1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Thank you, Bob. I'll look into this, too.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Bob sent me some pics of his latest Tele project. Here it is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

Bob's latest completed creation is his Telecaster shaped weather-vane. Or as I like to call it, the Logan Custom Tele-vane. ;) Here are a couple of more pics of her in action...

[​IMG]

Yup, the new Tele-vane in place atop Bob's garage/shop roof. Here's a close-up of that...

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy the pics. If nothing else, these pics give you a glimpse into the place where Bob builds the custom guitars and basses we love so much. As Bob says, it's a heated/air conditioned 1,200 sq. ft. work space that's conveniently close. Or in Bob's words, "I actually have to walk 25 feet to work every day. Wow, exhausting..." :lol:

3. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

That weather vane is cool, although someone needs to tell Bob it's backwards! With the weather we get in the midwest, that thing will be reliced in no time...

4. LGOberean

:lol: Yeah, I noticed that lefty orientation, too. But then again, I am a lefty, so I would notice that. (I play righty guitars, BTW. Back when I learned to play, I had no idea there was such a thing as a left-handed guitar. I just figured it was a right-handed world, so...:p)

5. voodooblues

That's interesting. How did it feel when you started playing guitar? I think anyone can get accustomed to it with enough practice. Also, options for guitars for lefties are severely limited, with the same guitars often costing more just because of the left-handedness. I had a teacher once speak out about left-handed guitars, going the whole "they don't make left handed pianos, or saxophones...." route. I see what he's saying, and I kind of agree, but I'm not a full on lefty.*

*I do somethings left-handed, such as golf and hockey and batting in baseball/softball, but everything else right-handed.

6. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

You are right about the left handed version, But when the wind blows it around, It will be a right handed version. Just to show, I like lefties too. It is however a Televane ;) BL.

7. Aussie John

Aussie John TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

I really apreciate everyones advice and especially Bob's suggestion to fix my telecaster issues - I will get someone who knows about wiring to have a go at this. The strange thing is that I only get the buzzing if I touch the actual neck pickup cover and screws in the last two positions but not on all 5. Hopefully it will eradicate the popping/cracking noise when I tap the scratch pcikguard. I will post the outcome.

In the meantime I was just playing this tele and its sounds so good. This will no doubt be a minor issue and I wouldn't want anyone to be put off from getting a guitar made by Bob. His service and workmanship is fantastic and its a bonus that he is prepared to look after us lefties. Everyone at my church who has seen and heard the guitar is impressed and I hope some will eventually look at placing orders with Bob.

My only sadness is that the drastic slide in the Aussie dollar means I probably won't be able to get my dream lefty thinline with TV Jones pickups for under our customs limit for a while. At least my marriage won't be under pressure though I am looking into another amp as a head for my marshall cab. By the way if you want the most incredible delay / tape echo sound do yourself a huge favour and check out the Strymon El Capstan. Truly AMAZING.

Regards from downunder

8. LGOberean

Justin, I don't recall feeling anything about it. Like I said, I just remember thinking at the time that it is a right-handed world. Early on my parents tried to change me, and I showed them then and there the foretaste of the pig-headed stubbornness that was to come from their second son. :oops:;) School desks, spiral bound writing pads, everything was oriented to right-handedness.

Plus, my dad played guitar, so I grew up with guitars around the house. Consequently, I just got used to seeing guitar being played right-handed. I made a halfhearted attempt to take up the guitar around 10 years old, but my immaturity/hyperactivity/ADD didn't let me stick with it.

I tried again in earnest around 1967, and that time it stuck. I practiced about 4 hours every day that summer, on my dad's Harmony Archtone archtop guitar. I didn't know there was such a thing as a left-handed guitar (they were probably very rare in those days), and I had already wrapped my mind around the idea of playing right-handed, so it didn't even occur to me to try flipping the guitar over or re-stringing it. I just started bashing away righty style.

And I didn't know anything about action back then, or availability of light gauge strings, so I played that jazz box with a mile high action on Black Diamond heavy gauge strings! :mad: :lol:

As for the sports thing, I had no opportunities to play hockey growing up in South Texas, or on our farm, or in Puerto Rico. And I had no interest (still don't) in golf. But as for baseball, I mixed it up. I'd catch with my right and throw with my left, but when I stepped up to the plate, I could switch hit.

