1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Several Logan Custom owners here have strats. I know there are more, but two come immediately to mind: one owned by @telecaster man (a.k.a., Sanford), the other by @yakfishnick (Nick). Sanford comes immediately to mind because his strat was one of the very first, if not the very first, to be referenced in this owners club thread. Nick's comes readily to mind because of the color.

Sanford has almost always favored a natural finish on his guitars and basses, and so his strat from 11 years ago was a natural finish and a maple neck & board. He did opt for different colored appointments. I want to say it was black, but I'm not 100% sure. I just remember his chose of hardware and pickup covers was a contrast to the natural body (Northern ash, IIRC) and maple neck.

Nick, OTOH, went with the color "Deep Blue." His also has a maple neck & board, and the pickguard, pickup covers and knobs are black. Nick's strat really stopped me in my tracks when I first saw the pic he posted here. The color of the body is beautiful, and the contrasting of light and dark between the deep blue and black on the body and the maple is just stunning, and so it stands out in my memory.

Another thing which is memorable is the control knobs. Sanford opted for two knobs, not three, with them positioned several inches away from the edge of the bridge pickup. Since the traditional placement of the Volume knob on a Stratocaster is something that always got in my way, when I saw the control layout on Sanford's Logan Custom strat, it made sense to me. And I may not be remembering this right, but I think Nick's Deep Blue strat has the same control layout.

Like I said, I know there are others out there with strat styles from Bob, but these are the two that first came to mind. Hopefully this will get the conversation started.

2. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hello to all and as this is my first post for 2020, I wish y’all a great year. In particular I want to wish Bob Logan to enjoy many more happy years ahead in your life. Musical instruments require sensitive movements, which applies both to building as well as playing. People are also sensitive in so many areas, and Bob earned my respect by identifying and putting first, the needs and sensitivities that arose from our communications. From the very beginning he made sure that no matter the distance, I was going to get exactly what we agreed I would, and only after he was sure that I was absolutely comfortable with my order, only then did we proceed to talk about money. That, folks, is rare these days! Sadly for the last 5 months I’ve been dealing with dementia, and that has distanced me from music and playing. But the warmth I received here is truly one of a kind and I’m looking forward to returning real soon!
    Second, I want to thank Larry G as he was the first to welcome me here. Larry, your kindness is such that made me wish that at the end of each work day, we could meet up for one cold beer some good conversation and lots of good music!
    Thank you friends!
    All the best!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    djh22 and LGOberean like this.
  3. LGOberean

@Mike Finn I just now read your posted comment. I've been distracted of late due to a variety of new projects and issues. But that doesn't compare to your dealing with dementia, sorry to hear about that. Is that something you're struggling with, or a loved one? Either way, best wishes to you and yours.

Thank you for your kind words. If I ever get to Crete, I'll sure want to meet up. And if you ever come to Corpus Christi, Texas, same deal. And you could have your choice of 7 Logan Customs to play!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. jld4133

jld4133 TDPRI Member

I recently acquired a new T-style built by Bob Logan. I live in Bob's vicinity so I am fortunate in that I could consult with him in person about what I wanted. Bob built me a gorgeous guitar and completed it within 2 - 3 weeks, although I was out of town in Austin when he finished it. When I got home, I got out to Bob's pronto to complete our transaction, picking up my stunning new guitar. A few weeks later, I wrote Bob an email, which I would like to quote next below, since it sums up the guitar and my experience quite well:

"I played it at a gig about a week before Christmas, and I enjoyed its sonic capabilities. By this time I realized that I needed to tweak the set up, since the action was a bit higher than I prefer, and there was no room to lower it, since the bridge (and the saddles) was flat down on the Bigsby bridge plate, and could not be lowered. Thus, it was apparent to me that the guitar needed a very thin shim in the neck pocket.

However, as I noted above, I was still suffering the effects of a torn retina, and by mid-December had been scheduled to have cataract surgery in both eyes. So I really didn't play the guitar at that point. Finally, by late-mid January, I had completed the cataract surgeries, and finally have 2 eyes working in tandem. So, a week ago or so, I ordered a couple of 1/4 degree shims from Stew Mac. They arrived and I have now placed one of the shims into the neck pocket, and did a new set-up on the guitar; or rather I simply needed to raise the bridge height to accommodate the new, very mild neck angle, to set the strings at my desired height. I did not need to adjust the height of the pick-ups, or any other aspect of the neck, truss rod, or anything else.

