Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

On Saturday, I got to try out FMIC's new acoustic/electric offering. For those interested, I started a thread/review about it, here.

I test drove it because I was curious, and also because the owner of a local store challenged me to come in and try it. The store is Clawson's Music here in Corpus Christi, and the owner was Bubba Clawson. He had posted on the store's Facebook page that they had the instrument in. I've shopped there for decades, and I like to support them when I can. So I made a comment to his post, and he encouraged me to come on in. So I did, and subsequently replied to the same Facebook post a follow-up/review.

It's a good guitar, but as people here probably know, I won't be pulling the trigger. FMIC's acoustic/electric is advertised as being able to convincingly emulate several types of acoustic guitars and a Tele bridge pickup. But it needs a two amplifier rig to sound its best. The acoustic models through the DRRI I first plugged into didn't sound quite like acoustic guitars, and the differences between the models were barely perceptible. The bridge pickup sounded best through the DRRI, but even then it wasn't the tele sounds I'm accustomed to. I think the phosphor bronze strings and the N4 Noiseless pickup were the reasons for that. The acoustic models came alive when played through a PA, but then the electric side suffered.

So while FMIC is lauding this as a "one guitar to rule them all" purchase, it's not a easy, uncomplicated thing. You need two different forms of amplification. And of course, since I have my Logan Custom acoustic/electric, "Aggie," and my four Logan Custom teles, this latest offering just isn't a guitar I need. And as I've been posting about my Aggie in threads where it is appropriate to do so, it's generated some interest.

2. harvardh

harvardh NEW MEMBER!

Hi all. I'm Harvey and new to the forums.
    I wanted to design my own tele after seeing some really beautiful guitars from the White Chicken to the Thinline Super deluxe. I started looking around locally(Vancouver, Canada) and when that didn't pan out I turned to the ONLINE world. One of my searches landed me here last April 2018 and I was really swayed by all of the positive feedback about Logan guitars and to make a long story short...Bob Logan makes a quality axe and his customer service is on point. All of our communication was through email and trust. There were a couple of issues along the way but every challenge was dealt with professionally. I'm very happy with the finished product and will definitely get another Logan in the future! Cheers
    Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 001 (1).JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 002.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 003.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 004.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 005.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 006.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 007.JPG Harvardh's custom thinline tele, S-N- 18906 008.JPG

3. LGOberean

Welcome, Harvey! And congrats on that Logan Custom! That reminds me of the White Starling that Bob has on his site, but yours has more bling! :cool: I can guess at some of the specs, but I'd like to hear it from you. Tell us more! :)

4. harvardh

harvardh NEW MEMBER!

Hi. Here are the specs...

Body
    -Right handed Mahogany on Mahogany body
    -Rear rout
    -25-1/2" scale
    -side jack hole
    -White Pearl Metallic body and headstock
    - f-hole
    -contoured heel
    belly cut

Hardware
    -Duncan Seymour SH-4 JB SH-2N pickups (passive) in white with gold poles/screws
    -gold humbucker pickup frame
    -gold Sperzel locking tuners...added white pearloid buttons now instead of gold
    -gold tune-o-matic bridge and tail peace(tonepros)
    -gold locking strap lock buttons. (Schaller)
    -gold 3way toggle switch
    -V-V-T-T knobs supplied by owner.

Neck
    - Maple with ebony fretboard. White binding + headstock,
    -standard thin
    -stainless steel 6105 fret size
    -White pearloid trapezoid inlays
    -black side dots
    -10"-16" compound radius
    -22 frets
    -Vintage tint satin nitro

Larry, cool tele acoustic you got there!

LGOberean likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Thanks for that info. I was guessing right about a lot of the specs, like the Sperzel tuners and the ebony fretboard, but nice to know some of the other specs that are not as obvious, like fret size and compound radius. Mahogany on mahogany body? That makes me curious as to what the guitar weighs, even with the thinline construction and belly cut.

Oh, and about my acoustic/electric tele style, thanks. Like you said, Bob Logan makes a quality axe.

harvardh likes this.
  6. LGOberean

I played a gig this afternoon, at a venue I play every month. It's been a while since I've used any other guitar for this gig besides my Logan Custom BSB.
    11-01-2017 - at The Mirador.jpg

Today I did something different; I took my Logan Custom Challenger instead.
    My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 2.jpeg

When I first got this guitar back in September, I played it every day and gigged with it a bunch. Then I had my shoulder injury and wasn't gigging for a while, and when I came back, I got back into gigging with the BSB or Firecaster (for electric guitar, that is, I've continued to use "Aggie," my Logan Custom acoustic/electric for gigging otherwise). Last week, I used the Challenger for two gigs, and again today. It was fun to have it back in the gigging rotation.

