1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Since the previous post was a reply to a specific question posed almost two weeks ago, I had to go back and track down the question that prompted this reply.

And then, since it involves a written description of the visual appearance of a Logan Custom jazzmaster style guitar, I thought that while I'm at it, I should bring forward one the pics of this guitar to this page in the thread. I guess I'm taking liberties here, hope you don't mind. :oops:

[​IMG]

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Larry,

Thanks that saved me from researching it!

3. Stantel

Stantel NEW MEMBER!

First time Logan owner

Gotta say I like this forum. Its nice seeing the differant ideas and approaches to Logan T-style guitars. The clips have been ejoyable as well. Just wanted to share my story as it came with some bumps and bruises. I will preface this by saying that I found working with Bob Logan to be a good experience overall. To start with, I purchased a Mahagany body (chambered) T style body with North American Ash top - maple neck and fret board, Medium C, with a Fralin Unbucker in the neck, and a Fralin Humbucker in the bridge. The idea was to have coil splitting capability but when the pups were ordered, they came in with two wire conductors. I told Bob not to sweat it and that I would try it as is. While I would like the capability, I have grown quite fond of the pickups as is and have no plans to change them out yet. When I got the guitar, I noticed some issues with the setup. Strings were banging and buzzing and i just could'nt get it tweaked right. Bob spent some time with me going through this but it didnt help. As it turns out I ended up going back to some folks who have worked on my guitars in the past, and we ended up doing a fret job and new setup. Shouldnt have been the case as far as I am concerned, but I liked everything alse about this guitar and wanted it to workout - so I ate it, paid the price and thankfully ended up with something truely wonderful. The guitar looks great, sounds great, and plays wonderfully. I've had it for about four months now and I gotta say it is holding up just fine. Just wondering - anyone else run into something like this? I am actually thinking about getting another Logan and as I budget for it, I am thinking that this may have to be part process (fret leveling). Will post some pics when I get the time.

4. LGOberean

Stantel, we'll look forward to seeing those pics. I'm curious to see what the mahogany body with a maple top looks like.

I'm sorry you had that experience. And since you asked if anyone else ran into something like this, I can only say that in the 5 years since starting this thread, I don't recall ever reading of anything like that.

There have been a few times where people have commented that due to the temperature/climatic differences between Delafield, Wisconsin and their locale, a tweaking of the setup was needed.

But regarding the neck work and setup of Bob's guitars, the consistent witness of owners here testify to just the opposite. Most here praise Bob's fret work and setups. In my case, I have 4 Logan teles of my own and have had my hands on two others (my son's and my son-in-law's). Each one was a joy to play from day one. So from my experience and the experience of most others that have posted here, your situation was not par for the course. Again, sorry you had that experience.

5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Does anyone have a Logan with a tortoise shell binding? If not, could be a cool idea for a custom build. Oh, and I still like the look of the bubinga guitar.

6. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Stantel, I too sprang for a fret level and professional set-up. Took the guitar to another level. Well worth the extra money. Would do it again without hesitation. Regards, Stephen

7. SoCal Logan Fan

SoCal Logan Fan TDPRI Member

2nd order

Less than one month after getting my first Logan, I have placed an order for another one. Bob held my hand through the first order and was very patient taking my phone calls and responding to all my e-mails. This time I made one or two e-mails and we were done. I trust all his recommendations and suggestions. This one will be a T-Style. Here are the specs:

• 21 medium jumbo frets, 9.5 radius, 1-11/16” bone nut, Amber tint, high gloss poly finish, AAAA flame maple neck. (beautiful)
    • Sperzel staggered height locking tuners.
    • Select swamp ash body with body contours in Olympic white. (slight see through) with 100% nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Some grain texture.
    • T.V. Jones classic 4 wire neck, Powertron 4 wire bridge pickups.
    • Wilkinson V 100 2 point floating tremolo
    • 3 way switch with 500K push pull audio pots for coil tapping. Electro socket. switch craft jack.
    • Dark tortious shell pick guard.
    • All Gold appointments.
    • Professional set-up with D’Addario 10-46 strings.
    • SKB-66 hard shell form fitting case with TSA locks

Having a guitar built specifically for you is going to be a hard habit to break!

8. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

SoCal Logan Fan has been bitten by the Logan Bug! We're going to need to get him another custom guitar, STAT!

Glad you're pulling the trigger an another one. Sounds like you're going for the Cabronita style, very nice. I've been leaning towards that for my next Logan. I just tried a Squier in the store the other day and really liked the sound. Hearing about yours just made me a little more antsy to move forward with it!

9. SoCal Logan Fan

SoCal Logan Fan TDPRI Member

There's no turning back. Go for it!

10. jwp333

Speaking of those TV Jones pickups, I was looking at the available guitars on the Logan site this week and wondering to myself how the Gretschocaster is still for sale. It is the most expensive guitar available, but it's innovative and beautiful. Very surprising to me that it hasn't sold yet. Just needs an owner to put it to use.

11. voodooblues

Agree with you on this. Although it's not my personal cup of tea, it is a gorgeous guitar that I'm sure sounds great.

12. LGOberean

Way to go, SoCal! :D You're living up to the "Logan Fan" portion of your username! ;)

Oh, I laughed right out loud when I read the last line of your post. You're preaching to the choir on that one! :lol:

13. RugbyRichJapan

RugbyRichJapan TDPRI Member

One of the things I love about the TV Jones pickups in my Cabronita is the way you can get some many tones depending on how the amp is set up. Haven't played the guitar as much as I would like since getting it but am constantly being surprised how it sounds. The f-hole also means it sounds great acoustically and you can really feel you are playing the thing.

Was surprised to hear someone say his guitar hadn't been set-up well. Mine was perfect despite travelling all the way across the Pacific. Even pondered sending some of my other guitars over for Bob to set up, till I worked out the cost of shipping!!!!!

Oh and one final thing,,,,all the years of chasing an oval pill on a rugby field have meant I have a dodgy shoulder,,,,,,so the lightness of Bob's guitar makes it a joy to carry around and play!!!!

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

It's still for sale because I don't have enough $ to buy it.:p

15. jwp333

Whoa Tele, is that a play on Keith Jackson old "whoa Nelly" call? I do miss Keith Jackson, one of my all time favorite announcers. Seemed to exit the stage gracefully, hopefully he's still doing well, enjoying life.

16. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Yes it is my friend. Now I'll be rumblin,bumblin and stumblin outta here

17. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

Hoppy Easter everybody!!! See what I did there???

18. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Hey Thanks Nehi. Back at ya'.

Hoppy. Clever!

19. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

Bob just emailed me that my guitar is finished... The pics look great... Just need to send him final payment, and start the waiting!!!

20. voodooblues

Good God, Man! You mean to tell us that you have pictures and you're holding out? Oh the humanity!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.