Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@oldnewby , that's a cool looking Logan! :cool: I'd like to see more pics, can't really tell about the double binding from that angle. And that Birdseye maple must be amazing! I have two with Birdseye maple neck & board, and in my experience, the photographs don't do them justice. But the pics of yours show some very nice figuring. Must be stunning in person!

Mike Finn likes this.
  2. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Some really nice looking guitars that have been posted here lately.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hello and welcome! Lovely Logan you have there! Enjoy it as they are amazing guitars! I see quite a few pedals. Do care to share your signal chain? I’m looking for ideas! Thanks.

4. LGOberean

I gigged twice today. The first one in the middle of the afternoon was a seniors care facility I play the third Tuesday of every month. I took my Logan Custom Challenger to this gig, played through my Crate "Limo" TX50D. The amp is what I use there because it's got an internal rechargeable battery, which can power vocals and guitar for a four hour gig. So I don't have to plug into an electrical outlet. They have me set up in their dining room, and although there are electrical outlets, where I set up I would have to run an extension cord, so I just choose this amp and not worry about it. The Crate's instrument input gives you two channels, one for acoustic/electrics (which actually sounds good) and one for electrics. But the teles don't sound as good through it, so I use the Challenger because of the humbuckers.

After that gig, I came home briefly, changed my shirt and picked up Beth and headed out to the second gig, another seniors care facility in a neighboring town. I played my monthly gig for them yesterday, but tonight was a special occasion. They were dedicating a new flag pole to their residents who are veterans (or to the spouses of veterans), and I was asked to provide the music. Just for convenience, I used the same gear I had loaded into my SUV for the previous gig. The fact that my amp didn't have to be plugged into a power outlet or run a long extension cord was again a convenience.

As I was doing a sound check, I decided that instead of repeating "Mic check" over and over, I'd just sing something quick, so I did the first verse of "America the Beautiful." When I finished, the people already starting to gather applauded. I replied, "Oh, thank you! That was just a sound check song, but thanks for applauding. That bodes well for the evening." :twisted: At the appropriate time, I sang the anthems for each of the branches of our military. Then, after the raising of the flag and the pledge of allegiance, I led the national anthem (which I sang a cappella). And at the close, I was asked to do "God Bless America." And that was it, short and sweet.

The activity director for the facility snapped this pic of me. As you can see, I've got my "Uncle Sam, the Later Years" look going on. :oops: But I'm actually glad this pic was posted on Facebook. I can't remember for sure, but I think this is the first pic of me with the Challenger at a gig. I've lost track of the number of times I've gigged with it since coming home with it last September, but never got the photographic evidence before now.
    05-21-2019 - Flag pole dedication ceremony at The Pavilion in Portland.jpg

One of their residents, Chester Britain, is a WWII vet. He was one of the marines in the Battle of Okinawa on April 1, 1945, Easter Sunday. He was wounded in that bloody conflict, and is a Purple Heart recipient. Here he is, receiving the flag for the ceremony, then walking up to the flag pole and raising the flag.
    05-21-2019 - Chester Britain receiving the flag.jpg 05-21-2019 - Chester Britain raising the flag - 1.jpg 05-21-2019 - Chester Britain raising the flag - 2.jpg

After the ceremony was over and I loaded my gear back into my SUV, Beth and I decided to go to the local Chili's restaurant for supper. As we walked in, the host asked for the number in our party. After saying it was just the two of us, he asked for a name, and I replied, "Uncle Sam." :twisted: Without batting an eye, he just wrote it down. I said, "Uh, that was a joke." He replied, "That's okay; I've heard a lot weirder."

So, as we turned to take a seat in the waiting area, there sat Chester Britain and his daughter Linda! He recognized me, laughed and said, "We had the same idea!" So I walked over at sat across from him and chatted for a bit. I asked "If you don't mind my asking, in what theater of operations did you serve?" That's how I found out about his part in the Battle of Okinawa. At his introduction at the ceremony, they mentioned that he was a marine and a Purple Heart recipient, but didn't go into the details of his service. He went on to other battles to the end of the war, then held a post-war stationing in Japan until April of 1946. Interesting man to talk to. He was 20 landed on Okinawa. I've got three grandchildren that are in their 20s now. Amazing to think about. I thanked him for his service.

Mike Finn, teletimetx and Bob Logan like this.
  5. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

My 1st Logan Custom is being shipped, can’t wait to share her with y’all

Mike Finn and LGOberean like this.
  6. LGOberean

Welcome, fellow Texan, to TDPRI, and to the Logan Custom owners club!

What's the connection between a username like "Surfspeck" and Texas Hill Country? I hope you don't mind, but I checked your profile page, and read there that your Logan Custom tele has a South Texas Mesquite cap over mahogany. I'm absolutely going to be eager to see pics of this guitar! And to hear about the other specs.

7. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

My New Logan Custom Build

S Texas Mesquite Cap over Chambered Mahogany
    Flame Maple Roasted Warmoth neck
    Jimmy Wallace hand wound PAF’s
    Pewter and raw stainless
    Locking Tuners
    Individual volume for each pickup
    Master tone with .22 orange drop cap and push pull for coil tapping on both pickups

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    horax likes this.
  8. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

brookdalebill, teletimetx and horax like this.
  9. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

Here is the piece of mesquite that I was able to procure from a sawmill in Comfort, TX. My good friend, Mark Piper from Redentore guitars helped me pick it it out and send it to Bob.[​IMG]

Mike Finn and teletimetx like this.
  10. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

Ive posted up pics and specs.

Well, I grew up on the Gulf Coast and did a lot of hunting, fishing and surfing in the marshes, rice fields and saltwater.

I love to fish for monster speckled trout in Baffin Bay particularly, but also in the surf and bays. Love to shoot speckled belly geese and surf so I came up with surfspeck probably 20 years ago when all of this internet stuff started and been using it ever since.

Ive been dying to build a guitar with some mesquite and I ended up selling a PRS DGT ( I played it for about 5 years exclusively ) but picked up my 52 reissue tele and haven’t put it down since. Ive just really gravitated to the tele style guitar and I figured I would try this build which throws many similar specs of the PRS into a tele style guitar with similar characteristics to my 52 Reissue Fender. Bob will ship it on Monday, cant wait to see, feel and hear it.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Looks wonderful! Great choices; especially like the roasted maple neck. Congrats and enjoy!

12. bigkenny

bigkenny TDPRI Member

I saw that one while he was building it, he spent a long time getting that guitar looking sweet. Well Done Bob, congrats on the one-of-a -kind ax!

surfspeck likes this.
  13. LGOberean

It's so cool that the cap on that body is mesquite from South Texas! :cool: So you've got yourself a "Mesquite-o-caster" there, surfspeck! :twisted:

I'm more of a single coil guy myself, particularly on teles (I do have a Logan Custom Challenger that has PAF style humbuckers). And I prefer my maple neck & board to be on the amber side of the color spectrum. But then again, I've never seen a roasted flame maple neck in person, maybe I'd feel differently if I saw one.

What is the profile on that neck? It may just be the effect of the skunk stripe in that particular lighting, but it looks like a V shape to my eyes.

Don't fish much anymore. My best friend and fishin' buddy moved away. We'd wade fish in Corpus Christi Bay, push up shrimp for bait from the grass line with our push net. As the morning grew later and warmer and the live bait was gone, we'd switch to lures, my favorite being the old standby, a Johnson gold spoon.

I used to take my son and youngest daughter fishing (my oldest daughter didn't take to it), but they're long since grown and gone now. Plus, after they moved out, I realized that somehow my fishing gear and tackle went with them! :eek::(;)

Mike Finn likes this.
  14. LGOberean

This morning I took a pic I've captioned "My Logan 'lectrics." :twisted:
    05-29-2019 - Logan 'lectrics.jpg

All of the electric guitars I own are Logan Customs. Of course, they're tele styles with the exception of Bob's Challenger. I didn't have a pic of just these Logan 'lectrics, so I decided to rectify that situation.

I did have a pic of my Logans before I got the Challenger, captioned "My Logan Custom Family Portrait." In that photo, I had my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele style in the middle.
    06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 1.jpg

So I guess now my next photograph will have to be an update of "My Logan Custom Family Portrait," to get all six of them in one shot. Don't have enough hangers on one wall to make that happen, so it'll have to be a couch shot.

Mike Finn and surfspeck like this.
  15. bigkenny

bigkenny TDPRI Member

My good friend Mike has a Logan. mikes logan.JPG

surfspeck and brookdalebill like this.
  16. LGOberean

BigKenny, is that a recent acquisition for your friend Mike? When my wife and I went up for a visit with Bob and Marge last September, I saw and played that very guitar, or one that looks just like it. And I was wearing my Dallas Cowboys T-shirt and ball cap at the time! :twisted:

surfspeck likes this.
  17. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

May have to name her “Skeeter”

The profile on the neck is as close to a 52 tele as we could get from Warmoth. I wanted a guitar with similar playability as my 52 reissue. It arrives next Monday, I’m counting the hours. Kinda like watching dirt grow ...lol. I’m anxious

Mike Finn likes this.
  18. LGOberean

I mentioned last month that I am talking with Bob about having another Logan Custom Firecaster made from the Long Leaf Pine planks that were salvaged from the house fire. Today he sent me pics of the selected planks for the top and back of the guitar. Here they are...
    06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II - 1.jpg 06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II - 2.jpg

Bob gave me the choice of having the cleaned and sanded side showing, or the rough side exposed. It was actually a bit of a tough choice, because the rough side sure does look like 83 year old construction grade lumber that's literally been through the fire. But I'm going with the clean and sanded side. What do y'all think of my choice?

Mike Finn and surfspeck like this.
  19. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

Very nice, that’s gonna be killer

LGOberean likes this.
  20. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Awesome! Cannot wait to see it!
    How thick are they?

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.