9. voodooblues

Kind of what I figured, the old "I played that way because I didn't know any better!" I sometimes think that left-handed guitars are just a ploy for guitar companies to make more money. The options are limited, and they charge $100-$200 more for the same guitar.

That's interesting that your parents tried to change your left-handedness. I wonder what their motivation was, and I also wonder how many other lefties that happened to at a young age.

When I was very young (like, less than 7) I picked up a wiffle ball bat and just started hitting left handed. My Dad said "You seemed to be comfortable doing it that way, so I just left it." I'm glad my parents didn't try to change me; I like the uniqueness that comes from doing certain things right handed and other things left handed.

Oddly enough though, I write like I'm left handed, only with my right hand. My right hand is positioned the way someone left handed writes, and I end up writing certain characters completely different than a full on right handed person.

10. LGOberean

Well, this is an interesting subject, to me in particular, I guess.

As for my parents' motivation in trying to change me, I've always figured that it was just the prevailing attitude of the time (I was born almost 60 years ago), and the culture of the day.

And to me, this kind of answers your question about how many others this happened to. I've spoken with a number of lefties over the years, my age and older, and they have similar, often worse, stories of efforts to change their hand orientation.

Also for me, Hispanic culture figures into it, I think. There were/are a variety of superstitions in various Hispanic cultures about lefties, and I was born in a small town in Texas that was predominantly Hispanic. And from preschool to 5th grade, I lived in Puerto Rico. I'm not saying my folks bought into the superstitions, but they were raising me in such environments.

And the efforts to change me over weren't prolonged and concerted ones, and it was more my dad than my mom. Before conscious memory, they told stories of me in my high chair taking the spoon in my left hand. Mom would take it out of my left and put it in my right, and according to her I would promptly switch it back to my left. My dad was adamant about me shaking hands with people using my right hand. He drilled it into me, and made me practice it with him. (And actually, I'm grateful for this.)

Once it was clear that I wasn't going to change, they showed support. My dad bought me a left-handed (technically, a "left hand throw") baseball glove. And he was willing to re-string his guitar and give it to me when I showed interest in playing. But since I had already picked it up and practiced for weeks right-handed, it wasn't necessary.

My mom worked tirelessly with me on my penmanship (back when such a thing was still taught :rolleyes:), not to change the hand I write with, but to change the angle at which I held my hand, and to work on accuracy and legibility. As a result, to this day I get compliments on my penmanship, sometimes with the accompanying qualification "especially for a lefty." :eek: What you would call a "left-handed compliment," I guess. :mad: ;)

11. LGOberean

Oh, and as far as charging extra for left-handed guitars, most often, Bob doesn't. When he does, it's only because his suppliers charge extra for left-handed bridges and pickguards. Otherwise, if you stick with what Bob carries, there's no difference in price. His labor remains the same.

12. voodooblues

That's cool that he does that. It wouldn't shock me if a lot of companies or individuals did that, I just remember seeing in the Musician's Friend catalog that a left-handed American Strat or Les Paul Standard usually ran about $100-$200 more.

That's interesting about your experiences talking with other left-handed folks and how their parents tried to change that when they were young. Because of my "unique" (read: horrible) way of writing, my mom tried to correct it when I was younger, just to make my writing neater. I think that lasted about 20 minutes...

13. LGOberean

As for my mom's tutoring of me on my penmanship, she just wouldn't let me quit. And she didn't give up on me. She was born in the Depression era (1932), the youngest of 5 girls (she and her twin sister being the babies). From that she learned an absolute devotion to family, and a work ethic that just won't quit. And she's still that way at 81 years young.

14. LGOberean

Hey Aussie John, I hope the issues are getting sorted out.

About that Strymon El Capstan tape echo pedal, I'm not a pedal guy, but the demos I've watched at your prompted sure sound good. Seems quite versatile.

15. mdk2323

mdk2323 TDPRI Member

I recently purchased a Logan Tele and am anxiously awaiting it's delivery. I have some photos that Bob sent me, and it looks like it turned out great! My goal was to create a Gretsch Duo Jet/Telecaster Cabronita hybrid. Here's what we came up with........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features include, a chambered mahogany body, flamed maple veneer top in Irish Green, TV Jones Classic neck, and Powertron bridge pickups, birdseye maple neck, and Sperzel locking tuners.

