Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister

Hey y’all. Welp, it seems like I’ll be joining the club, which I would not have predicted just a week ago.

My path to getting a Logan starts with my plan to cut down on my gear. I had a bunch of guitars that weren’t getting much use, so I decided that I would sell everything but my #1s (Baja Tele and Pono OM acoustic).

So a couple of weeks ago, I listed everything on reverb, fairly aggressively priced, and I’ve had way more success than I expected. I’ve sold three electrics, one acoustic and one amp. Only one acoustic to go (if you’re looking for a steel string Córdoba dreadnought, hit me up for a good deal).

However, as I was boxing up my G&L fallout to ship out, I plugged it in and noodled a bit and felt major pangs of regret. I really loved that guitar and the sounds that it could make. I couldn’t get the thought out of my head that I was missing something, so I decided that having two electrics—the Baja and something with a Humbucker—was simple enough (hell, on this site that counts as almost nothing).

I love Teles, so started looking at Humbucker options: squier and fender customs, deluxes, thinlines, player HH, etc. I played a bunch at GC and Sam Ash. Nothing was speaking to me. So I started thinking of a partscaster. I am NOT a builder or a handyman, and as I was envisioning putting it together, I just saw weeks and months passing, buying more and more tools, and all of the errors that I was sure to make.

That’s when I remembered Logan Custom. I had probably first heard of them 5+ years ago, and check his site every so often to see the latest for sale. But I always figured that (despite the reasonable prices), he was out of my price range. But when I saw the total that I had gained from my reverb sales, I realized I could make it happen with only that money.

I emailed Bob last week and priced out what I was looking for: swamp ash body, medium C maple neck, vintage bridge, and I narrowed it down to two of my favorite Tele color schemes: vintage blonde with white pickguard, or black with black. Then, I wanted either a set of Humbuckers, or just one in the neck.

Bob was super quick and pleasant with his response, including pickup suggestions. It felt like a lot to consider. Just as I decided I’d take the weekend to think about it, though, I saw a guitar on his for sale page that ticked a lot of my boxes. Black on black, medium C maple neck, swamp ash body, etc. Just two differences: it had a set of Twang Kings, and the finish is actually matte black (the “Matt Black Tele” that has been in Bob’s site for awhile). I asked Bob if he’d consider swapping the pickups, and after some quick back and forth, we have an agreement.

So the plan is for Bob to put in a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Humbucker in the neck, with a SD Broadcaster in the bridge. Anyone have any experience with or thoughts about that combo? I was thinking about the Seth Lover set, but I think keeping the bridge single coil will maintain some Tele flavor. I also was briefly toying with the idea of a P90/Humbucker combo (like the fallout), but don’t think that’s the way I want to go.

The final issue, of course, is the matte finish. I like the look in pictures (and hell, this guitar will spend 99% of its life in my basement with nobody else looking at it). I think I’ll get along with it just fine.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Cheers.

teletimetx and LGOberean like this.
  2. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I LOVE the idea of that pickup combo!
    To me, the Broadcaster bridge is the best that money can buy...and the Seth Lover humbucker (is it wide range?) is the tippy top of the bucker line.
    I was, and still am, jonesing to get a Logan custom twin humbucker tele with Seth Lover wide Range Buckers in a Tele Custom setup.

Just have to wait for hte proper time...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Headless Axeman and Mincer like this.
  3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Seth Lover is a traditional PAF-type humbucker, not at all like a Wide Range pickup.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome, @Headless Axeman . There have been a number of times I've seen something on Bob's website and thought, "I could really go for that, except for..." I guess I should have asked about swapping out pickups, or a selector switch, or whatever held me back.

Actually, though, I've been thinking lately about having Bob make some changes on the guitars I already have. I haven't even discussed this with Bob yet, because I'm not sure if I want to go through with it. So I guess it's premature to talk about it now.

BTW, the very first Tele I ever GASed over was not one of Bob's; it was before I knew about Logan Customs. But that matte black one reminds me of those days back in early 2008, when I was GASing for a Deluxe Blackout...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know that's not a matte black finish, and it's got those three single coils, and it's not a Logan...Wait, what was my point? Where was I going with this? :rolleyes::twisted:

5. LGOberean

Earlier this afternoon I decided to get a picture of my Logan Customs. Of course, I've got plenty of pics of them: pics of just the teles, pics of the Challenger, pics of the acoustic/electric.

But I didn't have a pic of all seven of my Logans in a group shot, so I decided to rectify that situation. So for your viewing pleasure :twisted:, here is an obligatory couch pic of my Logan Custom family...
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom family couch pic.jpg

teletimetx likes this.
  6. LGOberean

Hope everyone's having a safe and happy Halloween/Harvest Festival/Reformation Day. From this satisfied Logan Custom owner in his Halloween costume, the scariest one I could possibly imagine...
    10-31-2019 - 'Halloween' costume - 1.jpg 10-31-2019 - 'Halloween' costume - 2.jpg

Zepfan and Bob Logan like this.
  7. LGOberean

It will probably come as no surprise that I check out Bob Logan's Logan Custom Guitars website a lot. But lately my visits there have been for a specific purpose, and less so for just browsing what guitars are up for sale, or looking to discover new developments to the website.

