Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. iggyrip

iggyrip TDPRI Member

New Logan owner here. Just got her on Friday and I am tweaking her out and putting her through the paces. Bob did nice work and made me a light guitar as requested. My back sure appreciates it. My guitar is made of swamp ash with Mary Kay finish, a C neck with 6150 frets, and Seymour Duncan pick ups.

Attached Files:

teletimetx and LGOberean like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow! Congrats on that looker.! It instantly reminded me of Scotty Anderson's go-to axe...
    [​IMG]

His has a mini-hum in the neck as well. But his has different pickups. Actually, I don't know exactly what pickups his has in it, but it's not the SD mini-hum in the neck. You can see the pole pieces on his. Here a pic that makes that more obvious (although I haven't a clue what kind of contraption he has taped to the upper bout of that Tele! :eek:o_O)...
    [​IMG]

As for the swamp ash, I think that species of wood generally makes for a lightweight guitar. Recent Logan Custom club member pagedr has one with a swamp ash body as well, and his is also light. My BSB is swamp ash, and weighs just under 7 lbs.
    05-29-2019 - Logan Custom BSB.jpg 07-21-2019 - Logan Custom BSB - 2.jpg

3. LGOberean

Gig tonight at a marina in the area. I play this venue on a regular basis (got another booking there next month, Friday the 13th! :eek::twisted:).

I'll be taking my Logan Custom acoustic/electric for the acoustic stuff/set, and I was going to take my newest Logan, my Firecaster II. However, I've got to work out a grounding issue with it, so I was thinking about taking my BSB (pictured above). But just this morning I was playing my first Firecaster. I was having such fun with it, I'm tempted to take that one instead. It has Bill Lawrence Keystone tele pickups, and while not my favorites (the DiMarzio Twang Kings hold that honor), they're good, especially the neck pickup. Decisions, decisions...

4. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

pix of my "new" Logan

[​IMG]
    Fender staggered tuners w/ ebony buttons - Rutters bridge - SD 'lil 59 - Bill Lawrence HB neck PU - ebony knobs
    peace

vespa1 likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Wow, Mr. N! Congratulations! Thanks for posting here. That guitar has a unique blend of classic beauty and distinctive features.

You've got me curious: why did you put "new" in quotation marks? Have you had it a while? Or was it a guitar that Bob had in stock? Or did you buy it second hand?

Is the body swamp ash? And is that Butterscotch Blonde or Honey Blonde? (I have a tele in each of those colors, but it's kinda hard to tell in pics.)

I wasn't aware that Lawrence/Wilde pickups made a "Noisefree T neck." Any videos or clips of this guitar you'd like to share?

6. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

yep - used instrument

7. LGOberean

Bob's updated his website. It's a new look, mostly, but there is some new content: pics not previously posted in his Gallery, a quote "About Bob" from an article by Alan Cross, etc. Check it out.

8. LGOberean

I should know better by now than to play my Logan guitars at night. I’m a night owl by nature, and my wife says that while “normal” people wind down at night, I wind up! And nothing winds me up like a good session of guitar playing.

Before putting my wife to bed and coming into my office/man cave, I had been watching YouTube videos of classical guitar playing. Now I don’t own a classical guitar (yet?), but I wanted to play fingerstyle. I have half a dozen other acoustics and acoustic/electrics I could have chosen, but I picked Aggie, my Logan Custom tele-style acoustic electric. (For those that don’t remember, Ash top + Mahogany back = A&M = “Aggie.”) Even though it’s a hollow body, because of its tele size and dimensions, unplugged it’s quieter than my other acoustics. So it got the nod.
    01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 2.jpeg 01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 4.jpeg

And I then proceeded to play two sessions back to back for a total of more than an hour of playing fingerstyle. I say two sessions because at one point, I thought, “This is too fun! If I keep this up, I’ll never be able to get to sleep tonight!” So I put it down…for a few minutes! But it was still within arm’s reach, and before I knew it, my acoustic tele was back in my arms and I was playing fingerstyle again. Then once again I realized that this was counterproductive to winding down to get to sleep, so this time when I forced myself to quit playing, I took the guitar back into the living room and hung it back up on the Logan Custom wall.
    06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 2.jpg

Aggie is so beautiful, and plays so well (an acoustic that plays like a tele, I’ve got D’Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ26 strings on it, .011 - .052). This made for such a satisfying playing experience it was hard to quit. So I’ve just got to share about it here. And I want to publicly thank @Bob Logan yet again for this great guitar!