7. LGOberean

Anyone here own or ever played a guitar with a Korina body? Bob has a recent offering on his site that is made from quarter sawn Korina. He describes it as "a Superior tone wood from Africa."

I'm not really familiar with the wood. I've heard of it, connected with Gibson/Epiphone guitars, I think. I don't know if FMIC has used it for Teles, Strats or whatever. I haven't paid much attention to the specs of specific models of Fender guitars since I bought my first Logan Custom 11 years ago.

8. horax

horax Tele-Holic

a lot of people search for Korina bodied guitars for their different tonal qualities.
    I've never played one myself, but some great recordings have been done with them.

The Edge from U2 plays a korina explorer, for reference.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Well, it's Monday, and as I often do, I start the week with checking out Bob's website. He has a guitar on there that has my attention.

No, it won't be my next Logan Custom, I'm still planning and saving for that one. This one has my attention because of its similarity in many respects--or should I say, specs--to my BSB: tele with a swamp ash body; amber tinted maple neck/board; DiMarzio Twang King pickups; 4-way switch; weighs almost exactly what my BSB does. The finish color, tuners, pickguard and bridge plate are different than mine. But I'm betting this guitar is going to sound very close to mine.

10. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Anybody know if Bob can do a Jaguar?

11. LGOberean

When I first read your question, I thought that Bob has already made Jags. However, an initial search of this thread using TDPRI search features didn't turn up a Logan Custom Jaguar, nor did I find one on Bob's website. Still, I think it's a safe bet he can and will. Unless I'm remembering wrong, the offset body is the same as a Jazzmaster, it's the pickups and the scale length that differ between those two models. And Bob definitely does Jazzmasters. I thought about asking him this question, but then that's something you can do yourself, if you're of a mind to pursue it.

horax, I'm just going from memory on this, but didn't you say something before about your wife liking offsets, but teles less so, and that you had some arrangement with her that you paint the house and you get to buy a guitar?

12. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Yep. That was me. Was gearing up for a jazzmaster build but my wife found a killer PRS that she fell in love with so I got that instead.

LGOberean likes this.
  13. audBall

audBall TDPRI Member

/egregious lurk mode off

I'm going on two years now with mine which is very similar to the one linked above.

See link here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/logan-custom-guitars-club.151668/page-309#post-7472370

Differences to mine include Medium C neck, 3 way switch w/o additional circuitry, and flat SS bridge plate.

Still love it to pieces! If only work didn't get in the way of playtime...

14. LGOberean

Just checking back in today and noticed that I hadn't replied to this post. I thought I had. Sometimes it scary how forgetful I can be. :oops: You're younger than my youngest child, @audBall, so maybe you don't relate.

Anyway, thanks for going off "lurk mode" to chime in again. Yeah, those wood grains on "Sonora" are beautiful, and the cream white is just a classic, great look. Just the whole look, with the tort guard, maple fretboard, etc. is just great. Swamp ash tele with DiMarzio Twang Kings, Bob's stainless steel bridge plate, great combination!

15. LGOberean

Well, it finally happened.

The city did so much work on the road in front of my house last year, that it destabilized the ground. After hearing an odd rumbling noise shortly after 1 A.M., I stepped outside to see a massive sinkhole that stretch from one curb to the other, about 40 feet across.

Fortunately no one was hurt, but no one can get past it, so everyone is having to detour. Some people saw the hole and wondered if a meteor had hit. Police who were called to the scene took one look at it and said it was indeed a sinkhole; apparently, they've seen these before. Firefighters, rescue teams and EMTs also showed up just in case.

In the beginning, the hole was only about eight feet deep. But it continued to get deeper. By the time the police showed up, they estimated it was about 15 ft deep. It has continued to get even deeper. Just before I started typing this, it was already at a depth of about 30 feet. It is now at 35 ft. Amazingly, both curbs are still holding up.

UPDATE:
    After my last paragraph 20 minutes ago, the hole seems to have bottomed out around 50 feet, and now it's filling up with groundwater.