(An example of a "specific purpose" would be pricing what a certain build would cost. When I recommend a Logan Custom build in other discussion threads here on TDPRI, I take the specs someone is looking for in a Tele and see what it would cost them to have Bob build it, as opposed to their buying a stock Tele and then modifying it to suit their needs.)

So I didn't see this new accessory item advertised on Bob's site until today. It's a 304 stainless steel bridge plate. To quote from this page...

Bob also has them listed on reverb.com. Here is that link: https://reverb.com/item/26778204-lo...ed-tele-bridge-plate-2019-raw-stainless-steel

I should also add that I don't have this specific bridge plate on any of my five Logan Custom teles. But then this new bridge plate wasn't available then. My first couple of Logan teles had the traditional ashtray bridge, but my next three have Bob's stainless steel bridge plates without the ashtray design, cut down or not. (See the teles on the couch in my Logan Custom family pic below. They're arranged from left to right in the order in which I acquired them.) I like both styles that I have on mine, but now prefer Bob's stainless steel plates.
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom collection.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    BB likes this.
  8. LGOberean

As I've done for years in this thread, I again want to wish a happy Veteran's Day to all of our vets. We appreciate your service. And as I have said for several years, this includes Bob Logan. He is a Vietnam Vet, having served in the Army with the 173rd Airborne, and is a recipient of the Purple Heart. He came home from Vietnam to the despicable kind of "welcome home" that so many Vietnam vets had to endure, so I for one want to make sure to thank him and honor him on this day. Bob was honored by family members and others in recent years, and he is included in the living memorial at the Veterans Memorial Park in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

teletimetx likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Thank You.
    My cousin and my wife's uncle were in Vietnam in 65', 67' and 69'. Dad was 8th Army Korea.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

I have 3 other friends besides Bob that served during the Vietnam War. And my uncle, my Dad's twin brother, was 8th Army Korea.
    Uncle Garlan, Corporal, 8th Army, Korea - 1.jpg Uncle Garlan, Corporal, 8th Army, Korea - 2.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  11. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

12. LGOberean

Sanford, the link leads to an error message saying the attachment can't be found.

Are you signing in on TDPRI from your computer? Is the image you want to upload on your computer? If so, you should be able to click the "Upload a File" button below the reply field, as you see it at the end of the page here.
    upload_2019-11-19_22-16-18.png

That should then show up below your text in the reply field as a thumbnail pic with two more buttons beside it: "Thumbnail" and "Full Image." I myself always click on the "Full Image" option...
    upload_2019-11-19_22-19-29.png

and when I do it inserts the full image of the pic I've selected from my computer's hard drive into my reply, like this...
    Firecaster I & Firecaster II.jpg

13. telecaster man

i want to put a pic of myself in the avatar....where the ? is over on the left

14. LGOberean

Oh, you were wanting to add an avatar pic? I thought you were posting about a guitar. In the more than eleven years that I've been a member of TDPRI, I've only had three avatar pics. I don't remember offhand how it's done. I'll have to study up on it and get back to you.

15. LGOberean

Okay, about changing/adding your avatar pic. I'm going to change my current avatar pic just to (re)learn how go about doing it myself. (If someone else has a simpler way, I'm are all ears.) Oh, and @sanford the following instructions assume that you will be working from your desktop computer, and that the image you want to use as your avatar pic is on your computer's hard drive.

Scroll to the bottom of the page on TDPRI. There you'll find three columns: "About Us," "TDPRI Features," "Sister Sites" and "Disclosure." In the second column, the second to the last feature option is "Your Profile," which will lead you to your TDPRI profile page. Click that.

upload_2019-11-20_9-50-55.png

On your Profile page, the second from the top of the page says "Avatar," shows your current avatar pic. Beside that, the instructions say "Click the image to change your avatar." Click it.

upload_2019-11-20_10-0-7.png

An "Avatar Editor" dialog box will then appear. Since mine has my current custom avatar pic, that's what appears in the dialog box, with instructions to "Use a custom avatar" and below that, "Upload new custom avatar." Below that second option is a field with the words "Choose File" highlighted in white. And by the way, below that field is the statement "IT is recommended that you use an image that is at least 200x200 pixels." So click the "Choose File" option.

upload_2019-11-20_10-6-26.png

That will open the "Pictures" section in your PC. Select the pic you want to use, click it. And that adds (or, as in my case just now, changes) your avatar pic.

16. telecaster man

thank you my friend...it actually worked

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.