Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, Justin. As it turns out, the scheduled delivery is Friday, so I'll have to wait a day longer than I hoped. When I posted Monday morning that I was about to head out the door, it was to begin a 3-day RV camping trip. So I hadn't yet seen the tracking link from the notification Bob forwarded to me, which says it will be delivered Friday, at the end of the service day. :( When I was guessing Thursday, I was basing that on my recollection of past shipments from Bob, but I guess I was hurrying things up a mite.

So, I've been out of town, and I haven't read TDPRI at all for the last several days. My wife and I bought a travel trailer a couple of weeks ago, and Monday we took our "escape pod" (R-pod is the brand) out on it's maiden voyage. We went to Lost Maples State Natural Area. Texas has a lot of state parks, but this one is designated a "natural area," not a "park." The difference being the natural areas are primarily focused on the the protection of the natural state of the area in question.

It is located in the Texas Hill Country, and there is no cell service there. I'm not one to do TDPRI or Facebook from my phone anyway, but in this place, I couldn't have even if I had wanted to.

We got home this evening, and even though I'm tired and aching, I wanted to check what's been going on. But I can already tell I'm not going to last long.

We saw this sign on our hike yesterday and had to snap a pic. We took its warning to heart. There was another sign I didn't pose beside that said the trail we were on had bike access for 1.1 miles, or something like that. So we made it our goal to walk that far and the turn around and take a slightly different path back. All told we walked 2.7 miles yesterday. And still my back and legs are sore! :oops:
    06-25-2019 - Lost Maples trails.jpg

Oh, and it may be hard to tell, but that's a Logan Custom ball cap I'm wearing. I've had several, not even counting my wife's pink one, but I've given them away, except for this one.

djh22 likes this.
  2. LGOberean

My Logan Custom Firecaster II arrived a couple of hours ago! I'm just now tearing myself away from playing it to type this post. Well, first I sent Bob a text letting him know it arrived safe and sound, and to thank him yet again.

My wife Beth is a much better photographer than me, as I've said many times before, so I'll post the few pics I took before she got home, and later, when I've uploaded her pics, I'll post some more. The last pic below is both Firecasters hanging side by side.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 2.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 3.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 1.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecasters I & II.jpg

voodooblues and horax like this.
  3. horax

horax Tele-Holic

So awesome!
    Why do ty look so different in color?

4. LGOberean

Thanks, Blake. I read this a while ago, but before I could reply, my wife had lunch ready. I told Beth about your question, and with missing a beat, she said, "Because one was more burnt than the other!" :lol: How's that for a little "Firecaster" humor for ya? I love this woman!

Seriously, the reason has to do with the construction and wood used. The top veneer of the first Firecaster was also Long Leaf Pine, but the back & sides/body core (chambered) was the Douglas Fir from the old roofing joists of our house. So the top veneer was stained to match. And even the headstock was painted to match, for good measure. I love that the body was stained to match, I even love the matching headstock.
    My Logan Custom Firecaster 02.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 03.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 06.jpg

The planks of Doug Fir were few compared to the Long Leaf Pine (LLP). That's because our old (1936) house had no plywood exterior walls or Sheetrock interior walls. It was all shiplap construction walls, exterior as well as interior, made of LLP. Consequently, for this second Firecaster build, there was a surplus of LLP but the Doug Fir is gone. So for this second Firecaster build, both the top and back veneers were to be made of Long Leaf Pine, and after discussing options with Bob, I chose basswood as the body core (again, chambered).

As to how it would be stained/finished, my wife enters the picture again. Beth is an artist; she has tried her hand at working with various mediums, and has sketched, painted and sculpted. She also grew up with an interest in woodworking, because that was her father's hobby. So she suggested the idea of leaving the LLP veneers natural and using a darker wood for the body core, thus creating the complementary contrast of hues in the wood.

