Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Monday, after I returned home from our weekend trip, I checked Bob's website, as I often do on Mondays. The last electric guitar listed--which I assumed was his latest addition to the guitars for sale on his site--was a 2019 (if I read the serial # right) tele with a figured flame top. I didn't download or copy the specs, so I don't remember them. I do remember that it had a maple fretboard and a white pickguard as well as the figured flame top.

And now it's gone. Another sale of one of Bob's guitars advertised on his site? Boy, that was fast! :eek:

2. aarongreen123

aarongreen123 Tele-Meister

I've been eyeballing Logan's for a few years, and finally pulled the trigger on one! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. LGOberean

Wow, congratulations! That looks like a 2018 vintage cream that Bob's had advertised on his site for a while. Just checked, and it's not there anymore. So I'm guessing this is the guitar you bought? I really like the look, but I can't remember the specs. Share some details, would you, please?

Oh, BTW, totally unrelated, but I know an Aaron Green here in town. Any chance that's you? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

4. aarongreen123

aarongreen123 Tele-Meister

Yes that’s the one! I’ve been eye balling it for a while. It’s got twang Kings and a swamp ash body, nothing out of the ordinary beyond that. I’ve had a few other teles, but this is the first one that seemed to fall out if the box sounding right. I had an American deluxe and another standard, both sounded very sterile to me, almost strat like in a bad way. This thing just sounds like a tele should to my ears. Where are you located?

5. LGOberean

Cool! A Logan Custom tele made of swamp ash with Twang Kings, I've got one of those...
    Logan Custom BSB, close-up of the body.jpg

The Twang Kings are my favorite set of pickups.

I'm in Corpus Christi, Texas, BTW. I didn't really figure the local Aaron Green I know is you. I don't know him that well, but I think I would have known if he played guitar or owned a tele.

At any rate, I'm glad you posted. I was talking to Bob yesterday, and he said that he's sold about 25 guitars since the first of the year. But not every Logan Custom buyer winds up posting here, obviously. I appreciate it when others find their way to this owners club thread.

6. LGOberean

Today marks a significant date for our family. On this day in 1998, 21 years ago, our first granddaughter was born. Some of you may remember that Beth is a midwife. She was still a student midwife at the time of that birth, but she "caught" her granddaughter.

(Midwives most often refer to "catches," not "deliveries." They often quip, "Pizzas are delivered; we catch." Or a variation on that theme, "The mother delivers her baby; we catch.")

Here is the birthday girl, our granddaughter at 10 years of age, with my Logan Custom mahogany slung over her shoulder.
    Elizebeth with my Logan Custom mahogany tele - 2008.jpg

She doesn't play guitar. I think she had a bit of an interest back then, but art will always be her first love.
    PawPaw Playing Guitar, by Elizebeth.jpg

Coincidentally, May 6th was also the day of our house fire, 9 years ago today. I'm afraid we made our granddaughter's twelfth birthday rather anti-climactic that year. I could also post pics from the fire, but I prefer to focus on the good that came out of that, and my Logan Custom "Firecaster" was definitely one of the good things...
    My Logan Custom Firecaster 01.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 02.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 03.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 07.jpg

Oh, and BTW, Bob still has left over planks of the Long Leaf Pine that I salvaged from the demolition process and sent to him. And I've been talking to him about another guitar using that LLP, a "Firecaster II," if you will. Which reminds me, I need to reply to an email he sent me. Later...

7. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hi to all, my name is Mike.
    I’m an American living in Greece. I recently looked for a telecaster and tried a brand new American Professional Series natural w/maple neck. It was for €1650, which is $1860. First, it was out of my reach and most importantly it was poorly set up, and didn’t had “Mass Produced “ all over. At that moment I decided to go with a custom luthier. I had the experience of a custom made instrument back in the 90s, so after doing my homework I contacted Bob Logan.
    From the go, I met a kind and generous person who’s always trying to satisfy the client’s needs. Not once did he try to push pricier models or add costly materials to what I was looking for. On the contrary, he met my every need and went way beyond to make sure that I received more than I ever dreamed of. I’ve been playing guitar & bass for more than 35 years. I chose an Orange Tele with Twang King pickups. It arrived via USPS with great care and as soon as I opened the case, the smell of a brand new custom made instrument hit me. You know you’ve got a great guitar when you play it unplugged and every note resonates harmonically through the body. I plugged it into my Roland Cube 30 and everyone in my band stopped and marveled at my sound. All that at half the price of the brand name guitar.
    Amazingly, Bob Logan was very interested to see if I was pleased with the guitar. That’s what you get. A custom made guitar tailored to your specifications.
    I’m now the proud owner of a Logan Custom Tele!
    Thank you,Bob!

Attached Files:

surfspeck and teletimetx like this.
  8. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hi, I’m Mike. Congratulations on your new buy. That’s the 4-position pickup selector vintage cream Tele! I was torn between that one and the Orange beast that I just received! No regrets though! I’m one happy puppy!
    Enjoy your guitar!

9. LGOberean

Καλώς ήλθατε στο TDPRI και σας ευχαριστώ που συμμετείχατε στην ιστορία αυτή.

Yeah, I know, Mike, you said you're an American living in Greece, but I've been interested in studying and reading the Greek language for a long time.

