1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Larry,

Thank you! Of course I didn't intend to put Bob on the spot by any stretch.

Your input is reassuring.

Between the two bridge plates, Can I ask you from a personal perspective, if you prefer the Wilkinson tray bridge plates or the Logan SS flat bridge plates? I like the vintage look of a tray but you could also call Bob's plate close enough with a hot rodded appeal.

I'm mulling over choosing the raw stainless steel option with the Gotoh Pewter locking tuners but that would be a first for me because right now I have one Tele with a Callaham Nickel plated magnetic steel bridge with his enhanced compensated brass saddles and the other has a full tray, nickel plated magnetic steel plate with Callaham enhanced compensated saddles so I don't need "pure" vintage but I like a vintage appeal with modern enhancements to a modern Tele.

I'm a big boy and will make my own choices but it helps to hear other's opinions.

Do you have a preference over the tuners Bob offers?

I had Bob spec my Tele with Keystones but I'm reconsidering that because I have a really nice FSR MIM Natural Ash already that has a Keystone Deluxe set in her and I LOVE (I consider them the epitome of a Tele pickup) them but the Tele I am asking Bob for will be very similar in materials and I already have a CVC with Klein Epic Series Nocasters so I might change the Logan specs out to Klein 52's . . . to justify a similar guitar, albeit from a custom builder this time.

Any feedback you and others might have on what you've learned and like is helpful for my decision making.

Your Firecaster is BEAUTIFUL . . .

Rick

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, Rick, thanks. Yeah, I love the beauty of my Firecaster. It's the honest, "well worn" beauty of good old wood that was construction grade back in the day, so it's got blemishes and stress marks that testify to what it is. That blistered looking spot on the lower bout/bass side Bob said was a buildup of sap, and I guess the fire blistered it some. The Long Leaf Pine top was from outer siding or inner wall shiplap construction. Since it's natural look/wood grains were hidden by paint on the outside or by wallpaper on the inside, the builders weren't particular about appearance. So it looks like planks that have been hammered on and singed a bit. Again, that "well worn" look to me just helps tell the story; I love it.

As far as the bridges on my 4 Logan Teles go, it's a tough call for me, but I'm inclined to say I favor Bob's stainless steel bridge plates. I have no experience with Callaham bridges, so I can't compare to that. I'll just speak to what I know based on my 4 Logans.

My first Logan Tele, a solidbody mahogany, has a gold Wilkinson ashtray bridge. Of course you know what the ashtray bridge looks like, but here she is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's another pic of my "Logo" Thinline with a good view of the Wilkinson ashtray bridge.

[​IMG]

My first Logan Tele to have Bob's own SS bridge was my Butterscotch Blonde Blackguard. It also has the very distinctive straight alignment bridge pickup design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the Firecaster has Bob's SS bridge plate, but with the traditional slanted pickup design.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I've gotta say that I favor the SS bridge plates, but only slightly. If there are any substantial tonal differences between the ashtray and the SS, I don't hear it. I like traditional when it comes to Teles, and so the 3 brass saddle, vintage style ashtray bridge is a very appealing look to me. I have no complaints about playing with an ashtray bridge, but it's really the look for me. But as you said, the SS bridge plates are close (especially with the 3 brass saddles).

Well, when I got my BSB with the SS bridge plate, I wondered if I'd miss the ashtray. I adapted right away, though, and now I really like it, easier to play back towards the saddles.

As for tuners, from a functionality standpoint, I don't have any complaints about the Wilkinsons. My BSB has the vintage Kluson style 6 on a plate tuners with the split shaft posts. Again, from the standpoint of look, I favor these. Also from the ease of restringing factor, I like these. The Gotoh style locking tuners may be a bit more efficient, but again, no complaints.

Well, my Firecaster has the Keystones, and my BSB has the DiMarzio Twang Kings. My first two (the mahogany and the "Logo" Thinline) both have Wilkinson pups, although the neck pups are different (mahogany, P-90, "Logo," lipstick). They're good, but the Keystones are better, and IMHO the Twang Kings are best (or should I say, my favorites). I've heard good things about those Kleins, but except for YouTube videos, I've never heard them. If you're looking for different pickups than what you have now, I'd suggest the Twang Kings. I play everything from old jazz standards to classic Country to classic Rock to blues with those pups. I love 'em.

3. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Thanks, Larry. I'll look into the Twang Kings. I hear about them all the time.

