. telecaster man

Happy Easter Everyone

LGOberean likes this.
  11. Shawnm26

Shawnm26 TDPRI Member

Got my order in! 72 thinline white blonde in an opaque finish lindy fralin widerange humbuckers a vintage modern c neck maple fretboard 7.25 radius with bullet trusrod. Im left-handed and He was having trouble sourcing me a larger neck but im excited about the vintage correct to the era style neck

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Congratulations, Shawn! We'll look forward to your posting pics after you have your Logan Custom in hand.

FWIW, I'm a southpaw as well, but I play right handed. There's actually been a lot of discussion here on TDPRI about lefties playing righty. Quite a few TDPRI members fall into this category.

In my case, my Dad was a (right-handed) guitar player, and so guitars were always around growing up. Back in the '60s, when I started plunking around on Dad's guitars, I had never seen or even heard of a left-handed guitar. So when I started, I just figured that it's a right-handed world, and if I wanted to play guitar, playing righty was the price of admission.

And I had yet to see Jimi Hendrix play, and so I knew of no examples of guys flipping a guitar over and/or restringing it. Quite frankly, that didn't even occur to me. I just started banging away on Dad's guitars, and quickly got accustomed to it.

You're younger than my youngest child, so I'm guessing your experience was different, in terms of left-handed players being more high profile, with greater availability (comparatively speaking) of left-handed guitars. I've said for years that I've been spoiled by Bob. Whenever players talk about a guitar they like but it doesn't have quite the specs they want, I just smile. You want a BSB but a 9.5" radius, with a Medium C profile neck? A 4-way switch instead of a 3-way? Vintage split shaft tuners? No problem! I'll bet that for someone looking for a left-handed guitar, being able to custom order one MiW (Made in Wisconsin) in a price range comparable to an FMIC MiM is a great feeling.

13. LGOberean

For years, I've resisted making videos of me reviewing my Logan Custom guitars. Of course, it's not because I'm not proud of them. For a dozen years, most every gig I've played has involved at least one Logan guitar onstage. And ever since I acquired one of Bob's acoustic/electrics, my shows are almost always all Logan, guitar-wise.

I've resisted making demo/review videos of my Logans mainly because I don't see myself as anything special as a player. And anytime I'm watching/listening to videos I've done, I don't hear everything I did right. I hear everything I did wrong, every flubbed note.

But I do believe that there should be more videos available showcasing Logan Custom guitars, and so I guess that, even if my guitar playing isn't perfect, as long as it's in tune and my playing isn't horrible, then people can at least get a sense of what the guitar can do, or is capable of in better hands.

I do have a YouTube channel, and a couple of dozen videos, give or take. But only a few of them are of me playing one of my Logan guitars, and even then I'm just accompanying myself while singing a particular song, not doing a kind of demo/review thing. So you can consider it either advanced notice or fair warning, but I plan to make and post more videos that actually showcase and review my Logan Custom guitars.

It seemed reasonable to me to start with the first one I bought, my mahogany, and go straight through, demo'ing them in order in which I acquired them. But the mahogany has a switching issue right now, and I haven't changed the strings on the BSB since I got my Firecaster II last June. And actually, it may be just as long since I've changed the strings on the "Logo" thinline, the second one I bought.

So, I won't do videos of them in order, but will more or less randomly choose them. I haven't gigged with any of them in 7+ weeks, but for the last week or so the ones I've played at home the most are my Challenger, acoustic/electric and the Firecaster II. As I'm writing this, I think I'll start with the two Logan Custom "outliers," not one of the 5 teles. No one has yet made a demo vid of a Logan Custom Challenger, to my knowledge. And only one or two exist of Bob's tele style acoustic/electric. So I'll start with one of those. Stay tuned...

teletimetx likes this.
  14. LGOberean

Well, I tried tonight, with my wife's help, to do a demo video of my Logan Custom Challenger. I'm not writing out a script in advance, so my first attempts at winging it came out too wordy. I tried talking less, playing more, but my other attempts were either too sloppy as far as my playing goes, or, in one video, my dog Bella decided to get up on the couch beside me and lick her private regions! So we gave up for tonight, and will try again tomorrow.

15. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Hey all, I'm excited to join the Logan Custom Guitars Club. I just put my 1st order in yesterday (some of you may notice some new likes to very old posts as I drift through this thread). So far, I'm very impressed with the customer service. I feel like at the prices he charges, he does not need to respond to me as quickly as he does. I don't think I've waited more than 20 minutes - I did feel bad sending a couple follow-ups about things I didn't think about after submitting my build sheet.

