1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Great pics of the Logan family, dink. Great collection! A nice assortment of pickup configurations and colors and tonewoods.

I can understand your needing to sell a couple to fund a custom order, but what a decision to have to make! :(

Oh, and I'm up late because I just got home from a gig a little while ago. Finished the gig and then went out to eat with some friends (including Jodie, my duo partner, and her husband Joe). Got home after midnight, and loaded all the gear back in the house, so it was nearly 1am when I finally sat down. I've had coffee, tea and adrenaline tonight, no way I'm going to be able to sleep right away!

I did an acoustic set and an electric one, as usual, and my BSB got the gig. I was leaning towards taking out the Firecaster, but I needed to change strings on my Butterscotch, and once I did, I just wanted to play her tonight.

It was a great gig. Lots of requests, and with the exception of one, we knew them. We got the best tips tonight that we've had all year at that coffee shop.

One request was one that I heard once on "Pop Goes the Country" but have never played: "Heaven's Just a Sin Away" by the Kendalls. But Jodie knew the lyrics, so I played it in C as per her preference/vocal range, and just followed her as best I could. May not have been perfect, but we were able to fulfill the request, and that was appreciated... and a lot of fun! :D

One guy in the audience came up at the break, and afterwards, to talk to me about my gear. About my Logan Custom Tele, he asked, "That isn't a Lyon, is it? [by Washburn? :eek:] It sounds too good to be a Lyon." I got to give him a closer look and tell him about Bob. :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. dink

dink TDPRI Member

Larry, my wife and I use to play in a Praise and Worship band with a lean toward upbeat rock n roll type music. We did a rockin version of Sweet Home in Heaven to the tune of Sweet Home Alabama. It was a crowd fav and we would do a 10 minute version. Most of the song is 3 chords if I remember correctly. I was the rhythm man, my wife on the keys, a 16yr old drummer, 40 yr old bass player, 3 singers and we had a 16 yr old (Eddie Van Halen Jr) that could make a strat sing! People thought we were out of this world(but my part was really simple). We played all over South and North Carolina at youth rallies. We did that for 10 years from 1998 to 2008. I only played an acoustic in those days. ........Anyways I would be so jacked up after playing I was energized til late in the night. A lot of fun. I envy you. dink

3. looaustin95

looaustin95 TDPRI Member

TV Jones magnatron in the bridge and a tv jones t90 in the neck! Incredible combo!

4. looaustin95

looaustin95 TDPRI Member

I used mine for the first time today at church and it sounded amazin!

5. looaustin95

looaustin95 TDPRI Member

TV Jones magnatron an dtv jones t90 with a rosewood fretboard

6. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Congrats!!! She is a beauty!!!!

RonS

7. looaustin95

looaustin95 TDPRI Member

specs

I would recommend this pickup combo with swamp ash and rosewood for anyone that wants an extremely versatile telecaster! The TVJ T90 is a slightly brighter p90 pickup, and the magnatron is perfect for tele twang while hum canceling at the same time! And that magnatron can handle some really, really, really high gain settings!

8. jaredkistyou

jaredkistyou NEW MEMBER!

Hey all,
    Long time lurker, first time poster, so here goes.

I saw a user post a picture of a Tele a few months back and just had to have it, problem being, it was a limited run 2005 CIJ Tele, so I was out of luck. Long story short, my friend ordered a Tele from Bob years ago, and I decided to bite the bullet and get it done too.

Essentially a '72 Thinline. Mahogany body, Birds Eye Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard with block inlays, Fender Wide Range Humbuckers (reissues) white binding, red tortoise shell pick guard.
    I've never played a nicer guitar in all my years, and it came perfectly out of the box. Bob does fantastic work, and I plan to get more work done from him in the future.

So here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Live shot: [​IMG]

Bonus pic:
    My Tele rack from this past weekend (the orange Tele is the aforementioned friends Logan): [​IMG]

9. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Wow, that's a stunner! Congrats and welcome to the Logan family.

10. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I'm enjoying this influx of Logans lately that people are buying and posting about. I'm not very close to buying another guitar soon, so I can live vicariously through them for the time being.

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Same here, Justin. I really get a kick out of seeing so many examples of Bob's work. Like you, I'm not very close to ordering another Logan Custom. I do want to have another Firecaster made, but as I said few weeks or so back, I have to replace a powered mixer first. So I also live vicariously through the Logan Teles of others.