UPDATE:
    The water has now topped out at about 5 ft. below ground level. Some people are tossing coins in and making wishes as the water level rises.

UPDATE:
    One of the bystanders who like to fish threw in a hook, and has already caught a sizable trout.

UPDATE:
    Doughnuts finally showed up for the police. They're sharing with the fishers and well-wishers. Some newcomers have decided to go for a late morning swim.

UPDATE:
    A shark fin has been spotted. The swimmers are scrambling for the edge of the pavement.

UPDATE:
    It wasn't a shark.... just an EMT with a cardboard fin and a sick sense of humor.

UPDATE: I just wanted to say April's Fool Day. None of these things happened. :D:twisted:

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 TDPRI Member

Just a snapshot of the Logan being used live!
    IMG-20190402-WA0021.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Huh - it's like the White Falcon of teles. My first impression was "gaudy", but as I scrolled the images, it really starts to resonate with me. Congratulations - I hope it gives you much joy.

18. LGOberean

I've got a gig tonight, an outdoor gig at a marina. And therein lies my dilemma about which guitars to take.

I'm going to do both acoustic and electric sets. For the electric guitar, of course it will be one of my Logans. (I don't even own a non-Logan electric guitar.) I'm 99% decided on my go-to tele, my Logan Custom BSB. It's sturdy, it's weathered outdoor gigs before, and the 4-way switch makes it really versatile.

I would like to do an all Logan Custom night, so for my acoustic/electric for the evening, I'm inclined towards "Aggie," my Logan acoustic/electric tele style. But this would be the first time I've exposed Aggie directly to the salt air. As far as I can recall, in all of the gigs I've done with her for more than a year, they've all been indoor gigs.

I don't quite know what I'm nervous about; I've gigged other acoustic/electrics outdoors plenty of times, and they've weathered the weather fine. I'm sure it'd be no different for Aggie. But...there's this nagging feeling...

Anybody want to weigh in on which to take? Aggie or one of my workhorse a/e guitars from before Aggie arrived over a year ago? Cast your votes soon, because I'll need to change strings on whichever guitar I take, and load out and be ready to drive to the gig by 5:30 this afternoon.

19. LGOberean

Well, I decided on Aggie, but an unforeseen turn of events: the gig was cancelled. The winds were really high, which would have been quite problematic for this outdoor venue with picnic style tables and awnings mounted to the middle of the tables. The proprietors have learned from previous experience that the awnings in high winds can actually be pulled out of the table and take off like a sail.

Frustrating, though. I had rehearsed for hours, and had just finished loading my SUV with my guitars and gear when I got the word. She apologized to me, and offered me another booking in two weeks time, which I accepted.

20. LGOberean

Haven't been active here for a while, looks like I'm not the only one. Beth and I were away visiting my family for a few days, on our family "farm" (hasn't been a working farm in years, but we still call the property that) southwest of Ft. Worth (375 miles north of us here in Corpus Christi). I'm pretty sure I've mentioned our "farm" before, but let me post some pictures to give you a visual sense of what I'm talking about.

The highway running by our property is called the "Lipan Highway" by those of us old timers and locals, but it's Texas Farm to Market Road 4. What was County Road 117 (a 3/4 mile long caliche road from the highway when I was a boy) was named "Overton Court" after my grandfather when the road was paved. Our family has owned the property for about a century, and my grandfather was known in the community. So here I am with our dog Bella by the Overton Court sign situated on FM 4. Off to the left behind me is the actual road.
    04-20-2019 - Me & Bella at Overton Court sign.jpg

And these pics are obviously looking down Overton Court on that 3/4 mile stretch to the farm...
    04-19-2019 - Overton Court - 1.jpg 04-19-2019 - Overton Court - 2.jpg

And here I am in front of two of the houses on the property, which we somewhat unimaginatively call the "big house" and the "little house." The big house (behind me) is where the old farm house was, that burned down in 1985. My parents built a brick home on that footprint. The little house (off to the left) is the one I lived in as a boy, and Mom now lives in again (my Dad passed years ago). She uses the Big House as rental property.
    04-20-2019 - Me on the farm.jpg

Okay, that was a trip down memory lane, or maybe I should say "Overton Lane." Bringing the discussion back to Logan Customs, I've got that gig that was called off coming up, this Saturday, and as before, I'll be using my BSB and Aggie.

horax and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.