Does Bob have the Wilkinson ash tray bridge plate that DOESN'T have the top loader holes? Or do those even exist? That is the one minor pet peeve I have about the Wilkinson vintage bridge plates. I would prefer not to have top loader holes when my guitar is going through body.

That is why I installed this bridge plate on my FSR MIM when I replaced the 6 saddle OEM bridge, no top loader holes! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telecaster-...543?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e798dd6a7

It's a very nice magnetic steel, nickel plated plate for $25. .075" thick, same thickness and a Callaham. I did replace those round brass saddles with Callahams though but all in all, I got a SUPER nice bridge setup for $$65 plus shipping that has Callaham brass enhanced compensated saddles. I couldn't hear an change in the swap because I also replaced the Tex-Mex pups with the Keystones but I noticed a very pronounced increase is resonance and vibration through the body when I swapped out the 6 saddles for this vintage setup. I knew it instantly when I started tuning her up after I installed the pickups and bridge assembly. I could feel the guitar vibrate way more when I strummed it unplugged.

If I choose a tray plate over the Logan, I could probably talk Bob into letting me send one of these to him to install.

4. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Rick, have enjoyed your agonizing over a Logan build. Been there! Can't answer if the Wilkinson doesn't have Top Loader holes. I went with the Wilkinson Bridge plate. It is hefty and great quality at an economical price. I did however, have Bob grind down the lip on the pick guard side, down to the top of the pick up(there is a picture in this forum showing the workmanship). I'm a low strummer and did want that to interfere. Also, the single best upgrade I went with in the bridge area are the Joe Barden Vintage Saddles. They are worth every penny and more. The sound you get from them is remarkable. I went with Klien Epic '52's. They are outstanding. I also had Bob install his 5 way switch. 1-2-3 standard tele, 4- neck and Bridge 1/2 out of phase, 5- neck 1/2 power Bridge full power. Two words; Love It! Set up from Mr. Logan is second to none. I just love playing this guitar. I believe necks are from MightyMite (Bob, visits their warehouse and hand selects the necks). Bodies are Bobs. Welcome and Warm Regards, Stephen

5. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Stephen,

Thanks for the genuine empathy :)

As you all might understand, this is not about Bob the builder or the man. All I read and hear is the best accounts on both accounts!

What's a little different here is not exactly finding a compromise for the lowest cost. It's more about feeling comfortable about paying less than what my budget is and still getting a killer guitar .... And I'm not interested in a "jewel" Tele from the literal sense either. I want a player's guitar that's well made, fitted right, sounds killer and yes, plug your nose, plays like butter. Sorry Paula Deen :D

Between you and Larry I'm feeling extremely comfortable so far. And bob is quick to answer all my question.

And frankly, the hardest part right now is not choosing Logan. It's committing to my specs since I can have any hardware and electronics I choose. The tangible stuff but a large menu.

Choosing Logan now appears to be the easy part!

I'm now considering something goofy like a knotty pine top veneer over swamp ash. The barn look with swamp ash attack! Ga!

Help!

6. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

Guitar Diversity

While that's humorous at first glance, actually upon further consideration, something along those lines is very appealing. Why have a custom guitar built that is very similar to one that is very common off-the-shelf, or especially, that you already own? I enjoy rotating through my guitars with each one at least a little different from the next one. Even with a couple of guitars I bought over the past year, differing only in finish and weight, I at least strung one with 10s and the other with 11s to make them stand out a little more from one another.

7. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Thank you for the affirmation . It might work ...

8. dink

dink TDPRI Member

I 2nd the twang kings. There own my favorite Logan.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  9. LGOberean

Stephen, I backtracked through the thread and found the image you posted of the notched ashtray bridge...

[​IMG]

Totally agree. Even with all four of mine set up for 10s with a medium C profile neck and 9.5 radius, each one has a different, distinctive look, and more than that, have different pickups and/or switching. Custom is the way for me now. I just can't see having an off the rack Tele. I want at least one more, and it's gonna have to be a Logan Custom.

Rick, I remember getting to that place. I stumbled onto Bob's work while surfing eBay, and then went to his website. At first I was tentative about pulling the trigger on a special ordered custom, but it didn't take long for me to get to the place where not choosing a Logan was a harder option than off the rack offerings from Fender. Of course, 5 years and 4 Logan Custom Teles later, no regrets.