Anyway, onto the specs of what I ordered. 1st of all, this Fender Custom Shop was what I had in mind while ordering (without the relicing - decided I'd rather let it age naturally):

[​IMG]

For specs on my Logan, I went with the following:
    • Type: T-style Vintage
    • Wood: Alder - recommended by Bob; I wasn't too sure about seeing so much of the grain texture so this is what he recommended. The more I look though, the more I like seeing the grain texture on his builds. Plus, you can see some of it in the guitar above.
    • Color: Hunter Green with White Base Coat - Also recommended by Bob. We talked about it and looked at pictures; it seems like Bob's hunter green is closest to this "sherwood green metallic." Also, I couldn't care less about the "metallic" aspect of the sherwood green metallic.
    • Pickups: Dimarzio Twang King - Another Bob recommendation. I wanted the 90's Nashville sound. I think these with the Alder body will get me very close.
    • Neck: Medium C Maple with a "deeper" Amber Tint - 22 frets. The thing that mattered most to me was the neck profile. I really love the Fender Deep C, so I sent him measurements of mine to get close.
    • Appointments/Bridge: Raw Stainless with Logan Raw Stainless Bridge.
    • Tuners: Vintage Nickel Split Shaft
    • Pickguard: I initially picked white but I'm thinking of switching to parchment or vintage cream. What do you guys think? I'm kind of thinking parchment now. I think the white will definitely be too white.
    For color reference, this is a picture of Logan's Hunter Green. I put the Logan guitar on the left and the Fender I was looking at on the right. I definitely feel his hunter green is what I'm after:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I realize I keep mentioning the Fender for reference but I am truly excited that it will be a Logan!

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

Hello, P_n_S, welcome! I did notice that several of my old posts were getting new likes, and so I thought I check in here to see if you've posted a comment, and...sure enough!

As for the specs on that Logan, I would have made most of the same choices myself: the split shaft tuners, Medium C profile maple with amber tint, Twang Kings and Bob's SS bridge plate.

As for the pickguard to go with that Hunter Green, I can't help ya. For one thing, my latest tele from Bob I opted for no pickguard at all, and before that, Blackguards all the way. I would go with white (or cream or parchment) for certain color schemes, though.

But honestly, I have a hard time telling the difference between white, cream and parchment, in pics, anyway. My father was color blind. My wife assures me I'm not, but I swear, if not color blind, I'm at at least color nearsighted. :twisted:

17. Pick_n_Strum

Thanks for the welcome! It's my first custom guitar order from anywhere - it's funny how the smallest detail will make you (as in me) nitpick. I mean the pickguard is probably the next cheapest item after strings and knobs yet I was almost being irrational about what color to choose. Guess that's the fun in a custom guitar. I did decide to do vintage cream and I locked into that.

Side question for you LGO: if I chose raw stainless appointments, do you know if the tuners will be raw stainless even though I picked vintage split shaft? I'd ask Bob but I've already bugged him a ton and I'm not really that hung up about it so I thought I'd ask the resident Logan expert.

Thank you for making this thread by the way! It was instrumental (pun intended) to me finally deciding to order a Logan.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Bearing in mind that an "expert" is just a has been drip that was forced out under pressure, I'll attempt a reply...

About the split shaft tuners and bridge plates, I've never asked Bob that question, nor did I compare the metal alloys of the tuners to the bridge plates on the guitars hanging in his shop the one time I visited him (September 2018).

What I do know is that two of my five Logan Custom teles (my BSB and Firecaster II) have both the split shaft vintage style tuners and the raw SS bridge plate. The tuners on each aren't SS. And on Bob's website, there is only one listing for a "Vintage Split Shaft" tuner option, and it doesn't say whether it's raw SS or chrome plated. I imagine somebody makes such a set of tuners, but that would probably be a secialty item to work out with Bob.

I've never paid much attention to the disparity between the chrome plated split shaft tuners and the raw stainless bridge plate on either of my guitars. The BSB I got in 2011, and it became my go-to gigging tele. That's not to say that the previous two teles weren't great guitars. I still gigged them on occasion, but the BSB was the most versatile for gigging purposes. And it retained that "go-to" status until the advent of my most recent Logan tele, the Firecaster II. Now it's the one that gets the most gigs. And it has the same tuners and bridge plate as the BSB.

Back in July 2008, my Logan Custom mahogany tele was my first ever custom ordered guitar. And I foolishly though that it would be my first and last. :rolleyes: Now I'm absolutely spoiled to getting just what I want! :oops: I have seven Logan Custom guitars, five of them teles. But I think I'm done now...I think...

Glad you came to a decision on the pickguard. Especially when it comes down to choices of color preference, each person has to make that call for himself. It's almost like there's no wrong answer, only what's right for you. Unless you're talking about an Antigua finish, then all bets are off. :twisted: What I've learned through the course of 5 Logan teles in 12 years is that I'm fixated on certain features: maple neck and board, preferably a one-piece; split shaft tuners; 4-way switch.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  19. Pick_n_Strum

In case anyone is curious I did confirm with Bob: the stainless steel appointments include the stainless steel Logan bridge and pewter knobs. The control plate is still chrome and the tuners are whatever you choose, in my case vintage split shaft in chrome. If I get a wild hair I may try and relic the tuners and control plate on my end to take some of the shine away. The most important thing to me was the Logan bridge anyway.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. LGOberean

The top of this page starts with a picture of a Logan tele belonging to @teletimetx (Bill). He dubbed this guitar "Root Beer," because of the Ash & Walnut woods (A&W = "Root Beer").

Well, Bob let me know this morning that he has made another "Root Beer"! :) He's calling it "Rootbeer's Older Brother." The same look of Ash & Walnut, but with some different specs. One significant difference is the Lindy Fralin Pure PAF humbucker in the neck. I'm more of a single coil guy myself, although at one time I did consider either a mini-humbucker or a Firebird for a neck pickup, so I dunno...I'd sure like to hear those Fralin pickups, though.

The pics and the specs can be found here...

https://logancustomguitars.com/elec...-rootbeers-older-brother-electric-guitar.html

teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.