Again, discussing it with Bob, it was more cost effective to use basswood and stain its edges dark walnut, as opposed to using mesquite, mahogany or walnut (the species of wood I was considering) for the body core. So that's the story on why my two Logan Custom Firecasters have such a difference in hue. And I like that my collection of five Logan Custom teles are varied in appearance between light and dark, three blondes, two brunettes, if you will. :twisted:

06-29-2019 - My Logan Custom Teles - 2a.jpg

horax likes this.
  5. LGOberean

I've got a gig this afternoon, and then getting together with some of the family afterwards, so for now I just want to wish all my fellow American Logan Custom owners a happy and safe fourth of July...from "Uncle Sam, the later years."
    05-21-2019 - Challenger at flag raising ceremony.jpg

6. LGOberean

Well, I said that I would post pics of my Firecaster II that Beth took. I didn't mean to let 11 days go by without doing that. Several of the closeups reveal nail holes and even nails in the Long Leaf Pine veneers. Since our old house had exterior and interior walls of shiplap construction LLP planks, some of the holes are large, and some from the interior walls were small, where the old wallpaper was nailed straight to the planking. One such pic is #7 below, uncharacteristically (for Beth) out of focus.

I've already gigged with this new Firecaster three times, including today. I have received unsolicited queries and compliments as I bring this new guitar out of its case. And when I tell the backstory to the guitar, responses have been very affirmative. I have two more gigs this week, and I will be using it again for those as well.

Okay, so now for those overdue pics...
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 1.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 2.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 3.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 4.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 5.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 6.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 7.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 8.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 9.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 10.jpg

voodooblues likes this.
  7. LGOberean

A few more...
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 11.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 12.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 13.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 14.jpg

voodooblues likes this.
  8. LGOberean

I just got home from an afternoon gig. It was a Logan Custom guitar day. Of course, that is not at all unusual for me.

But I took two Logan Custom guitars. Still, that is not really too unusual for me. I have in times past taken my Logan Custom acoustic/electric and one of my teles. I have even taken two Logan Custom teles to one gig before.

But still, today was different. I took two of my Logan Custom teles to the gig. But what was different about it is that it was the first time ever that I've gigged with both of my "Firecasters."
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecasters I & II.jpg

I've talked before about the specs of each, but their differences is what made these two a great choice for a gig. Firecaster I has Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups and Lawrence's 5-way switching. Firecaster II has DiMarzio Twang Kings, and a 4-way switch.

That 4-way in my new Firecaster gives standard Tele configurations (positions #1-3, moving forward from the bridge to the neck), with #4 position being both pickups in series. It's like a clean boost at the flip of a switch. The 5-way in Firecaster I gives what I call "neck lite" (neck with 10% less low end) in position #1, then #2 is the half out of phase setting, which works well enough for me as "Strat quack." I don't have a Strat or a Nashvilee style Tele, and some day I might just get one or the other. But with these two guitars, I've got most of those tones covered. A very versatile rig. And all in my most personalized custom guitars.

Life is good. :D:cool:

9. LGOberean

My "Firecaster" guitar strap is ready! :D:cool:
    07-14-2019 - Firecaster strap finished.jpg 07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 2.jpg

David is a friend I've known for 51 years, and he has carved leather for as long as I've known him. Through the decades, I've had belts, wallets and checkbook covers made by him. When I wanted a Bible rebound, he took on the challenge of learning rebinding and recovered a Bible for me. So it seemed a natural thing back in July of 2008,* when I got my first Logan Custom tele, to have David make a custom strap for it with the word's "Larry's Tele" engraved on it. A year later, when I bought Bob's prototype of his "Logo" thinline, I had David make another strap that read "Larry's Tele 2."

Of course, I have acquired more Logan Custom guitars since, but I rarely take more than two guitars to a gig, so I've just used the two custom straps. But when I ordered my latest Logan Custom, my second Firecaster (pictured above), I figured I needed a strap that said "Firecaster." So here it is. David and his wife Susan don't live in town anymore, but they're coming in to meet us for supper, and to deliver the finished strap. More pics to follow.

