1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Great thanks for those pictures! They came at a good time because I just rediscovered how great my Logan tele is! I changed the pickups again, this time I put in a set of Rumpelstiltskin white rope pickups. Woah buddy I think I've found the perfect match for this guitar. I thought the fralins would be great because they were my favorite pickups but for some reason in this guitar they didn't have the same magic as they did when I had them last. These are great vintage spec 60s style pickups that I would strongly recommend It's good to actually see the man who built my guitar especially now that iv fallen in love with it all over again haha. I didn't know he was so hip and happening!

Glad I listened to you guys and bought this one, it's the best guitar iv ever owned for sure

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Something new is up with Bob's Logan Custom Teles.

Maybe. :confused:

Bob sent me a few pics on Monday, and a brief email message to go along with them.

If any of you have had email exchanges with Bob, you know that I'm not exaggerating when I say it was a "brief" email message. Bob's a man of few words, when it comes to emails, anyway. So with the new pics he sent Monday morning, Bob asked simply, "Thoughts?" :D

It took me a little more than 24 hours to see the email and reply to it. I asked for some details. And anyone who has read my posts here knows that I am not a man of few words when it comes to writing. Whereas Bob writes a single word question, I write a reply the length of a magazine article. :oops:

Anyway, I guess Bob's week got busy by the time I got around to responding, so I haven't heard back from him yet. So I don't know yet if Bob was just experimenting with something new and has already dropped the idea, or if this is something new to report. Consequently, for now I'll say no more, and just leave this cryptic post as is.

And as I look back over this post, I see that I could have written simply "Something new may be up with Bob's Logan Custom Teles. More to come..." Instead, I have proven my earlier point concerning my proclivity for verbosity. :oops:

3. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm intrigued.

4. LGOberean

Bob will be using his own headstock design on future builds. His design for S-style guitars and basses is similar to his design for T-style guitars. Here is a link to pics of guitars with the new design headstock.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5dd8...4024E42688A!1925&v=3&authkey=!AMAhFgvWbjJTobY

If you want more details about this, PM me. Or of course you can go straight to the source and talk to Bob.

Oh, and about this image?

[​IMG]

Bob had given me the backstory to the pic before, but reminded me this morning. He was singing (old time rock & roll tunes) with his brother's band when they came to Wisconsin for one of Bob's summer parties. Over 100 attended the party. The lead guitar player is a Nashville studio musician, and the headstock and neck showing in the photo is that of an original 1953 butterscotch blonde Tele. I'd love to own or at least get my hands on a '53 like that, one as old as me. ;)

5. lskit

lskit TDPRI Member

Of course it's just my opinion, but I'm glad I bought before the change. I'm not a fan of the dimple on the end. Maybe Bob can let us know if he would use a Fender licensed neck if desired.

6. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Sexy, I like it.

7. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I kind of like it. I like the telecaster one a little better because it's smaller. Not trying to be a smart aleck or downgrade it, but something about it reminds me of the profile of a labrador retriever's nose. Maybe I'm nuts. Still, I think it's kind of cool and it wouldn't make me any less likely to buy a Logan.

And I guess it does mean no more Fender licensed necks. I've seen the Ron Kirn pictorial on building a guitar, so I know USACG has necks with a blank shape in the headstock that he modifies. Does Warmoth offer the same thing? Isn't Warmoth where most Logan necks come from?

8. LGOberean

Hmmm... now that you say it, I see it too. Bob's new headstock...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...a lab's snout...

[​IMG]

I chose a pic of a yellow lab because we are talking talking about a maple headstock, after all. A yellow lab seemed more appropriate somehow. ;)

And hey, labs are my favorite breed of dogs. Any resemblance between the two is a positive thing, if you ask me. :D

9. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I like it, it's way better than those suhr headstocks. I'm kind of thinking I need a Logan strat now. I think it's important for a builder to have his own headstock design, it's kind of like the makers mark of a guitar. Good for Bob

I think I would want that tele headstock on my strat though it looks better than the strat one. Who says a strat headstock has to be bigger?

10. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I wasn't sure about the new headstock design at first but as I thought about it more last night I like it. I agree with Buffalo, it's good for a builder to have a custom headstock design. Also, I think it's very tastefully done. Looks like my next Logan will have a different headstock design....

11. lskit

lskit TDPRI Member

I agree that it is good far a builder to have his own headstock design. I just don't really like the dimple at the end. Still, it's probably not enough to keep me from buying another Logan.

12. LGOberean

Ellis, I respect your opinion, and I appreciate the way you have addressed it here.

