1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Pulled the trigger on Logan #2 yesterday. I love the sound of P-90s and have been looking at a 72 Deluxe style with P-90s on Bob's site for quite a while. Thinking there's no way this guitar will last until I have the bucks to buy it.

It's a swamp ash body, natural finish with amber edging, Strat birdseye neck, Kent Armstrong hot matched P-90s.

I had a Squier 51 that I used as my travel/beater guitar that I traded for a Squier Custom II to see how the concept worked. It works quite well!

Yesterday it finally all came together. I emailed Bob asking for pictures and some more details, which he sent very quickly. We had a brief, informative phone conversation and I dropped the check in the mail last night. I don't even have to wait for him to build it! Can't wait to get my paws on it and I'll report back here once I do. Bob assures me that it will blow my Squier away.:D

Here's a couple of Bob's pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Family photo- includes 3 Logans- for Larry

:D Larry asked about a family photo on another thread, so I figured I'd put it up here.
    [​IMG]
    The Logans

[​IMG]
    The family photo
    I must admit, the GAS around here lately has been pretty thick...

3. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

and here i thought i had a lot of guitars and amps

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on your second Logan! :D Randy (rebelwoclue) has posted a couple of family shots, maybe you could post one of your two Logans (once you have both of them in the corral, of course). I'm sorry, I don't remember the particulars of your other Logan, just have a mental image of one with a natural finish and a white pickguard. And I'm not even sure that's right. (It's been a few months since we last saw a pic of her.)

I sure do like the natural finish swamp ash body (you too, I bet, eh, Sanford?). The pickguard on the '72 Deluxe was always a bit too much for my tastes, in no small part because it covers so much wood. Just me. But what you do see of wood grains on that one sure is pretty.

5. LGOberean

Maybe it's a Canadian thing... :p

6. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Wow Larry, you're good!

[​IMG]

7. rebelwoclue

:lol:Could be Larry, although I see lots of others around the globe that have some absolutely stunning collections. I am always amazed at the amp collection of Vibrasonic- he comes from my home town- check it out sometime if you haven't come across his vintage Fender amp collection- it's amazing!

8. mikhett

mikhett TDPRI Member

logan 52 tele butterscotch

Im gettin ready to pull the trigger on a butterscotch 52 tele from bob but i wanted him to install joe barden pups.he said " no problem"He said the kleins were just as good but i dont know ive had bardens in my 72 thinline and liked them alot!

9. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

in a word...YES....i just don't like black pick guards

10. LGOberean

Well, remembering a good looking Tele is not a hard job for me. But like I said, I don't remember the particulars beyond the basic looks. I don't remember what pickups or switching ya got in there, for example.

Also, I didn't remember the 6 saddle thing. I so like the 3 saddle look that I guess I tend to project that on every Tele I see.

11. LGOberean

Oh, you mean this guy?

[​IMG]

Yeah, that took my breath away the first time I saw that pic.

12. rebelwoclue

Yep, that's Paul.

13. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

mikhett, '52 Tele. I recently had Bob put the Klien Epic '52's in my Tele. They are outstanding. One upgrade I will recommend are the Barden Vintage Saddles. They make a big improvement in that vintage Tele sound. There are many great pups on the market, take your time and do the research. The toughest part of purchasing a custom guitar is the choices. Best wishes, Stephen

14. LGOberean

mikhett, I couldn't quite tell from your post if you are custom ordering a '52 BSB to be built from scratch, or buying an existing butterscotch Bob already has on hand.

He does have one with Klein pickups, so I'm wondering if you're talking about buying that one, but having Bob switch out the pups for Bardens?

I personally don't have experience with either Bardens or Kleins, but I've heard good about both. As Stephen already pointed out, he has Kleins in his Tele, and he has reported on them here. We will welcome your reviews when you have your Logan in hand.

15. LGOberean

Well, as you know, Sanford, I do like black pickguards. In fact, I kind of prefer them in many cases. However, I like a white PG on a natural (like on Clump's, and yours), and for certain colors, like Bob's Coral Red. And I love the tortoise shell pickguard on my son's cedar topped Logan "Logo" Thinline.

And Clump, I haven't gone back yet and looked up what pickups and switching your Logan. Like I said, I just have the visual image of the look of the guitar. I'll be out of town for most of next week, so I'm not sure when I will try and search through this thread and find the info. I guess I'm hinting around for you to refresh my memory. :oops: ;)

16. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

They are DiMarzio Area Ts, standard Tele 3 way switching. Really great pickups.

I hear you on the bridge. When I think Telecaster I think 3 barrel brass saddles. I bought my Logan used with the modern bridge. It works so good that I really haven't thought of changing it. This new Logan will be my 3rd Tele in the stable (non Logan is a Fender MiM Cabronita) and all 3 have modern 6 saddle bridges. Just the way it goes sometimes I guess.

I still have terrible GAS for a Micawber style Tele, but Bob having the Custom with P-90s already built trumped it. I do believe that will be next up.:D

17. LGOberean

I know I like the DiMarzio Twang Kings in my BSB Logan Tele. I wonder how the Twang Kings compare to the Area Ts? Quieter, I'm sure, but wondering about tone?

Yeah, I'm sure that dual P-90 will be sweet. I'm happy with the P-90 neck pup in my mahogany.

18. LGOberean

As some may have noticed in another thread, Beth and I are going to Dallas today. Beth will be there all week. I'll be there through Thursday morning, then I leave her to her conference and I head to our family farm for a few days.

I will try to keep up on TDPRI while on the road, but that will probably cease once I'm on the farm. We always have bad reception out there.

Later.

19. wpete

wpete TDPRI Member

Thanks Clump for taking that 72 w/ P-90's off of Bob's "for sale" site, I've been admiring it and thought it was the most desirable one there - my GAS will go on hold now for at least a little while.
    I think P-90's are so sweet sounding - let us know how you like it and some more pics would be nice.

20. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

It's shipping today, so with a bit of luck I should see it Friday. Of course with my usual luck it will be Monday. Either way, I'll post my thoughts and more pics once I get to spend some time with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.