Anyway, welcome to TDPRI and more specifically to the Logan Owners club thread. And thank you for sharing your story. Yeah, DiMarzio Twang Kings are my current favorite tele pickups, as I've said above just recently. Mine has a 4-way switch with the Twang Kings. Does yours have the 4-way or the 3-way?

10. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Hi, I mention that on my first post here. Feel free to read it. Of course it’s subjective (as much as I tried to be objective), but a custom build can only be challenged by a Custom Shop. But the numbers are brutal!

11. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Thanks for the welcome! Mine is a 3-way and is my first ever Tele. I was a 335 guy that went astray with a Strat, but I am lucky cause my Logan has already rewarded me! Gigging tomorrow night running through a TC mojo mojo, a TC HOF reverb, to my Roland Cube 30 miked with a Sennheiser MD-421. Btw, you’ve got lots of beauties! Happy playing!

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Quite a few years ago, I got a chance to play a guy's 335, and the guitar practically played itself! In more recent years, I've played Epiphone "335s": a Dot about 8-9 years ago, and a couple of Sheraton IIs. The two Sheratons were a little disappointing, compare to the Gibson. But then again, with both of them, on two separate occasions, I got them off the wall at the local Guitar Center. Maybe they were just in need of a good set up. I remember the Dot being better.

So you're going to gig the Logan? Have a good one! I'm not much of a pedal guy, but what I've heard of the HOF I really like. And that's quite a mic to put on an amp cab. I've never gotten fancier with mic'ing an amp than a Shure SM57.

13. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

I was young and dumb and sold my vintage 335 for a Charvel super-Strat serial number 001 with Tom Anderson pickups. You see, the whole Van Halen Yngwie Malmsteen era of the 80s found me wanting to rock & look cool! Of course that didn’t last. Soon after I went to Miami and got into jazz funk and switched to bass. That’s when
    I ordered an Alembic style bass from a custom luthier in England JayDee custom bass guitars. Fantastic instrument but it got stolen in Miami in 1991. Now since 2017 I have been back on guitar and I’m loving my new Logan! It’s a total instrument. I can get all the tones that I want with that guitar. I also use a 1980s Washburn 335 for the semi-hollow sounds that I need.
    Btw, as I’m in Greece, there is an 8 hour time difference so sometimes I will reply the following day. It’s not due to ignorance! It’s because I am probably asleep!
    Thanks
    Mike.

14. LGOberean

Yeah, Mike, I factored in the time zone difference. Back in the mid 1980s, I lived in Papua New Guinea. I don't remember the time differential now exactly, it's been 30+ years ago. But it was something like 13 hours ahead of here in South Texas.

Mike Finn likes this.
  15. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Great intro post! and I really appreciate it. I've been on the fence with a Logan for a LONG time. I feel badly because every time I'm ready to get one, something else falls in my lap.
    once it was a beautiful PRS S2 singelcut...another time it was a Fender AO50 tele.
    I'm set for guitars now, but I will be buying one eventually...that I'm sure of!

Mike Finn and LGOberean like this.
  16. bigkenny

bigkenny TDPRI Member

Okay! Let's try this again.... Been a member for a while.

Recently acquired the coveted Logan Starling...Two t90's on a beautifully appointed tele style Logan. Played it at a gig on Saturday and my White and Silver dc Falcons sat sadly on their stands while the Starling sang like a bird.
    I also have a spalted map View attachment 608528 maple 1.JPG maple 1.JPG maple2.JPG maple2.JPG

voodooblues and LGOberean like this.
  17. bigkenny

bigkenny TDPRI Member

lost the Starling photo...here it is star3.JPG star3.JPG STARLING.JPG

LGOberean and teletimetx like this.
  18. Mike Finn

Mike Finn TDPRI Member

Saturday night at Cindy’s Harbor Bar, Crete with Giafranco on acoustic/voice & Alkis with a 1963 Gibson Barney Kessel
    Bob’s Logan truly stole the show, with great sound, awesome playability, and some tasty note choices by yours truly!
    Enjoy yourselves whatever you’re doing, friends!

Attached Files:

LGOberean and teletimetx like this.
  19. oldnewby

oldnewby NEW MEMBER!

IMG_5180.jpg Hello all,

I have lurked on this board from time to time but never joined until now. I picked up this beautiful Logan Tele in a trade this week. Previous owner did not have the build sheet so I emailed Bob and he was kind enough to send the following;

Warmouth Birdseye maple neck with side truss rod adjust. 10-16' compound radius,Boat neck V profile finished in Satin Lacquer.
    1 piece aged poplar body with double white binding, finished in 100% nitrocellulose lacquer
    Ashtray bridge with brass compensated saddles.
    Matched set Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro ll single coil pickups.
    3 way switch, 250K audio pots,.047 O.D tone cap. Gibson plate with switch craft input jack.
    Chrome appointments.
    White pick guard.
    Was set up with D'Addario 10-46 strings.

Cheers everyone and hats off to Bob

Paul in Boise

20. LGOberean

@bigkenny , thanks for posting those pics in this thread. I saw your "The Starling has landed" thread, glad you posted here. Two good looking guitars you have there. You obviously like P-90s. My first Logan Custom also employed that P-90 neck/vintage style tele single coil bridge pickup configuration. It's a great combination. On mine, the black cover of the P-90 is set against the backdrop of a blackguard, sorta gives it a stealth appearance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.