Now she plays just as I like, with perfect string height and feel all the way up the neck. Just as before when the action was higher than I like, there is no buzzing or rattle or any other negative condition. So my very slight alteration of the neck angle was an unmitigated success!

Additionally, this guitar sounds like the angels singing. I absolutely love the combination of the Duncan Antiquity HB in the neck and the Duncan stacked HB in the Tele-style bridge. She's got balls, tonality for days, excellent sustain, beautiful twang, and she is sweet, not ice-picky or shrill.

The neck is gorgeous with its flame, and roasted coloration. The mat finish feels like a 50 year old well-played guitar. And its girth is considerable, and comfortable, and yet fast and feels so perfectly comfortable.

The locking tuners work magnificently, and they staggered configuration does away with the need for any kind of string tee(s), which is really cool.

It is readily apparent that every bit of hardware and the electronics are absolutely top notch, and of the highest caliber. So as you can see, I am extremely pleased that I had you build me this guitar, and it is absolutely amazing at the price point. It suggests to me that you do what you do for love, not money; or that the mass producers are making extremely high profits for assembly line instruments for which they charge dramatically higher prices."

I will try to upload some photos of this magnificent instrument, although I am technology challenged.
    John's Mary K White tele. S-N- 19973 008.JPG John's Mary K White tele. S-N- 19973 008.JPG John's Mary K White tele. S-N- 19973 001 (1).JPG

Attached Files:

teletimetx, horax, pagedr and 2 others like this.
  5. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

so...I sold my PRS and my beloved AO50's tele (avatar) to buy a new Silver Sky PRS. I cant' get any here where I live, so it was sight unseen.
    My friend (also local) ordered one and got it right away. Mine was a preorder for a new color.
    I went and played his and was surprised when It was very lackluster. Did not grab me for a 2500.00 guitar.

So I'm returning it.

This gives me lots of cash on hand for a purchase or two. Very rare situation.

I'm thinking about a Fender Elite Thinline 2018, but then I've submitted a request to Bob to get a 72 double humbucker, if possible. I sent some specs, and I hope i can get the price to where I want it to be. I think it's possible.

I think this might be the time to jump on one of these Logans. I've been considering them for 3 years, and I'm very, very close.

If I can't get the Logan where I need it to be price wise, not sure what I'll do. Maybe another strat, maybe a Les Paul? Who Knows...

Here's to hoping.

6. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

If you had $2,500 budgeted for the PRS, then the price for a guitar from Bob should be no problem. I'd guess what you're looking for would run you less than half of that, in fact.

7. LGOberean

Just got back from a camping trip, and I'm trying to catch up on TDPRI.

Yeah, @horax I'm trying figure out what you're budgeting for a Logan Custom. You talked about "a purchase or two" with this cash windfall. So are you saying that a Logan with double humbuckers has to have a certain price ceiling so that the other item (guitar? amp?) can be purchased?

8. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Nah, just trying to decide if I should go all out on one purchase, or go wtih two mid-level purchases. That's all.

9. LGOberean

Well, Blake, if that's your thinking, and your budget is $2,500, I would say it's highly likely that you can buy a Logan Custom and have at the very least hundreds of bucks left over. In fact, for that money, I'd be willing to bet that you could order what you want with dual humbuckers AND still afford a Logan Custom strat. :twisted:

I haven't consistently/over an extended period of time gone to Bob's website and checked the prices on all of his "Guitars for Sale." But I just checked that page of 29 guitars for sale, and the average price of that lot is $1,094.79. And to me, that's not an unusual or surprising average price. Out of the 29 guitars listed there, 14 are priced over the $1,000 mark. And 7 others are priced $995-$999. Before I did this little bit of research, I was guessing that the average would be around a grand, and I wasn't far off. Here are the numbers if you're interested in seeing the prices on all 29 guitars.

$1,149 + $1,029 + $999 + $929 + $1,059 + $1,059 + $1,199 + $859 + $829 + $995 + $959 + $1,299 + $999 + $999 + $999 + $1,199 + $1,259 + $1,259 + $899 + $899 + $1,795 + $899 + $999 + $999 + $1,199 +1,399 + $1,495 + $1,259 + $829 = $31,749 ÷ 29 = $1,094.79.

The least expensive asking price Bob has of that lot of guitars is $829, two of them priced that, in fact. The most expensive of the 29 guitars there is $1,795. And that most expensive one? Well, let me talk about that.