* July, 2008. It hasn't quite been 11 years since I got my first Logan Custom tele, but it will be by the end of this month. I'll post again about that at the appropriate time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    brookdalebill likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Okay, so here are those additional pics I promised. The Firecaster strap by itself, showing his "brand," the "pick pocket" on the underside, the Firecaster strap alongside of "Larry's Tele" and "Larry's Tele 2," and the strap on the guitar. As for that latter category, "on the guitar" means I'm wearing it, so you'll have endure pics of me to the strap on the guitar. Try to focus on the beauty, not the beast. :oops:
    07-14-2019 - Firecaster strap finished.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 1.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 2.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 1.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 2.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 3.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 3.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 4.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 5.jpg
    07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 6.jpg

horax likes this.
  11. LGOberean

Not much happening here in the past week. I'll be out of touch for a while. Beth and I are about to leave on another trip in our trailer. Not a long trip, just Texas state park kind of travel. But I don't have TDPRI on my phone, so I'll check back in when I get home. Y'all have a good week.

12. LGOberean

Okay, I'm back, just got in, parked the trailer, unloaded stuff, checked on the chickens. Now I've powered up my desktop and got on TDPRI, to post on this forum, not with my cell phone, but from my workspace and desktop, as God intended. :twisted:

I took my Firecaster II with me, because my younger brother hadn't seen it yet. He played it for quite a while unplugged in Mom's living room, before plugging into his amp (Peavey Envoy 110, USA made red stripe). I don't know why I didn't get video, but here's a still shot of him playing unplugged.
    07-25-2019 - Buddy with my Firecaster II.jpg

13. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Excited to be an owner of a Logan custom, as Bob just finished my guitar up earlier this week. Won't have it in my hands til next week sometime as I'm currently out of town but here are some pictures. White blonde finish with black double binding, and Fralin vintage pickups.

Attached Files:

14. LGOberean

Cool! Welcome to the club! What is the body wood?

15. LGOberean

Okay, @pagedr it's been a week. I'm wondering if you have you Logan Custom in hand yet. If so, are you just playing it so much that you're not posting here? If that's the case, I can sure understand that priority. But hope you will post your impressions/review soon, as well as more pics and maybe a video. And oh yeah, may I ask again about the body wood?

16. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Sorry missed your last post. It comes tomorrow! So I'll be sure to get some more pictures up this weekend. The body wood is swamp ash, with a nice chunky neck as well. Can't wait!

LGOberean likes this.
  17. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Alright so I was able to sneak home at lunch today to play the guitar for a little bit. First impressions - the guitar is outstanding! Fit and finish are great, the Fralin pickups are exactly what I was looking for (had never played Fralin's so was going based off of YouTube), and the setup is absolutely spot on. I'd asked Bob for a slightly chunkier neck carve and he delivered as it's super comfortable in my hands. Can't wait to log some more hours on it over the weekend while my girlfriend complains that, yet again, I'm spending more time with my guitars than I am with her. Below are a few pictures taken in my (messy) home studio.

For comparison sake, in addition to this new guitar I also have a Fender American Professional Tele and a Fender MIJ VRI Tele that are both great guitars (also an AVRI Strat and an AVRI Tele that I'm selling). From first impressions, this guitar is at least equal to those four in terms of fit/finish and overall build quality. I can't compare to anything above a Fender AVRI level guitar but you are definitely getting your money's worth and then some with a Logan. When I first discovered the Logan site I did a lot of Googling as I thought the prices were too good to be true, which is what led me to TDPRI. Glad I found this thread because it convinced me to put in an order.

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Awesome! Mighty good looking guitar, and I certainly believe you when comes to the quality, fit & finish and value of a Logan Custom. I'm glad to hear this thread was a help.

Oh, and that home studio looks very clean to me! My office/library/music room/man cave is still unfinished, and a kind of storage room, 9 years after the house fire. I aspire to your definition of "messy," so I'm not even going to post pictures of mine! :oops:

19. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Forgot to mention, but it's also insanely light. Probably the swamp ash body but I couldn't believe the weight when I picked it up. But yeah, the cables in the background made the picture look messy to me but it's actually not too bad right now.

20. LGOberean

I'm betting you're right about the weight (or lack thereof) being due to the swamp ash. My BSB has a swamp ash body, and it weighs just under 7 lbs. To be precise, 6 lbs. 14.7 oz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.