I actually like the new headstock design, and as per jwp333's observation, I now refer to it as the "Lab nose" headstock! :lol:

Do I like it better than the traditional headstock? No, I wouldn't say that, but this new design gives me no pause whatsoever, and in fact I think it would be cool to own the very first Logan Tele with that headstock. Of course, that Forest Green beaut above is an Esquire style, and it has a rosewood board (I prefer maple).

Who knows? I might grow to like the "Lab nose" headstock better. There was a time years ago that I was seriously planning to get a Strat as my main electric; I hadn't played a Tele yet. And at the time, the headstock of a Strat looked okay to me, and a Tele headstock looked like too much had been trimmed off the blank. Now a Tele headstock looks normal to me and a Strat headstock looks like a Tele headstock on steroids! :lol:

13. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

My wife and I had our first son this year his name is Logan.
    We found out she had breast cancer around the ninth month of the pregnancy.
    They took my son early via Cesarean section.
    He's a healthy seven months now.
    My wife after many chemo treatments is happily cancer free.
    She's still doing radiation and Herceptin treatments but life is heading in the right direction for a change. It's been an intense eight months.
    Being our first kid and dealing with cancer was let's just say intense at times.
    When Logan turns a year I'd like to have guitars built for both of them.
    We live near Chicago.
    I'd like to visit the shop, pick colors and options.
    Is that something Bob allows or is it order online only?
    Thought I'd start here before inquiring further.
    Love this thread and have been lurking a while.
    His guitars are so cool.
    My boy...:)

[​IMG]

14. LGOberean

I mean no offense to Bob's handiwork in the statement I'm about to make, but that's the best looking "Logan" I've ever seen! ;) :D He's as cute as all get out! :D

You said "our first son" and "our first kid." So you are optimistic and planning for more children. Good for you! :D

Your story certainly tugs at the heart strings. Sorry to hear about all that y'all have been through, particularly your wife, but your courage and commitment are truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us. And you are most welcome to post in this thread anytime.

As for Bob letting you order by coming by the shop, I'm sure that's no problem. I don't have time to look through this (long) thread to find examples of people going by his shop, but others have done it, at the very least to pick up their finished guitars, but I think also to order. I guess I'm speaking for Bob here, but unless something intense is going on in his life right now that I don't know about, I don't think I'm speaking out of turn. Of course, you should call or write him to ask/arrange this, but Bob's easy to get along with.

I'm jealous about the prospect of your meeting Bob face to face and seeing his shop firsthand. I live like 1,400 miles away from Delafield, Wisconsin, so going to meet him has not been has not been an option for me...yet. One day, hopefully... :D

15. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

Thanks Larry appreciate that!
    For us it's one and done.
    He's a great kid but because of the chemo they said it's unlikely she could conceive again. We've talked maybe adoption down the road a piece.
    For now we're content with one. :D
    They are a heck of a lot of work.
    Cool I'll contact him and see how she goes.
    We get up the Wisconsin way quite a bit.
    We Have some property further north of him.

16. LGOberean

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

17. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

:)
    Same to you!

18. lskit

lskit TDPRI Member

I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, Larry. We are back in Texas after a long drive from Nebraska yesterday. Now I just have to get back to Corpus from Killeen today. I'm off to fortify myself with breakfast for the home stretch!

19. LGOberean

I did, Ellis, thanks. Not all of our kids/grandkids came to our house for Thanksgiving, but two thirds of them did. We had 16 people at the table (including 10 of our 15 grandchildren). I tried to take a picture with my camera, but I'm lousy at taking pics, so I cut off some family members! :oops: Probably won't be posting that pic anywhere.

One pic I will share though is a scan of a drawing by my granddaughter Elizebeth (family spelling). I was sitting in the rocking chair Beth and I bought when we found out she was pregnant with our firstborn, our daughter Kassy, Elizebeth's mother. I've posted a pic of Elizebeth before, when she was 10 years old with my mahogany Logan Tele slung over her shoulders...

[​IMG]

Elizebeth is 15 now, and has a wonderful talent for drawing. At family gatherings, she almost always sits to the side with her sketch book and draws. I was playing my old Hohner G-940, and she sketched me...

[​IMG]

I had my hair tied back, was wearing a blue plaid flannel shirt, with the typical blue jeans and roper boots. I had Beth take a pic of me posed the way I was that afternoon, but I'm not only lousy at taking pics, I'm also easily befuddled at trying to save them to my hard drive from my wife's email! :oops: Maybe I'll get that one up later, with Beth's help.

20. lskit

lskit TDPRI Member

15 Grandkids! That's awesome, and Elizebeth's pcture should be your new avatar. That's a great gift from your Grandchild. The way she included the laugh lines around your eyes and the detail of your wedding ring, you can tell that she thinks you're special.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.