It just looks killer, can't wait!

16. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

Very sweet looking guitar, mdk! Great choices!

17. voodooblues

Gorgeous guitar MDK. Please post a review when you get a chance.

18. Aussie John

Aussie John TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

I am pleased to report that after performing surgery last night on my Lefty Blackguard Dr Bob's treatment worked to solve the buzzing issue on 2 of the five selector positions.

We removed the neck pickup and unsoldered the short connecting wire grounding the pickup cover. We then added a new cover ground wire - ran it through the channel - and soldered it to the volume pot. Because the negative black wire was connected to the switch in the circuit, the cover ground was causing interference.

When we put it back together to test it however the cracking popping noise continued whenver I touched the pickguard. After reading an online article about using copper tape for shielding I was going to stitch the patient back up and go to the shops today to buy copper tape - that is until we tried something else!

After inspecting the back of the pickguard we noticed it had a strip of aluminium foil to shield it from the wires in the channel leading to the he volume / switch compartment. My first thought was to pull it off to see what would happen but my friend suggested the alternative of putting more foil over it.

With nothing to lose we folded some aluminium cooking foil 4 times to make it thicker and cut it out to fit over that narrow aluminium strip on the inside of the pick guard.

After putting the patient back together again we plugged it into my friends amp and the crackling popping noise had totally dissapeared. Finally a win!!! I checked it out again this morning on my Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp to make sure I wasn't dreaming and it was fine. So there is a fix if you have encountered the same issues. I'm really looking forward to using this guitar regualarly with our band at our church.

I hope to upload a clip of the guitar in action soon and was going to suggest that as happy Logan guitar owners we should all do the same as there aren't many reviers / clips of Logan guitars. Hopefully Uncle Bob will eventually include some clips on his website to showcase his work - but in the meantime why don't we do this with our guitars to show our appreciation.

Getting back to guitar gear - the Strymon El Capistan may be pricey but it is the best pedal I own by far. Another amazing discovery is Joyo pedals. For the low price they are incredible. I own a Californian Mesa emulator and it makes all my Boss pedals sound pathetic. It even sounds better than my MI audio Tubezone which is saying something.

These pedals are great clones of some famous pedals and the amp emulators seem the best - lots of reviews on youtube. I'm going to get an AC tone next to model the Vox AC 30.

Best wishes to all in the US - only don't let our dollars slip anymore or another Logan guitar will be out of the question.

John:D

19. bigtim77

bigtim77 NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys .. This is my first post and my first Logan Custom... Can't express enough gratitude to Bob for taking my dream out of my head and making it a killer guitar.. Enough talking.. Here's some picks...

image-1662755040.jpg

image-2128593745.jpg

image-2746584195.jpg

image-3206935278.jpg

20. mdk2323

mdk2323 TDPRI Member

Well, it arrived today! What a great playing and sounding guitar! It's very light and resonant. Has a lot of chime with the TV Jones pups, but a lot of snarl with the Powertron in the bridge.

This is my first guitar with the medium C shape neck, and I've got to say, I like it a whole lot! Really fits the hand nicely.

The nitro finish is a first for me as well, but it looks great, no finger prints can be seen so far, so you gotta love that.

One oddity, the guitar did not come with strap buttons. What you see in the photos, is exactly what came to me. It's certainly not a big deal for me as I have a ton of guitar parts laying around, and I surely would have put some Schaller strap locks on it soon anyway, which I did. Not sure if this was just a slight oversight, as Bob hasn't been feeling well lately, he's got a neck issue. I could see some folks maybe being a bit put off by that, and I'm certain that Bob would make it right if I contacted him about it, but really no biggie for me, just a little strange.

The guitar came with a Roadrunner gig bag as well.

I would certainly buy another guitar from Bob if I were in the market. Great quality and craftsmanship, customized to my specs for a great price!

And everything that people are saying about Bob being great to work with is totally spot on, what a nice, friendly, helpful guy. All around a very, very positive experience.

Any questions feel free to ask me. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.