Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the reply, Bob. They certainly are interesting. They each remind me a little of the maple sandwiched between rosewood on the George Harrison Tele.

On a separate note, how are you and Margie faring with the cold weather? I know Wisconsin winters are always cold, particularly as I define cold weather, but this winter seems to be one for the record books. Are y'all okay? Have you had any issues with utilities/heating? Can you ice skate on "Logan's Pond"? :twisted:

2. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 TDPRI Member

It’s been some time since I got my 2 Logan’s. I have been playing them weekly, with the 3P90 being my main guitar. It just feels right every time in play it. I guess it’s like what I want in a guitar distilled. The alternate Logan, known as Blue Kestrel gets little less play time though I would like to rectify that.

I came up with the specifications of both guitar to play with my custom pedal board. Both guitars have piezo outs in stereo and yes I run both signals quite often simultaneously using piezo with preamp straight to board and electric signal to drive an amp.

Thanks again Mr Logan for designing and making my ideas a reality.

teletimetx, LGOberean and Bob Logan like this.
  3. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

Well, the weather has been really cold here in Wisconsin. Last week the daytime high was 24 below zero. Yesterday we had freezing rain and hail. The roads were treacherous. Lots of accidents. We are looking foreword to spring. Only 36 days away. This is Wisconsin, so what can I say. Bob

LGOberean likes this.
  4. LGOberean

I remember "Blue Kestrel." Or I've got a vague recollection in my head, anyway. I like the color blue for guitars, and it's not often you see the 3 pickup configuration on a tele (except for a Nashville). I had forgotten about your guitars having the piezo and electric signal capabilities. Now I'm wondering what that looks like on your guitar; is the piezo out and 1/4" jack cup side-by-side on the lower bout, or is it some other configuration? Any pics of this, perchance?

5. LGOberean

Thanks, Bob. I've been concerned for you and Margie with the temps I've been reading about. As for a temp of 24 below :eek:, I can't even wrap my mind around such a number. I'd be curled up in bed in a fetal position, under as many quilts as I could find. :oops:

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

That there is a beautiful guitar, Larry! Thanks for the photos.

My, how time flies. Come this April, I will have been enjoying Root Beer for five years. As I spend my time back and forth between Austin and Houston, I've been leaving Root Beer up in Austin, so I can have quality time on the weekends. It really is a joy to play that guitar - and as I always say, if you hear something you don't like, it's not the guitar's fault!

This spring, though, my wife and I are finally going to consolidate our households here in Houston and I'm looking forward to that. As an interim preparation, I moved into another apartment here in Houston, and slightly dog-tired from humping boxes for 2 days...but got 'er done. In the process, came across the Bible that belonged to my great-grandfather - who lived in Wisconsin, of all places. Janesville, I think.

I'm now fortunate enough to have 2 grandsons and I'm hoping to be able to pass that Logan tele on to one of them, as I'm sure it will last longer than I will.

Anyhow, best wishes to your family and hope that everyone stays warm.

Here's a few photos of Root Beer, including one that shows the birds eye maple on the neck.

applephone aug2014 070.JPG

neck with birds eye.jpg

...EDIT: btw - I really like the rosette/mosaic strip down the middle of the back of your acoustic electric - reminds me of the little Martin 000-16 I have with a similar stripe:
    back stripe.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    LGOberean likes this.
  7. TeleGasser

TeleGasser TDPRI Member

Removing this post as Bob and I have begun to discuss things privately.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. LGOberean

Since TeleGasser has removed his offending posts, I have removed my quotes of him and comments concerning the same.

9. TeleGasser

TeleGasser TDPRI Member

Removing my post per prior reason.

10. LGOberean

That is a just a beautiful guitar. Never tire of seeing pics of Root Beer. It also makes me think of Sanford (telecaster man), because his Logans for the most part have a natural finish, which he prefers.

About that family Bible, I relate. My grandfather had a Bible that he used for decades, practically wore the cover off of it. When he passed in 1974, I offered to have it rebound for my grandmother. She entrusted it to me, and I had it rebound to look as much as possible like the original binding, with her name imprinted on the front cover.

The front free end page has my grandfather’s signature, and underneath it, in my grandmother’s handwriting, “Larry had this Bible rebound for me Xmas 1974 – M.O.”

