1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Nehi, Thanks for sharing not only the details about the guitar but the story behind your choices. It is wonderful that you are able to memorialize your father with something that you will treasure and enjoy. I'm sure you will think of him every time you pick it up to play.

I can sympathize with you. I lost my father to Alzheimer's just this past December. My mother passed away almost 20 years ago, so my wife and I were his primary care providers for the past 5 years of his struggle. I know what is involved both physically and emotionally. My dad struggled a lot and, in the end, his passing was peaceful and he almost seemed to be relieved that it was finally over. I'm not sure about the restrictions on "religious" postings, so suffice it to say that I am the "son of a preacher man" so he was looking forward to the next phase.

If you feel the need to talk to somebody who shares your experience, please do not hesitate to email or PM me.

Voodoo, you are correct sir. This group is more than just "blah, blah, blah... guitar talk". I really like the positive interaction here and already feel like I've increased my circle of friends - even though I've only been here less that 2 weeks.

This post is getting a little long, so I'll close quickly with this. My Logan is on the local delivery route right now and should be delivered very soon. It's gonna be a short day at the office, for sure!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

NGD! (or is that NLD?)

Whether it's NGD or NLD around here, doesn't really matter. What matters is that my first Logan Custom arrived today!

Before I get into sharing my impressions, let me start by thanking The Man, Bob Logan for a job well done. Not only does he build a quality instrument, he's a great guy as well.

Second, no I have not had a chance to take any pictures yet. But I promise I'll share within the next couple of days. Heck, who's got time for pictures? I want to play with my new toy.

Fit & Finish
    This guitar is at least as well put together as my USA FMIC Strat. The finish is different from what I'm used to but quite attractive. All of my other guitars utilize grain fillers and have a high luster, buffed finish. The finish Bob uses does appear to provide a benefit to the tonality of the instrument. You can actually hear the body resonate. The intonation - to my ear anyway - is bang on. Bob's set up was perfectly to my specifications which made the new guitar feel just like an old friend right away.

Tonality
    With this being my first ever T-style guitar, I am not qualified to compare this to others of the same style. But, I can say this guitar resonates and sustains admirably. Even unplugged, it has a nice acoustic quality about it. Is it the swamp ash? The high-quality fit of the neck pocket? I don't really know, but she sounds wonderful.

Electronics
    All electronics on the guitar function properly. The tone and volume controls work flawlessly and quietly. I have been able to put them thru the paces without any problems, pops or hisses whatsoever. The DiMarzio Twang King pickups do have some cojones! I am able to get that signature twang from the bridge setting, but I can also get this baby to flat out growl. Bean likes! :D

Neck and Frets
    I'm faced with "reviewing" a few new-to-me things here, and one of them is a maple fingerboard. All of my other guitars have either RW or mahogany boards. All I can say is this neck is nice! I adapted very quickly to the feel of this board. Fret slides, bends, and rapid repositioning of chords came easily and effortlessly. It is not "sticky" nor does it restrict my style of play at all. Very nice. I tried out one of my "originals" that uses a lot of chording with open string rings and lot of position changes, and found it easier to pull off than on my FMIC Strat. The Medium C and 9-1/2" radius board fits my hand like a glove. The frets are very nicely dressed, smooth and playable right of the box. They are Medium Jumbo, a little bigger than I am used to, but they make for effortless bends. Again, Bean likes!

Summary
    Wow! I'm blown away. And this was not even a custom build for me. This was a stock guitar available on Bob's site. This guitar exceeds my expectations even after all of the great things I have read in this thread. During the past few months, I have tested countless FMIC Telecasters (CS, USA STD, MIK, MIM) and never found The One. At least not one that I would consider worth the price they were asking, until now.

Bob, keep up the good work! Those of us who desire good quality and can't justify spending the extra $2000, or more, to get it are very appreciative of what you do. And thank you also for the minor changes you made for me. That was very kind of you.

Specs
    22 Medium Jumbo Frets, 9.5" Radius, 1-11/16 TUSQ nut, Medium C Shape, Amber tinted, Nitro finished, Maple Neck and Board
    Gotoh Shaft Lock Chrome Tuners
    Select Swamp Ash Body, Nitro Finished in Fire Orange, No fillers, Some wood grain
    Vintage Ashtray Bridge with Compensated Brass saddles
    Twang King pickup set
    3-way switch, 250K audio pots, Master volume/tone, Switchcraft jack
    Chrome appointments
    Vintage Cream colored 3-ply pick guard
    Professional (and I mean "professional") set up with D'Addario 10-46 strings
    Weight 7 lbs., 6 ozs.
    Cost: "Priceless"

BTW - Did I mention that I like this guitar! :D

If I missed anything, let me know...

3. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Welcome

Welcome to the family!

4. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Great review Bean. Glad you are loving it. I wasn't really sure how much I was going to like the nitro finish on mine either, but once I got the guitar in my hands I absolutely love the finish. Congratulations!!!!!!

RonS

5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Congratulations Bean. I'm the guy who in the earlier post discussed 4 of the available guitars that might suit you. Glad that you are happy with the one you picked. And I'm also happy for Bob who I know must be beaming over the review.

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Hey. Thanks guys.

Just checked back in. Been in the studio pickin' and grinnin'. I found that sound I've been looking for.
    Now I can say it.
    You ain't got a thang if you ain't got that twang.
    Yes. You can quote me on that.

7. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I had no experience with nitro finishes before getting my Logan. Not only do I like the finish, I've gotten several compliments from people who like that the grain of the wood comes through. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like in 20 years.