I was right, BTW. I’m so wired right now! I’m hoping posting about it will help.

9. LGOberean

A year ago (well, almost 13 months ago now) Beth and I made a voyage to Wisconsin, and after a decade finally met Bob & Marge Logan face to face. We flew and then rented a car; we didn’t have our trailer then. Came home with a guitar, too: my Logan Custom Challenger.

Well, this year, my wife and I made another voyage, this time in our trailer, and to Mississippi. My wife had a workshop to attend, and so we let her business pay for the business part of the trip.

For me, Mississippi was something of a genealogical pilgrimage, one that I’ve made twice before in my life (1985 & 2002). About 16 miles west of Corinth, MS there is a little farming community known as Overton Hill. It was named after my great-great grandfather Jesse Dial Overton. He was born there, and around 1890 he became the postmaster for the community, and his log cabin on the hill became the post office.

But where we camped was Tupelo, Mississippi, which as y’all may know is the birthplace of Elvis. One of the ways I occupied my time in Tupelo was checking out pawn shops. And there I bought a Peavey Raptor Plus, a Strat copy. I thought it was fitting to buy a Mississippi brand guitar in that musical Mississippi town.

This marks the first time I’ve owned a Strat-style guitar, and I consider it something of an experiment. Since buying my first Logan Custom tele-style 11 years ago, I’ve been a tele guy. So experimenting with this Strat copy will hopefully give me a sense of how I’ll adjust to a strat. If I take to it enough that I want to upgrade, then I’ll consider having Bob build me a strat.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  10. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Has Bob ever done an SG style?
    I would venture that his "open pore" design, coupled with his woodworking ability would yield a very, very nice guitar.

I"d be very interested in seeing what he could do....but I love tele's more. ;)

11. LGOberean

Just got home from an 11-day RV camping trip, checking in. I don't know if Bob has ever done an SG clone. Personally, I haven't played an SG that I liked, primarily because of the necks. But I think you're right; with Bob's nitrocellulose/no grain filler finish, a Logan Custom SG would look smart.

Bob does double cutaways, such as strats and his own Challenger design...
    My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 2.jpeg

...so an SG should be a walk in the park for him. BTW, Bob has also done an LP style before...
    Logan Custom Flat Top Les Paul 1980.jpg Logan Custom Flat Top Les Paul 1981.jpg

12. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think on your tangerine challenger some chrome pickup rings and knobs would look SWEET!

LGOberean likes this.
  13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just thought I’d throw in an update, since I’ve had my Logan for going on ten years. I joined TDPRI looking for info to build a partscaster, which I did, but I ended up with a Logan t style. BSB, Birdseye neck with medium jumbo frets, Keystone pickups. The only things I’ve done were to have the fret ends dressed down after a year or so of dry winter, and I replaced the PG with a Bakelite one (stock fender was static-y). No guitar killed my GAS like this one has. I have only bought one since, and it’s been sold. I think I’m done. Hell, I had to settle a dispute over who gets it if something tragic happens to me. (I decided in favour of the friend who lives farther away and doesn’t know how to “fix” the brakes on my car.)

LGOberean likes this.
  14. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox TDPRI Member

Soon to be first time owner of a Logan guitar. (Hopefully getting it by Friday)

I had been eyeing vintage Epiphone Coronet style guitars and although owning a vintage guitar might be nice, I LOVE and much prefer tinkering with guitars and putting together Partscasters. (2 Strats, 1 Esquire and 1 Tele at the moment)

I thought a double cut Tele looked pretty similar to a late 50's Coronet, so I went about designing one in Adobe software, then remembered emailing Bob last year about a Strat that I eventually DIY'd. I sent him a pic of what I had drawn, emailed back and forth on specs a few times and "voila!" My crazy hybrid of a Tele and Coronet was born. Here are some pics that Bob sent to me upon completion.

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.
  15. LGOberean

I never thought of the color as "tangerine." Long before it was mine, when Bob first posted pics of it, he dubbed the color Orange Haze. That was before the name "Challenger," and Bob was calling it "Logan Special Design." I remember thinking, "If Bob makes one in purple, it could be the 'Purple Haze LSD.'" :twisted: Bob subsequently wanted to change the name so that the LSD acronym wouldn't be an association. I suggested that since Bob likes fastback cars, he go with such a name. I suggested Barracuda, since I once owned a '66 Barracuda. Bob went with Challenger.

