1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kbee

kbee TDPRI Member

New Logan Jazzmaster

Bob told me about the Logan club, so I thought I would say hi and post a picture of my new Logan 60s Jazzmaster. I've had it few weeks now and it is just great. It is, as I think you all know, beautifully made and perfectly set up. I love how it plays and how it sounds -- there is something special about those Duncan Jazzmaster pickups. The swamp ash body is really resonant, and of course the whammy bar is as spacey as I hoped.

Thanks to TDPRI I had been thinking of upgrading from my CIC tele, and wanted some surf-type sound ability, including a tremolo. Anyway I was thinking of asking Bob to put a tremolo on a Tele, but then there this was on his web site! .... Bob is excellent to deal with too. My hat's off to him for building a great guitar.

The pics were taken by Bob, I hope you enjoy.:)

Below is one of the images, and here is a link for a slide show in Picasa: Slide Show

[​IMG]

2. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Beautiful Jazzmaster kbee!

3. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Very nice. I lusted after that one too! Welcome to the owners club.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, TDPRI seems to bring out the GAS in us. I don't know if it's Tele players in particular that are such GAS-afflicted gear hounds or if it's more generally true of guitarists.

This mixer problem I have is probably going to take precedence over GAS items. I need something reliable for two different PA applications: my duo, and a weekly gig with 4 vocals, two guitars and a fiddle.

5. LGOberean

Congrats, kbee, and welcome to the club/thread. Enjoy the pics in the slide show.

6. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

Congratulations! If you've got at least one Telecaster, a Jazzmaster is a great choice for another guitar.

7. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

kbee-

Congrats on the guitar! I remember seeing it on Bob's website, she is a beaut! Not sure if you've scoured all 10928748475 pages of this thread, but for the sake of comparison, here's my Logan. It's also Ocean Turquoise, but with a cream pickguard and amber tinted neck. It's amazing what effect these differences have on a guitar of the same color.

Attached Files:

8. kbee

kbee TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. And Voodoo
    I agree that Ocean Turquoise is a cool color,
    your Tele looks great. I was originally thinking
    of a Tele with a Bigsby so I am wondering how you like
    it ...

kbee

9. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

kbee-
    I love the Bigsby. When I bought the guitar, I saw it on Bob's website, so it wasn't custom made for me. I wasn't sure at first about adding the Bigsby, thinking that maybe I wouldn't use it much and that it would just be a novelty. Plus, the holes for string through were already drilled, and to some people adding a Bigsby to a Tele that already has those holes drilled is like a mortal sin. Anyway, I decided to go for, and I couldn't be happier. I use it more for "warbles" as opposed to all out dive bombs (which I don't think it's meant for anyway), and it's to the point where I find myself doing surf bends even on jazz tunes. I really do like it, and I do get a little carried away with it...

10. LGOberean

Had a gig tonight. My duo partner Jodie and I do a gig at a particular coffee shop (Café Calypso) the 3rd Saturday of every month, so we were there tonight.

Beth chose to ride with me to the gig instead of taking her own car. So after I loaded up the gear into my SUV, we headed down the road. About a mile down the road, however, she realized she'd left her cell phone at home. She said to leave it, but I insisted we go back to get it. So suddenly we're running about 10-15 minutes later than I planned.

We get to the venue, and I start unloading and setting up gear. Got it all up in time, but just barely. Didn't have time for a sound check. So as we are about to start, I figure I need to tweak the volume on my mic. I turn around and take a step or two back, only to get hopelessly tangled up in my mic cord and the cord to my footswitch leading to the amp. So with my Logan Custom "Firecaster" strapped on, I go down right in front of God and everybody! :eek: :oops:

As I was going down, I twisted so as to land on my side, mostly, holding the Firecaster up out of harm's way. Jodie immediately comes over to help, and I handed her the Firecaster while I picked myself up off the floor. I take my Logan Tele back, step back up to my microphone and say, "It's alright, everyone, the guitar's okay!" ;)

A weird start to a gig, and I was a little flustered at first. Flubbed some lyrics and some riffs. Settled in after a while. It helped that the placed filled up to hear us, and that at two separate times it was SRO at Calypso. Cool! :cool:

Frank and Lilly, a couple that are regulars (they've actually followed me at two different venues in town) came in with their daughter, Francesca. Always nice when fans come to hear you play. Somebody up front requested some Elvis, and I did "Heartbreak Hotel" and then "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You." Frank comes up as we finish the song and puts a tip in our jar. Then he says for the whole coffee shop to hear, "That's the song Lilly and I got married to."

All in all, a good (albeit weird at times) gig. Best tips we've gotten in months. I said, "It must be the sympathy gratuity. I should fall down more often." :oops: ;)

11. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

speaking of Elvis...i am doing an entire show of Elvis music at the nursing home this coming Wednesday for the monthly birthday party....each one who has a birthday in any given month is celebrated once a month and i do the show....when i sang there last time they requested an Elvis show so i am giving them one.

12. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Handled it like a pro...the show must go on...etc...

Props to you - you won the crowd over and probably gained a few new fans. Nice story.

13. LGOberean

Wow, a whole show of Elvis tunes?!? What is that, like 20 songs or something? My hat's off to you, Sanford. I don't know that many of his songs.

I've already mentioned two of the ones I do, "Heartbreak Hotel" and "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You." There's also one his Gospel tunes I do, "Who Am I." I also know "Old Shep" and "Hound Dog."

Others that I know of (but haven't played) would be songs like "Don't Be Cruel," That's Alright, Mama" and...hmmm...I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Like I said, I don't know that many Elvis tunes.

As for the monthly birthday party, we do that down here, too. I'm going to do that very thing a week from today at a nursing home down here. A retirement community that I play on Fridays (every week) does the once a monthly birthday party as well.

14. telecaster man

i know probably 50 of Elvis' songs....i can do 25 songs in one hour....as a young man all i ever did was Elvis' songs...i do a lot from his concerts and movies and so on....i do all the ones you mentioned as well as a few not as popular ones like An American Trilogy...The Wonder Of You...GI Blues and so on

15. LGOberean

So, Sanford, what guitar(s) will you use for this Elvis show? The Dove for acoustic? The White Falcon for electric? Or one of your Logans?

As for my limited Elvis repertoire, I usually play "Heartbreak Hotel" on one of my Logan Teles (like I did Saturday night on my Firecaster), while "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" is often done on my Breedlove a/e (but works fine on a Logan Tele, too).

16. telecaster man

I just use an acoustic...it's a black epiphone jumbo....i rarely use an electric....sometimes but not often....too many things to lug around...and with my back and legs i like to keep it as light as possible

17. LGOberean

Well, Elvis most often appeared on stage with an acoustic. And a black one at that. A Gibson Dove, I believe?

18. telecaster man

right you are...i also have a dove but it is red...i like my jumbo..i will sing can't help falling in love today and dedicate it to you and your wife...unless you have another you would rather instead

19. LGOberean

Thanks, Sanford, "Can't Help" is fine. I don't know if by now you may already be at or on your way to the gig. Just now replying 'cuz I just got home.

I play a retirement community today as well. This one is a weekly gig for me. It amuses me that they squeeze me in between bingo and supper. :lol:

20. telecaster man

hi Larry...well i did the Elvis show and it was great...best one i have done there since i first started...and i ended the show the way Elvis ended his...Can't Help Falling In Love...and i mentioned you and your lady...25 songs and man i was sweating when i was done...but the residents loved it and the nurses came to hear me in between chores and the supervisor...Tracy joined in on a lot of the songs as well as the residents...great time had by all

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.