For the next eleven years, this was my grandmother’s Bible. When she passed away (I was living in Papua New Guinea at the time), this Bible passed to my father. Unfortunately, he died of lymphoma just four short years later. And so now it's mine.
    [​IMG]

Oh and about that back purfling mosaic, I've never owned a Martin, so I can't compare to that up close and personal, but here's a closer look at the back purfling/strip on my tele acoustic/electric Logan Custom...
    01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 5.jpeg

Hmm...that's weird. That pic should be oriented vertically, not horizontally. I wonder why that happened? Oh, well...

11. LGOberean

Since TeleGasser has removed his offending posts, I have removed my quotes of him and comments concerning the same.

12. chimaera1982

20190209_121056.jpg

Blue Kestrel!
    Taking her out for jam in rotation to the 3 P90 logan.

She's equipped with a stereo jack and am using a custom stereo cable to run both the piezo and electric signal out together. My pedal board is custom designed to split the two signal and run simultaneous electric to amp and piezo to board.

When I designed the 2 Logans both were custom specced to work with the board. In my gig we start with acoustic style soft songs where I mainly run piezo to board and supported with chorused electric tone.

Ending is straight ahead heavy rock where I let loose, however those songs a lot of the refrain is pure acoustic then I just kill using a switcher the heavy distorted electric tone and run pure acoustic piezo signal.

Loving it!

LGOberean and teletimetx like this.
  13. TeleGasser

TeleGasser TDPRI Member

wow...whatever my friend.

I am talking to Bob now privately. As such I have removed my original post. I don't want to get into a forum argument with you. Honestly, my problem is not with you and really don't care what you have to say on this matter.

It is up to you to delete your posts or edit them so that any trace of the original post is left on this thread. You have quoted me in one of them, and only you can remove it.

thank you

Festus_Hagen likes this.
  14. LGOberean

I have removed my quotes of your offending posts and my comments regarding them. You have retained a quote of one of my posts in your most recent post, and so likewise it is up to you to remove it.

15. LGOberean

Yeah, that's the color I had in my head, though I had forgotten about the painted headstock. So how do the TV Jones pickups do as a divergence from P-90s? It sounds like a very versatile guitar, very versatile rig. I generally do two guitars, two amps for my gigs. I'm not in a band, so I guess that makes a difference in application for me as well.

16. chimaera1982

It's a very hot TV Jones pickup, Billy Gibbons pickup, gives a humbucker sound with the twang sizzle still present.
    Although it's a 3 way pickup selector its wired very differently. It has a push pull that activates the middle pickup. Hence normal in down position its standard 3 way 2 hums setting. Pulling will activate the middle either on it's own and in conjunction with the neck/bridge. The middle is a low out put pickup so I use activate it for the softer/quieter songs..

17. LGOberean

I couldn't tell from the pic which TV Jones pickups you had in the neck and bridge, the middle looks like a Duo-Tron. I'll say it again, sure sounds like a very versatile guitar/pickup configuration.

18. LGOberean

I'm just doing a test post here. This past Friday I posted a pic from my files to my comment (#6850 above), and the picture came out sideways, i.e., it displayed a horizontal orientation when it should have been vertical. So I want to try again and see if that was just a one time glitch with TDPRI or something that needs reporting. So here's the same pic, and hopefully this time it will display correctly.

01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 5.jpeg

EDIT: Oh, good, problem solved, whatever it was.

19. LGOberean

Today's the day! Yes, it is Valentine's Day, but what I'm talking about is my Valentine's Day gig. I'll be leaving in a little more than two hours to drive north for a bit up to another coastal town in South Texas. I'll be playing from 6-9 pm. And it will be an all Logan Custom guitar night. I'm taking my tele acoustic/electric and my BSB. It's my first time to play this establishment, but the owner of a restaurant at a marina in a nearby town recommended me. The base pay is good, my standard rate ($150 for 3 hours), but it remains to be seen how their patrons will tip. Hoping for a good night; I'm trying to save up for another Logan Custom "Firecaster." :twisted:

20. LGOberean

Well, last week's Valentine's Day (Night?) gig went well. I took the two Logan Custom guitars I talked about: my BSB and Aggie, my a/e. Not the best tips I've ever gotten, but respectable. I've got $221 set aside now for my next Firecaster.

I've gigged twice this week with Aggie. It's great for gigs. And I find myself just noodling with it at night. Unplugged, the small, thin hollow-body has a sound similar to a parlor guitar, but plays like a tele, even strung with .011 gauge phosphor bronze strings. I don't know why this wasn't a big seller for Bob. He doesn't have it advertised on his site now, so I don't know if he would bring it back, or make them on demand. I can't help but think that with the current renewed interest in the acoustic/electric telecaster, there could be more of a market for it now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.