1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, Justin. Yeah, I'll post about the next Firecaster as I'm able to move forward with this. The computer issues I mentioned earlier may slow things down a bit. BTW, I'm using Beth's computer again. Both my computer that won't power on and Beth's came through the fire 5 years ago, and they were not new even then. Beth's been telling me that her computer was acting up, but I didn't realize just how much until the last few days I've been using it. So it looks like our next purchase will be a couple of computers.

As for plans for the second and changes from the first...

Body materials will be the same, salvaged planks from the house fire (Douglas Fir for the body core, Long Leaf Pine for the top and back). The neck will be a single piece of maple, like the first one, no Birdseye figuring. The finish/color will be different. I'm considering natural. That may have a bit of a rough look to it, but then it is a guitar made from salvaged lumber, so if it looks like salvaged materials, that'll be part of its charm.

I truly haven't decided on pickups. At times I think I want a Firebird neck pup with a vintage style bridge pup, the Hot Rod thing (Randy/rebelwoclue has an Old Crow Hot Rod that really inspires me in that direction). At other times I think I'd like to stick with my favorite pups, the Twang Kings, with a 4-way switch like on my BSB. But then I've been thinking about the TV Jones Classics for quite a while, and Bob brought them up recently in our talks about this next build. I do like the fact that I have different pickup configurations and/or brands in each of my Logans. So the jury's still out on the pups.

2. Jayal

Jayal TDPRI Member

She's back !

Hi Larry
    Hope your computer problems wil be over soon, they can be such a drag...
    Picked my guitar at the luthier last night :D She is now fantastic !
    No more buzzing, the frets are leveled perfectly, the fret edges are a lot smoother + the luthier slightly smoothed out the edges of the neck to make them less sharp.
    I am sure Bob would have adjusted the neck and leveled the frets for me on warranty but I got everything done locally for about the same price as shipping it back and forth to Bob + it was a lot quicker:lol:
    Spent about 2 hours last night playing it acoustic only and it sounds great and
    sustain is fantastic. Later this afternoon i will plug it in to my Champ...
    When I have a chance I will post a picture of her hanging on the wall with her 2 sisters
    Again thanks for your kind words !
    Jayal

3. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Jayal, I'm happy to hear your tele is up and running. I too had my guitar professionally set up, frets leveled and dressed, neck adjusted and intonation set properly. Guitar has played great now for a couple years and I could not be happier. Bob builds wonderful guitars and I look forward to your updates. Peace, Stephen

4. johnnybel

johnnybel TDPRI Member

Just ordered my Logan

Hi I am new to your forum I talked with Bob Logan today and after our conversation, I ordered one of his guitars, He said that he would start working on it right way, He was a stand up guy, Now the weight begins.
    Thanks for posting your thoughts it helps make a discussion.

All the best

5. LGOberean

Jayal, glad to hear things are good now. :D

About the computer stuff, I got my old desktop repaired. The power supply went out on it. Beth and I decided it was time to upgrade our computers, though, since both came through our house fire 5 years ago, and they weren't brand new even then. (I'll probably sell the old one.) So I'm tying this on my new computer, on a new monitor that's brighter and sharper and I'm sure higher resolution than before. Which is proving to be a real treat looking at guitar pics.

Speaking of which, anyone else taken a look at the Butterscotch t-style that Bob has for sale on his site?

http://logancustomguitars.com/elect...tric-guitar-butterscotch-t-style-sn14683.html

Man, that looks yummy! :D I'd like to see what that Butterscotch looks like next to my Honey Blonde and Butterscotch Blonde.

6. LGOberean

Congrats, Johnny, and welcome. :D So what did you order? T-style? S-style? JM? Bob's Challenger? Bass? What woods, features? Details, man, details! ;)

The "weight" versus the "wait"? Did you order a heavier guitar, or is the waiting process a heavy burden? :eek: :p

Sorry, just had to razz ya about that one. It's an easy mistake to make. Those homophones are both such common words we can type them without thinking. Such typographical errors are common in the English language. I recently read an instance of someone using the adjective* "plain" when the verb "plane" (as in planing wood) was meant.

* EDIT: I guess "plain" can be a noun as well as an adjective, like "the coastal plain," an expression we hear down here in South Texas a lot. But when I read the error, I thought adjective, not noun.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Larry, yes I notice the Butterscotch "bomb shell." Outstanding. Someone is going to get a treasure. Peace, Stephen

8. LGOberean

Just came from checking out Bob's guitars again. Man, that Butterscotch! :D I've already posted the link to that guitar, here's a pic...