Bean-
    Congrats on receiving your guitar. I've had mine for a year and a half and the honeymoon phase still hasn't worn off.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Okay, let's see if I can do this...

There should be some pictures below if I'm successful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Look at that action! A stable-mate in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] That's not discoloration on the back. It's a shadow from the case lid.

It's really amazing that (1) I got these pictures in here on my first attempt, and (2) that the color appears so different in the different lighting conditions.

If you need (want) a point of reference, I swear that the color is a perfect match for Home Depot orange. But then again, I'm color blind. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  9. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

Nitro finish- certainly my first guitar with nitro. I like it but I also like my other finishes too. What used to be straight gray is starting to yellow just a touch. While not a relic, I think it will certainly continue to develop an old guitar look. It fits the vibe of the grain showing. Some of the old silverburst guitars have a very unique thing going on with that yellowing and fading.

I'm not a believer in it being any sort of factor in the sound. My high end polyester finished guitars resonate and sound just fine. To me it's more of fitting the vibe of the total package. Like a 32 ford with a carbureated flathead. Analog is analog, digital is digital. They both have their place.

10. SoCal Logan Fan

SoCal Logan Fan TDPRI Member

My first Logan

I just received my first Logan guitar yesterday. It looks and sounds better than I ever could have imagined. I was looking for a semi-hollow body electric with a solid top when I ran across a couple of Logan guitar pictures and reveiws.
    I called the number on the web-site and Bob answered the phone. He listened to my thoughts about what I already owned (gibson, strat, rickenbacker, PRS, Martin, Guild, Washburn etc.) and I was looking for in a new guitar. He ended up building me a chambered body, bubinga-topped jazzmaster style guitar with the most gorgeous birds-eye maple neck and fingerboard I have ever seen. The wood is so nice, I went with no pick-guard or back plates for the knobs because I wanted as much of the top to show as possible. I am already thinking about my next Logan and will be discussing it with Bob in the near future.
    This was the easiest, smoothest guitar buying experience I have ever had.

Attached Files:

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Hey SoCal, congratulations. That's beautiful.

Welcome to the club. Like you, I just recently received my first Logan Custom and I am already working on my build spec's for another.

You know, of course, that more pictures and specifications are a requirement!

BTW - that's a nice variety of guitars you have there. But, I think you might need to add a Tele-style to round it out.

12. SoCal Logan Fan

A T-style is exactly what I will be talking to Bob about. I would like a beveled back if possible.

Attached Files:

13. SoCal Logan Fan

Those are Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. Push-pull knobs for both pick-ups, medium jumbo frets, alder back, Fender deluxe staggered locking machine heads (no fret trees required with the stagger).

14. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club SoCal!!!! That guitar is beautiful. That was a great idea to let as much of the wood show as possible.

RonS

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Yessir. I like the tummy cut myself. Feels more comfortable to me. Funny though. My LP isn't contoured and neither is my jumbo acoustic and that never bothered me. Hmmmm... [mind wandering]

One thing I noticed about my Logan that still makes me smile like the Cheshire cat is the acoustic resonance. Unplugged, if I pluck a string I can hear it resonate for a long, long time. Mine's swamp ash so maybe that's part of it. Anybody experience this with another solid body material?

16. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

SoCal, that is a very sweet and custom looking guitar. Is that tortoiseshell binding on the front? Or is it the bubinga?

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, I didn't realize that a week's gone by since I've logged in and posted. And now it feels like I've got a lot of catching up to do.

SoCal, congrats, and welcome. Beautiful guitar. The first electric guitar I ever got to play (back in the '60s, it was my dad's) was a Harmony Silhouette, with that Jazzmaster body shape, "moustache" DeArmond pickups and a Hagstrom vibrato and bridge. So the look of yours appeals to me in body shape alone. Love the woods. I wish I could get a better look at the Birdseye maple neck you mentioned. I know from two of my own that pics of Birdseye necks don't always do it justice.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Bean, I've got a theory about that.

Well, for starters, I think that Swamp Ash might have something to do with it. My BSB blackguard has a Swamp Ash body, and it is wonderfully resonant, perhaps more so than any of my other Logans. Often times I'll sit on the couch watching The Marty Stuart Show with my BSB in hand. Or for late night sessions I'll choose the BSB, because it's loud enough unplugged. She just rings.

But then again, all of my Logans are pleasantly resonant. Two are solidbodies (the BSB and my mahogany) and two are chambered/thinline. I think because of the size of Bob's operation, he has the luxury of choosing really resonant wood for the bodies. With mass production, I figure resonance is the luck of the draw. You're gonna get some dull wood, and you can't always weed it out on an automated assembly line. But with a small operation/custom jobs, the builder can consistently get resonant wood. That's my theory, anyway.

19. Beancounter

Beancounter TDPRI Member

Larry,

Thanks for sharing your observations and thoughts on this. No doubt, Bob builds a fine instrument! I will probably never figure out exactly what contributes to the outstanding sustain on my guitar - unless Bob chimes in with some thoughts. What I DO know for certain is that I like it.

20. FrequencyHog

FrequencyHog TDPRI Member

Hi all, just received my Logan last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    Body: Swamp Ash
    Color: Weathered gray
    Pickups: Lindy Fralin Standard
    Switching: 3-way
    Neck: Medium C, birdseye maple
    Tuners: Vintage locking
    Weight: 7 lbs., 3 oz.

Review and sound clips to follow...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.