But I digress. Since Bob called it "Orange Haze" from the get go, that's the way I've always thought of it. But looking at it now (it's sitting on a guitar stand directly behind me as I'm sitting at my desktop), I can see the tangerine thing, too.

16. LGOberean

Higgy, we've both been Logan owners for around the same length of time. But unlike you, one Logan Custom created GAS for more, to the point that I now have 7 Logan Custom guitars, 5 of them T-styles. Kind of embarrassing to admit that, in light of your GAS-killer-I-think-I'm-done approach, but they say confession is good for the soul, so there it is. :oops:

And I too have a BSB (swamp ash) with a Birdseye maple neck/fretboard and medium jumbo frets, but with DiMarzio Twang Kings in it, not Keystones (although I do have a set Keystones in another one of my Logan teles). Here's mine...
    05-29-2019 - Logan Custom BSB.jpg Logan Custom BSB, Birdseye maple neck profile.jpg

Dan German likes this.
  17. LGOberean

Welcome, Jim. I see you're not a newcomer to TDPRI, but welcome to the Logan Custom owners club, and this thread.

I must confess I wasn't familiar with the Epiphone Coronet. Didn't know they made something so tele-looking. It looks like Bob did a good job of capturing that vibe. So what are the specs?

18. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox TDPRI Member

Thanks for the welcome! I do lurk on here a lot but don't often post.

BODY:

Double Cutaway Mahogany with a Charcoal Frost Metallic Finish (and a belly cut)
    Dimarzio PG-13 Mini Humbucker
    Gibson string spaced hardtail bridge
    Parchment Coronet pickguard (from WD Pickguards)
    Fender amp knobs (Brown/Blonde era type)

NECK:

Maple/Rosewood with dot inlays
    Matching headstock finish
    Grover Mini Rotomatics
    Graphtech String Tree

From the pictures Bob has sent me, it's about as EXACT of a reproduction from my original illustrations as I could possibly want. Just 48 more hours before it arrives...

LGOberean likes this.
  19. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

FF4911F6-CD47-4BE8-8D22-783F4A094EBB.jpeg B732CCEC-969D-455B-BF53-D646F23474DD.jpeg 64B95CD4-12B3-40C0-823D-AC1C65F28E82.jpeg E9A04F5B-46F9-4744-B3CC-14491C3725A0.jpeg FDCE51D2-C2FC-4318-817C-02A8ABA12834.jpeg
    Oh, nothing to be embarrassed about; the Logan killed my GAS not so much because I want nothing more (I still have other guitars previously purchased), but because it raised my standards of what I want in a guitar, and I can’t afford anything that might be better. Here are some pics as it is now. I always bend t-style switches out of the way of my gangly hands, the pickguard screws are Robertsons because this is Canada, dammit, and the knobs are from a Vox Super Lynx I once owned (the other two are on my Danelectro Convertible). The neck I picked is kind of odd, because it’s Birdseye on one side, and kinda stripe-y on the other, but that’s just character. The colour was a bit too orange when it was new, but slight fading has made it just about perfect to me. A bit of rash from jeans button on the back for that lived-in look. Mostly, I baby it too much.

LGOberean and jimtalkbox like this.
  20. LGOberean

I did an outdoor gig yesterday at a nearby venue, in a community called Ingleside on the Bay. It is indeed "on the bay," as in the north shore of the Corpus Christi Bay is just across the street from where I was playing.

As with all of my outdoor gigs on the Island/shores of the Bay, strings suffer. Case in point: yesterday I gigged with Aggie, my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele, and my Firecaster II.
    01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 2.jpeg 07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 1.jpg

The strings weren't brand new on either guitar, to be fair. But still they suffered the ravages of the sea/salt air. Aggie was strung with D'Addario EJ26s (.011-.052 custom light gauge phosphor bronze strings); and my Firecaster II, with D;Addario EXL110s (.010-.046 regular light gauge nickel wound). Here's a couple of close ups of how the strings faired. (Spoiler alert: the phosphor bronze strings corrode much more quickly than the nickel wounds.)
    10-13-2019 - Strings on Aggie after gig at IOTB.jpg 10-13-2019 - Strings on Firecaster II after gig at IOTB.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.