Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks! The planks before Bob started sanding and planing them was standard measurement 3/4".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

E1267A43-E5EB-41BA-8932-A0963B0CB089.jpeg B9576E25-C7B5-4565-A4FA-655AD24E0D46.jpeg

djh22, 8barlouie, horax and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hello friends, these pics were taken Friday night @Jack’s and Saturday night @Stickyfingers in Rhodes Greece.
    I can’t stop thanking Bob Logan for his amazing craftsmanship. This guitar is like no other and I paired it last night with a twin reverb. A match made in heaven.
    Hope you all are well
    All the best!

8barlouie and teletimetx like this.
  4. LGOberean

Mike, when I first read your post, I thought you were saying that there are venues for live music in Rhodes named "Jack's" and "Stickyfingers." Now I think I've figured out that you were tagging (if that's even the right word) specific TDPRI members. I've been dealing with sinus issues the last three days, so I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. :oops:

Mike Finn likes this.
  5. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Your first thought was correct Larry, those are the names of the two venues I performed at during the weekend. In fact Sticky Fingers had its 40th anniversary and I used to play every night in 1982 til 1986. Besides, I only know you and Bob on this forum and I’m not much of a tagger!
    All the best!

LGOberean likes this.
  6. LGOberean

Wow! So I got it right on the first try?!? :eek::) Well, don't worry...I won't let it go to my head! :twisted:

7. LGOberean

More pics from Bob on the Firecaster II build. First, to recap, here are cropped/close up views of pics of the bookmatched Long Leaf Pine planks for the top...
    06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II, close up of top (2).jpg

...and the back...
    06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II, close up of back.jpg

Yesterday evening, Bob sent me an update on what he has done to date on the build. So, the LLP top and back veneers are glued on to a basswood body that is chambered, and the neck pocket is routed. Bob stained the edges of the basswood body core a dark walnut, as we discussed, and he applied a sealer coat. As of last night, he had not yet routed the bridge or neck pickup on the body, or the back route for the controls. (There will be no pickguard or metal control plate on the top of the guitar. I want as much of that wood grain as possible to show.)

And then Bob sent some more pics, showing what he had described...
    06-11-2019 - Firecaster II body glued up - 1.jpeg
    06-11-2019 - Firecaster II body glued up - 2.jpeg
    06-11-2019 - Firecaster II body glued up - 3.jpeg
    06-11-2019 - Firecaster II body glued up - 4.jpeg

More specs and pics to come…

8. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I hereby declare that my next guitar will be a Logan

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Blake, I liked reading this, and I also "Liked" it. :) I feel safe in saying that you will be pleased with a Logan Custom.

Oh, and BTW, I PM'ed you.

horax likes this.
  10. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

That firecaster is gonna be stunning I can't wait to see the finished product! I am really considering a custom build from Logan myself

LGOberean likes this.
  11. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Larry that body of Firecaster II is looking great.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Just got some more pics this morning from Bob. He's routed for the pickups and the controls...
    06-17-2019 - Routed, front.jpeg 06-17-2019 - Routed, back.jpeg

Some of you here may have already seen this thread, but I created a "build" thread for this Firecaster II over in the "Other T-Types and Partscasters" sub-forum...
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-new-firecaster-build.955704/

8barlouie, voodooblues and horax like this.
  13. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Nice! @LGOberean looks like you're not going to have a control plate, but rather a direct knob on top of body approach?
    If so, I LIKE it! It's what I'm considering, actually. ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  14. LGOberean

Correct! No control plate on the top of the guitar. I want as much of those woodgrains to show as possible.

8barlouie and horax like this.
  15. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I'm not big on natural finishes, but that one is gorgeous! If I could replicate that I would!

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

This evening as I was walking out to our chicken coop, I got my cell phone out of the holster on my belt to use it as a flashlight. We made a trap door to coop our chickens in for the night, to protect them from varmits. So I close the hens and chicks in at night, and let them out in the morning. As I turned on my phone to look for the flashlight app, I noticed I had a text message that I somehow missed about 30 minutes earlier. It was from Bob Logan...

...My Firecaster II is finished! (Picture Snoopy from the Peanuts comic strip doing his happy dance here!) :):p:D

I've already talked about the specs, at least, I think I have. I'll double-check in a minute to make sure. For now, I'm just too excited not to share the pics Bob just sent me!
    06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 1.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 2.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 3.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 4.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 5.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 6.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 7.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 8.jpg

17. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Larry, that is PERFECT in every way!
    Only thing I would change is I would have gone with a vintage style ash tray, OR the short boy.

LOVE that you kept the pickup horizontal. I am SO sold on Bob’s work!

Can’t wait until I can actually get one.

Maybe I would have put a clear guard on that to protect the wood. I don’t know

So happy for you!

LGOberean likes this.
  18. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is one pretty instrument right there!

19. LGOberean

Need to head out the door in a minute. Just a quick update, two things...

1) Bob is going to (if he hasn't already) ship my Firecaster II on its way to me from Delafield. I haven't seen notification yet of shipment with a link to tracking, but if all goes as it has with my other Logan Customs, I should have the guitar in hand on Thursday.

2) One spec I haven't mentioned here yet: Bob informed me that this Firecaster weighs 5 lbs. 12 oz. (Remember, chambered body.) This sounds incredibly light to me, and will be my lightest tele by a good margin. Next to it is my first Firecaster, also chambered, weighing in at 6 lbs. 3 oz.

Now all I have to do is wait. And to me right now, "wait" is a four letter word! :twisted:

horax likes this.
  20. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Larry that is absolutely gorgeous. I've mentioned in the past about my recent affinity for natural wood guitars and seeing that has reawakened the beast. Can't wait until you get it and to hear your reaction upon playing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.