It is a Limited Edition White Starling. No doubt it is the most expensive because it is a limited run build with a number of higher priced features. Those features include an ebony fretboard, Schaller tuners, a double bound body with double f-holes, a Bigsby and a set of TV Jones Classic pickups. It also is a limited edition build because of the body which is 2" thick/deep. I think I remember that Bob built another White Starling a couple of years ago, but this one currently listed has different pickups, and its serial number suggests to me that it was built sometime last year.

Oh, and if money were no object, I'd buy that guitar. :D I love an ebony fretboard, and the 9.5" radius and Medium C neck profile are exactly what I would order if I were choosing the specs. And I've been wanting to try the TV Jones Classics. I've never owned a guitar with a vibrato tailpiece, let alone a Bigsby, so that might be an adjustment for me, but I sure like to try it. And at 7 lbs. and 5 oz., it's right up my alley. The guitar has a Gretsch vibe to it, and makes me think of a Gretsch White Falcon.

upload_2020-2-27_12-29-32.png upload_2020-2-27_12-31-26.png

horax likes this.
  10. LGOberean

No gigs this weekend. In fact, I haven't gigged at all this week. I came back from my camping trip expecting to play for a couple of seniors facilities, but I came back without a voice. Well, I could talk, sorta, but I sounded like a bullfrog in mating season, so I sure couldn't sing.

But the hands still work even if the voice doesn't, so at home, ever since I got back, there has been one guitar that I've been playing: my Logan Custom Challenger.

My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 2.jpeg

Some may recall I got this guitar while I was in Wisconsin visiting Bob and Marge in September of 2018. So it was a guitar acquisition in the moment of a guitar Bob had already built, not one custom made specifically for me according to my specs.

A lot about the guitar appealed to me. I remembered when Bob made it (2015), and the snakehead headstock was a cool bit of Tele history that I didn't have in my other Logans. The color, Orange Haze, appealed to me because they are the colors of a Corpus Christi, Texas institution: Whataburger restaurants.

[​IMG][​IMG]

One thing about the guitar that was an adjustment was the neck. Not the rosewood fretboard, that was okay. This guitar has a different neck profile. It's a fatter neck, and it was just different. It was certainly playable, nothing against the shape and depth, it just felt different in my hands and took some adjustment. This week I've come to realize that I now really enjoy playing this neck. I'd stop short of saying it's my favorite or that I prefer it over the Medium C profile on the others, but it's really fun to play.

Oh, and BTW, not that it means anything, but this is my 11,000th post to TDPRI. Well, maybe it means I should change my username to "Loquacious Larry." :oops: I've got this thing about the number 11, since I was born on the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year. Like I said, it's not important. Move along; nothing to see here. Carry on with your Logan Custom discussions. :twisted:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    teletimetx, djh22 and horax like this.
  11. LGOberean

This is just a silly video I did this morning. I first thought of playing it on my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele, but I thought it might not be loud enough unplugged, so I considered my other acoustics. I was actually going to play it on one of my Hohners, but because I was wearing a T-shirt about Breedlove guitars made for me by my wife, at the last minute I decided to play it on my 2008 Breedlove AD25/SM dreadnought. Still, I thought I'd share it here.

(Disclaimer: I (re)wrote this late last night, and so at times during the song I hesitated, trying to remember my own lyrics. And this preoccupation with the lyrics made me self-conscious, and made me flub the instrumental intro. But it is what it is. Hopefully, you'll get a chuckle out of it.)

The China Virus Blues
    (Sweet Lord of Mine)
    Lyrics adapted by Larry G. Overton, March 25, 2020
    (with apologies to Neil Diamond)

Where it began was in Wuhan, China
    And from there it’s growing strong
    And now it’s the Spring, will it spread to summer?
    Who’d have believed it would come along?
    Hands…washing hands…
    Don’t reach out, don’t touch me,
    I won’t touch you

(Chorus)
    Sweet Lord of mine!
    Lead us to good times again
    I’m inclined to believe this thing will end
    But now I’m…

Sheltering in place, living like a hermit
    But that’s okay, I look like one, too
    The days drag on, spent in isolation
    When, oh, when will this thing be through?
    (But now it’s) Hands…washing hands…
    Don’t reach out, don’t touch me,
    I won’t touch you
    (Chorus)

Sweet Lord of Mine!

8barlouie and horax like this.
  12. outtenbucks

outtenbucks NEW MEMBER!

Anyone still loving their Logan’s? Anyone who is selling theirs, and why?