[​IMG]

It's got the look, and I'll bet the tone. Bob quoted DiMarzio ad copy about the Area Ts, which boasts a snappy, punchy and singing bridge pup, with warmth and clarity from the neck. I've said it before here, that the DiMarzio Twang Kings are currently my favorite pickups, so I'm betting I'd love the Area Ts as well. I know others here have Area T pups in their Logans, but I don't remember offhand just who does. I'd enjoy hearing from y'all about your impressions and comparisons. Do the Area Ts live up to the hype?

9. LGOberean

This morning I was opening the front door and the curtains in the living room to let the sunshine in (and with that one line, I'm suddenly hearing The 5th Dimension in my head ;) :rolleyes:). As I did so, the light shone in on my Logan Customs that I have hanging in the living room. I have 4 Logans, but just 3 hangers in the living room, so I usually have the same 3 up there: my Firecaster, my "Logo" thinline and my mahogany. (My BSB blackguard, my go-to gigging tele, is usually in its case.)

The sunlight was hitting the ribbon pattern of the wood grains just so on my mahogany, as well as the Birdseye figuring on the fretboard. it was so beautiful I had to stop right then and take a couple of pics with my phone.

I haven't uploaded them yet, but when I do I'll post a pic here. Of course y'all have seen pics of this guitar before, and the picture doesn't do the real thing justice, but it's just one of those things where I've got to share the latest pic of one of my beauties.

10. LGOberean

Sorry, got side-tracked and then just forgot to follow through with posting the new pic. Here it is...

[​IMG]

11. stevevai777

stevevai777 TDPRI Member

I really want this one but I want a Bigsby so I'm probably going to wait until I have the money for a custom guitar built to my specs. Can't wait to own a Logan tele tho!

$_12.JPG

12. LGOberean

That's a guitar that Bob is willing to negotiate on as it is, so maybe he'd be open to putting a Bigsby on it. It's loaded with DiMarzio Twang Kings, and if it were me, I wouldn't change that. I love the TKs in my BSB. Also has the 5-way switch, like my Firecaster, another great feature.

But then again, I totally get the appeal of ordering one to your exact specs.

13. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

It's a tough spot to be in. When I was going to order my first Logan I was going to go full custom but then the Ocean Turqoise Tele (the one on Bob's homepage) caught my eye and I was hooked. I had Bob throw a Bigsby on it and within a week I had that guitar. Turned out great because I saved the custom order for my 2nd Logan:lol:

14. LGOberean

Glad you chimed in, Justin. Given your circumstance, you can really speak to the situation stevevai777 is facing.

15. augustwest

augustwest Tele-Meister

Logan to be -- looking for input on pickup color

Hi all - Bob sent me this photo today of a WIP.

Body Butterscotch blonde on swamp ash.
    Neck Warmoth maple with Macassar ebony fingerboard.

What color pickups do you think I should do???

White, Black, or Cream?

Attached Files:

16. stevevai777

stevevai777 TDPRI Member

yep, I was thinking about going that route too...just seeing how much he would charge to add the Bigsby. Any issues with tuning stability? Thanks for the info voodooblues!

17. voodooblues

Happy to help. I don't have any issues with tuning at all. Changing strings isn't really a big deal either. A Bigsby is a little more maintenance in the sense that if there's an issue with tuning it can come from one of several places. Once you have everything lubed (including the nut) and everything is moving smoothly then it stays in tune just as well as anything.

18. voodooblues

I like the black. It also depends on what color hardware you're putting on there. Black with black hardware would look good, although so would cream pickups and gold hardware.

19. LGOberean

Oh yeah, love me some BSB on swamp ash. :D (I started to use the "Mr. Green" smiley, but I'm not green with envy on this one, I have a BSB on swamp ash. ;)) And oh, man, that striped ebony fretboard! Okay, that merits a Mr. Green! :D I love maple boards, but if I went a different way it would be ebony, not rosewood (unless of course it was an all rosewood tele).

As for the color of the pups, I dunno...I really like that cream P-90, but then black would tie in that ebony board well, too. It's up to you of course.

20. augustwest

augustwest Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input guys. I decided I like the cream the best. Hardware will be chrome. I'm hopeful that we can see some finished photos in the next couple of weeks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.