1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

Yeah, I like that color too, and as for the body contours, I decided if I was going to have a custom guitar made, I might as well get it the way I want it. If I wanted a plain black without contours, I could have gotten a MIM La Cabronita for less money. I can't wait to play this guitar!

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The yard sale was successful in that we made about $282, but more importantly got rid of some accumulated junk. Well, it wasn't all junk, but stuff we just didn't need.

Loooong day! Here I am again, up late. I had some computer problems (church's, not mine) working up the order of songs, but it's done. Now for some shuteye.

Oh, and I've decided the Firecaster gets the gig again tomorrow morning. :D

3. LGOberean

Yesterday went well. I'm pretty happy with my "church rig," as some over in the "Worship Service Players" section call it. This rig consists of my Firecaster and two of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, played through simultaneously via my LiveWire Solutions ABY box.

On occasion I'll probably play my different Logan Teles in this worship setting.

Shoot, I may on occasion go back to my Breedlove A/E, or my Wechter Nashville-tuned parlor. But my electric rig is working pretty well for me right now.

I've got another nursing home gig in a few hours, so more later.

4. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Larry, so happy you get out to play often. I"m working towards that goal over the next year. Church, Sing- a-longs, garage band, etc. Warm Regards, Stephen

5. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

sorry to disappoint, but i can't claim to be Gary Burghoff... although that is where i borrowed my username from... i'm a big MASH fan, and i always liked radar's character, and loved that his drink of choice is grape nehi...

and i would love to hear anything you'd have to say about pickups... y'all take care...

6. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

As far as pickups go, there's a ton of them out there, as you know. When Bob was building my Logan Custom 'Jazzmaster', I requested he order and install Smit's Handwound Guitar Pickups. For some Tele options along with some other interesting pickup info, check out his website: http://www.smitspickups.com/index.htm

7. LGOberean

Thanks. Yeah, it's fun, and very fulfilling. The only playing out I did for years was in church settings. Being a husband and father was my primary responsibility back then. Now that the kids are grown and gone and I've retired, I get to play a lot more, and play out a lot more.

I'm part of a duo, and several times a month, a trio, with a guest or two sitting in at times. I'm no lead guitarist, but in both band configurations, I am the main guitarist. In the trio, a female vocalist will occasionally play rhythm on songs she's written, but otherwise leaves the guitar duties to me. This trio plays specifically at one of our local retirement centers.

As Sanford (fellow Logan owner telecaster man) can attest, playing for the elderly in retirement communities or nursing homes is very rewarding. I've joked about them being a captive audience, but the truth is, they are consistently a very respectful and appreciative audience.

In coffee shops and the like, it's really hard work getting the patrons to listen to you. Coffee shop "audiences" tend to want to treat you like you're a flesh-covered radio. I love it when I can truly get their attention for just a moment, but like I said, it's hard work.

At retirement/nursing homes, it's different. They are glad you're there, they pay attention and show their appreciation. I play three different retirement centers every week, and two nursing homes once a month. I've played to audiences of hundreds, but I much prefer the more intimate audiences of 20-30 seniors.

8. LGOberean

I didn't really figure you were Gary Burghoof; I'm pretty sure he lives in California, not Shertz, Texas.

(BTW, my youngest daughter and her family live in San Antonio. My son-in-law Chris, who also owns a Logan Custom "Logo" Thinline, is an executive in the accounting department at Whataburger headquarters, so when headquarters moved from Corpus to S.A., so did they.)

I too am a fan of M*A*S*H, and of the Walter Eugene "Radar" O'Reilly character. Love the "Radar" quotes:

Can you get drunk on Grape Nehi?

I guess it's a bear we all gotta cross.

You heard me! H-e-double toothpicks!

And perhaps my favorite...

Nuditity makes me breathe funny.

:lol:

Back to Logan Customs talk. As for pickups, I like the DiMarzio Twang Kings best of all the pups I have in my Logan Teles. The Twang Kings are in my Swamp Ash BSB, with a 4-way switch, which I would say is my favorite switching configuration. But I like the pickups in all my Logans, Wilkinson vintage style, P-90 and Bill Lawrence Keystones. I've actually been working on a review of them. More later.

9. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Larry, would you please post again; how to post a piture? I have forgotten. Thank you, Stephen

10. LGOberean

Stephen, I just got home and I'm turning around and heading out again, so I'll just post a link to the thread that taught me how to post pics.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/help-threads/50698-how-post-photos-tdpri.html

Hopefully this will answer any questions you may have about the process. I'll check back in when I get home tonight, but it will probably be late.

11. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Larry, thank you.

12. LGOberean

You're welcome, Stephen. Did that link answer your questions?

Well, in just a bit I'll be heading out the door again. Beth's got some banquet to go to, so I'm along for the ride. Not sure how much of a benefit I am, her being seen out in public with this hairy old troll. There's only so much you can do to clean me up for public display. When we're out in public like this, people must think that Beth's slumming...or maybe that she's a hostage! :oops:

I'll check in later.

13. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

Bob got done early!

He called me this morning and told me he was finishing the assembly on my guitar, and sent me the pics this afternoon! Here they are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

mpfef, very nice. TV Jones pick ups. Tell us about that volume knob? Is it push/pull w/tone? I like the toggle switch. You will dig the feel once you have the opportunity to strap it on. Enjoy, Stephen

15. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

The knobs are just concentric volume and tone knobs, so the control area didn't get too cramped. I can't wait to get my hands on this guitar.

16. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Concentric volume/tone knob. I have never seen this, but I like it very much. Way cool and simple.

17. LGOberean

Cool! :cool: Happy for you, congrats! :D

[​IMG]

I've seen them on other Fender products, but I don't recall specifically which ones. Seems to me this type of control knob was used on some bass models. Sanford, can you help us out on this? Am I remembering that right?

And maybe also on some other Fender guitars? I don't think concentric knobs were used on the Jazzmaster. Maybe the Jaguar? (Plugged-in, do you know?)

18. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

I have actually owned a precision bass with this configuration once...i did not care for it so i went back to original style....never seen it on a guitar before

19. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

Yes, as you say, the concentric knob has been used on a couple of the Fender bass models, and I recall their occasional past use in guitar mods. I appreciate how this type of knob simplifies the look of this Logan guitar without shortchanging the tonal possibilities. I would definitely consider such a control setup for any future Logan Custom. In this case, it certainly looks like another winner from Bob.

20. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Logan Customization

I thought this would be a good place to discuss the virtues of Bob Logan's custom work. With the discussion started above, I thought those coming to this forum considering a Logan Custom might want to see and learn why we had certin modifications done and what is available from Bob (sky's the limit).

Three areas of Bob's handy work on my guitar are pictured above.

* Bridge Plate: I looked at many Bridge Plates including the Callaham, Glendale and others and with Bob's guidance choose the Wilkinson. It is very sturdy and traditional. It provides great Tele tone at an economical price point. I asked Bob if he would notch the plate Gatton style. As you can see, Bob did a first rate job. I had this done for two reasons; I pick low and this provides me no obstruction in strumming. It also provides a great opening for finger style playing. I also believe that keeping most of the sides on the bridge retains the Tele sound we all love.

*Saddles: Originally, I had the Wilkinson Vintage Saddles that came with the Bridge. I did not like the intonation, especially the G string. I talked with Bob about this and he recommended The Joe Barden Vintage Saddles. The adjustment holes are drilled at different angles so each string can be individualy tuned. As you can see in the picture the strings lay perfectly flat. The intonation is spot on. There is an increase in sustain. The tone is pure vintage Tele. These are worth the extra bucks. I love them.

*Switch: I was looking for as many tone options as possible. I had some wacky ideas. Bob, grounded me and we started to discuss tone. He suggested the Logan 5 way Switch, which is different from what is out on the market. Positions 1-2-3 are traditional Tele, Position 4 both PUP's 1/2 out of parallel (phase), This gives the guitar a dark woody sound, P.A.Fish. Great for Funk, Reggie, Queen and Zepplin. Position 5 both PUP's Neck 10% reduced. Great when you are playing rhythm and break out into a lead. Also great for Jazz octaves and Blues.

*Pickups. There are many great pickups on the market and opinions good and bad for all. I do not want to get caught up in that type of discussion. In my rig I have Klein Epic '52. www.kleinpickups.com. They provide "me" with the tone I'm after. I think they are outstanding.

My wish is that future Logan owners find this type of discussion helpful. I also encourage other Logan enthusiasts to share pictures and discussions of there mods.

Also, please don't forget the most important aspect, talk to the man Bob Logan he will build you a guitar that makes you smile everytime you pick it up to play.

Stephen

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.