13. LGOberean

"Anyone still loving their Logans?" If you had posted that question a day later, I would have thought it was an April Fools Day joke! :twisted:

Still love mine, not selling. With mine, each one has a specialness (spell check just informed me I invented a new word) about it that means I just won't ever sell. Actually, I've toyed with the idea of sending one of my Firecasters (the dark one on the left in my avatar pic) back to Bob so he could convert it to a Nashville style tele. But I'll never sell it.

14. Shawnm26

Shawnm26 TDPRI Member

Hey all, I'm talking to Bob about a 72 thinline build with some fralin widerange in them. I asked Bob about the Butterscotch color curious what it looks like compared to BSB anyone have one in just Butterscotch? Heres my wifes Thinline I got her for a wedding gift 8 yrs ago 15860449090501420417359771018107.jpg

horax likes this.
  15. LGOberean

@Shawnm26 I'm not very familiar with humbucking pickups as a rule, or the Fralin Wide Range pups in particular, so I can't comment there.

As for the color of Butterscotch vs. BSB, well, I don't have a true Butterscotch, but one of my Logan Custom teles is Butterscotch Blonde (BSB). I also have a Honey Blonde tele by Bob, and the BSB is darker. Maybe pics of mine will illustrate what I mean and be helpful to you. First a closeup pic of that Honey Blonde, hanging on the wall in my living room...
    upload_2020-4-4_23-15-5.png

Now here's a pic of the BSB on its hanger in the living room, shown from two different angles with slightly different lighting (I may have been casting a shadow on it while taking the pic from the full frontal view)...

upload_2020-4-4_21-44-41.png

Personally, that's about as Butterscotch as I want to get. Though I think there are varying shades of Butterscotch, too. A couple of examples here to show what I mean...
    upload_2020-4-4_21-43-33.png

If you had posted a pic of your wife's thinline without any mention of "Butterscotch," I would have described that color as a reddish orange. I don't mean that as a put down, I'm just saying I don't think "Butterscotch" when I see that.

16. Shawnm26

Shawnm26 TDPRI Member

No my wifes is definitely red. That BSB is the nicest I've seen on any guitar perfect. Im starting to think that in a thinline would be stellar.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

My Logan from 2010 is BSB. No pics handy, but it was orange-ier than I might have wanted at the time. Let the days slide by, and it is perfect. The colour softened, and I now judge other guitars by how mine looks. For the record, a friend of mine ragged on me about the colour when it was new, and now he insists that I leave it to him in my will, because he know the only way he will get it is from my cold dead hands.

StrangerNY and teletimetx like this.
  18. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I think Bobs BSB is the best looking version of any BSB I’ve seen.

Im serious about that

19. LGOberean

Sorry, I got the wrong impression. In the context of discussing Butterscotch Blonde, I thought you were saying that your wife's Logan tele was in the butterscotch family. I guess I was adding up 2+2 and coming up with 5 as my answer. :oops:

As for your compliments on my Logan BSB, thank you. I sure do like it. I got it from Bob in 2011, and it was my go-to tele for gigs up until last summer, when I bought my latest Logan tele, the one on the right in my avatar pic.

Over the course of 8 years, I've played more gigs with that BSB than I can count. I'll still gig with it on occasion (if gigging is something we musicians will still be doing after this current situation :rolleyes:), and it's definitely not going anywhere.

Here's hoping that your thinline will indeed be stellar, whether you go with Butterscotch or BSB.

Well, everybody knows I'm biased when it comes to Logan teles. And I can't say as I've done a lot of comparing of Bob's BSB color with that of other brands. But @horax I sure won't argue with you about that! :twisted:

As I said, I really do like mine, and I've seen others that Bob's done, and the color looks as good to me as mine does. For example, at the top of the main page of Bob's website, there are 8 guitars to scroll through from left to right. The fifth one in is a BSB, and it looks as good to me as mine does.

horax likes this.
  20. LGOberean

Higgy, sounds like you got your BSB a year before I got mine. Mine had a brighter appearance when new. Kinda hard to explain; not lighter, but brighter. Here's are a couple f pics from the day I got it: June 30, 2011. (Oh, and as a bonus, my Honey Blonde "Logo" thinline I bought from Bob in 2009 is in the background of the first pic.) Those pics were taken at night, by a cell phone, so pic quality and lighting don't render it exactly as it appear in the room, but maybe that'll show a comparison to the pics I shared last night (see above).
    06-30-2011 - Logan Custom BSB - 1.jpg 06-30-2011 - Logan Custom BSB - 3.jpg

You know, I don't recall ever seeing a pic of your BSB. Maybe I did years ago, and my memory has faded like the color of your guitar.:oops::twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.