Personal note: I'll be out of reach for the weekend. My niece is getting married up in Dallas, so I'm driving up to attend the wedding. I will stay with my Mom on our family farm, and we'll all drive in to Dallas together for the wedding. My 81 year old mother is even more technologically challenged than I am. She doesn't have a computer. I'll take my Netbook with me on the trip, but we don't get good reception on our farm, for cell phone or computer. So I'll just take a break from TDPRI and see ya when I get back.

10. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

I'm back down to 1 Logan. I traded the '72 Custom P-90s for a Fender Road Worn Player.

I thought a lot about if I should make this post. This is not a reflection in any way on Bob or the instruments that he produces. One of the odd things about buying a custom guitar is that you make a commitment without ever touching it. I knew within an hour of receiving the '72 that I would never love it. I tried, but it was not to be.

I traded it to a pro player who made it sound incredible when he was trying it out, so it went to a good home.

I'm sure the future holds another Logan for me, maybe something like Larry's with the P-90 neck or a thinline.

Here's the new victim. I un-reversed the reverse control plate right away. I'm not a big fan of the artificial relic finishes, but this is way more subtle than the '50s model. Really pleased with the play and sound. The middle switch position is awesome.
    [​IMG]

11. LGOberean

Hey, guys, I'm back. My niece's wedding was a success, and a lot of our family was together again.

My trip had a down side to it; my aunt (my Mom's twin sister) collapsed Sunday afternoon and had to be taken to the hospital. (She's 81 and has a pacemaker.) Last I knew, they hadn't determined the cause of her collapse. After visiting with her in the hospital yesterday, I got on the road for home. Got home around 9pm, and called my Mom today to see if there were any updates (no answer, left message).

12. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Welcome back Larry!! Sorry to hear about your Aunt. Hope everything turns out to be OK.

RonS

13. LGOberean

Thanks, Ron. I didn't hear back from my Mom today, so I'll try again tomorrow. When I left, my aunt was listed in stable condition, they just hadn't determined what caused the collapse.

It was scary there for a bit. My Mom and sister were in the kitchen, my aunt was standing on the kitchen side of the counter that separates the dining room/kitchen from the living room. My younger brother, also a guitar player, wanted to play a little before lunch, because I was planning on leaving right after the meal. My aunt is a real music lover, and was listening and singing along with us.

I didn't see it happen, but my brother had a direct line of sight to her. One minute she was standing there, singing along, her color good. The next she went down with a thud. She hit her head, either on the floor or on the door jam of the pantry, we're not sure which. My brother called 9-1-1, and the EMT's were there real quick. They transported her to the hospital, and after a few hours in the ER, they admitted her to a room. Now they just need to figure out what's up and how to fix it.

As I got up to leave after our visit in the hospital yesterday, I leaned over her bed and said "Aunt Freda, the next time you want Buddy and I to stop playing and singing, just say so!" ;) It did my heart good to see her smile and hear her laugh at that.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a blues song that said in part...

The road of life brings joy and pain
    Sometimes it's sunshine, others rain
    Sometimes you lose, sometimes you gain
    The road of life brings joy and pain

My own words come back to me as I reflect back on this weekend. I go up for the joyous occasion of my niece's wedding and a day later my 81 year old aunt collapses from some as yet unknown cause.

My aunt's a poet, BTW. She's been writing for seven decades. A couple of years ago, she composed a poem about guitarists dedicated to 3 of her nephews that play and sing (myself, my brother and a cousin).

I'll stop rambling now. Thanks again, Ron, for your well wishes.

14. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Larry

I had an Auntie Freda - thanks for the reminder and ensuing nice memories.

81 ain't so old, you're both in my thoughts and on my wishes list.

Best, TM

15. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear about your Aunt, Larry. Good thoughts and prayers to her!

16. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

hope your aunt gets well soon Larry....interesting thing both you and Chris have aunts named Freda...my late mother name was Freda

17. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Long lost Cousin Sanford ...... is it really you?!

18. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

yup it is me...feast your eyes on me..it's too good to be true but it's me...it's me...the one the only...the great one...it's me...Cousin Sanford

19. LGOberean

:lol: We can always count on Chris and Sanford picking on one another, always good for a laugh! :lol:

Thanks, all, for your well wishes and concern. I called my Mom and left a message, but haven't heard back from her yet. Even though it's late, I've sent a text to my sister, who lives in a nearby town. I'm trying to work on the assumption that no news is good news, but I do wanna know, ya know?

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Best wishes to your aunt, Larry. She sounds like a great woman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.