Oh, and congratulations and welcome, jaredkistyou. :D

12. looaustin95

looaustin95 TDPRI Member

Beautiful tele! Is that just the vox hand wired cabinet or is is the combo amp? If it's just the cab, what amp do you have running through it?

13. voodooblues

You have a nice collection of Logans now. That firecaster idea was brilliant. I've never been one to own 15 guitars, but I'd like another guitar from Bob so that over the long haul I can distribute the wear and tear over several guitars. I'd like something similar, but also a little different. Maybe another Tele with different pickups. C'mon mega millions...

14. jaredkistyou

jaredkistyou NEW MEMBER!

Thanks mate!
    It's an AC30 hand wired cab, and I'm running a Custom Shop Bad Cat head with a Trem circuit through it. Cub II T-HD is the model name. I absolutely love how it sounds!

15. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

I love bad cats. I am playing through the 5W version now. Heavy as sin. The combos can approach 100 pounds.

16. Aussie John

Aussie John TDPRI Member

Help needed

I had a Lefty 52 blackguard tele made for my by Bob and sent to Western Australia. It has the Klein epic 52 tele pickups in it with a 5 way selector for 5 different tones and I am very pleased with the guitar and tone.

The problem is that when the guitar arrived whenever my hands were not making contact with the metal parts on the guitar - ie bridge plate, selector switches, strings , tuners - there was a humming noise which suggested a grounding issue. I know Tele’s like Strats are not silent and do have some hum because of the single coil pickups - but this noise totally disappears whenever my body made contact with any metal part.

I am using a Hot Rod deluxe amp and ensured all the lights in my room and computer were not on – no pedals were used and I have tried other amps. I also found that on the last two extra settings on the 5 way selector - there was a definite buzzing noise if I touched the nickel cover on the neck pickup or the screws – but not on the other 3 settings. As well as this there is a electrical clicking/popping noise if I tap the scratch plate!

Bob suggested the ground wire may not be connecting properly and sent me the schematic diagram. I got someone at the local music store to have a look at it but all they did, without asking me, was to change it to a standard 3 way setting and all the issues were fixed. The problem is that I wanted the 5 different options which is why I got one with a 5 way selector switch.

I got the guitar rewired back to the diagram and the ground wire together with every connection was checked - but the same issues persists. Their suggestion was that there could be an issue with the neck pickup. Unfortunately I’m back where I started with the same issues.

I am at a loss as to what may be going on but can’t see how it could be a problem with the pickup if it worked perfectly when it was wired back to a standard 3 way option.

I did read in one thread that the pickup cover also needs to be grounded but am not sure if this is the case. Another thought was that it may be something to do with the fact that it’s a left-handed guitar.

After getting two different people to look at it without success I thought I'd put it on the thread in case anyone else with a 5 way switch has had the same issues or knows whats going on.

17. voodooblues

John-

You may want to post this same question in Tele Technical or the Just Pickups forum. In those places you can get a whole wealth of advice and more people may see your post.

18. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

John, you are not nuts! I have the Epic 52's and 5 way switch in my Logan Tele. I too experience what I call White Noise that dims when I touch something metal on the guitar. I also have the cycle clicking in all 5 settings. I play through a tubed amp. Funny thing, when I take it to my guitar lessons, I play through a Solid State amp with no issues. I just thought this might be normal and have learned to live with it. The tones are killer. I would be very interested in what you learn. Please keep us posted. Regards, Stephen

19. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

I had looked into a 4 way switch some time ago. It clicked when I read Aussie John's post this morning that it requires an extra ground lead from the neck. The neck pickup cover gets a separate ground. I would think the 5 way requires it also.

Here's a link to a thread on the subject - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/323303-can-you-get-strat-like-quack-your-mid-tele-position.html

Post #6 has a 5 way diagram.

This could be easily tested by temporarily adding a wire from the neck cover to the control plate.

For reference here's the 4 way article - http://www.diyguitarmods.com/telecaster-4-way-wiring.php

20. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

John, I believe I may have a fix for you. The neck pickup would have to be removed. On the bottom of the pickup, you will note a short connecting wire grounding the pickup cover. Cut just the short cover ground wire, Add a new cover ground wire and solder to the volume pot. Because the negative black wire is connected to the switch in the circuit, The cover ground is causing interference. This seems to work when tested, BL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.