1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

ok, i know i'm making this way too hard, but any suggestions on pickups... i mostly play rock, i looking for something that sounds good clean, but holds up to some dirt, retaining the clarity... Bob recommended the alnico pro ii's, twang kings, and tv jones classics... i'm sure any of those would work just fine, but any input is very welcomed...

2. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Bob, turned me on to Chris Klein. I went with his Epic '52 to get that vintage Tele sound. I liked his Epic '61's just for the reasons you stated above, lower output for more clean head room and they take pedals well. Check them out. Chris is like Bob, he will answer all of your email questions quickly. The Pick-Ups Bob recommended are also great.Enjoy the hunt. Stephen

3. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

Well, I'm trying to narrow it down on color, and I'm leaning towards Metallic Gold. The only problem is that gold can look drastically different depending on exactly how it's applied. My daughter wants me to get a Surf Green guitar (she's 7), and if I can't decide I think I'm going to keep it simple and go with Black.

--Matt

4. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Mistakes that damage guitars. Any of you make any. I just discovered that I have been damaging my Logan Tele. My strap has a buckle that slids for adjustment. Well anyway, I usually play in the almost dark, but today I'm getting it ready9in the light) to ship off to Bob next week for some updating and I notice all these little dent in the front and back. What the heck! It is from the buckle, when I take the guitar off the strap and buckle hit the guitar causing these little marks. I would get upset, but this is a keeper and now I'll just say it is road worn. My music stand is a culprit as well, every guitar I have owned has been baptized by it. Would enjoy reading your stories. Stephen

5. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

Well, if we play 'em, they're bound to show some wear. At least you found out what that buckle was doing and can put a stop to it. I am usually very careful, but hitting a metal case latch can be a problem when putting a guitar away. As far as straps go, there are several brands out there, but I have been using all-leather Levy's (http://www.levysleathers.com/music) without any metal to avoid any dings. As always, shop around for best pricing.

6. Magnum Z.I.

Magnum Z.I. TDPRI Member

I went through the same dilemma when I ordered mine last year. I play in a modern country rock band so my needs are similiar to yours. I use my Logan for certain drop-D songs and absolutely love the way the DiMarzio Area T's pups sound. They are perfect for rock and are noiseless. What I really like is that even when using a higher-gain setting you can still hear every note of the chord.

Hope that helps.

7. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

Lots of good straps out there. I use italia exclusively now. No buckles. Suede backed. Plenty long and come in 2 widths.

8. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Larry, haven't heard from you in days. Everything okay? Stephen

9. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

Not that anyone cares till mid-March (when I can post some pictures), but I decided on a metallic black Cabronita with the TV Jones Classic/Powertron set. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

--Matt

10. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

Matt, can't wait to see it. Sounds awesome!

11. jshaffer24

jshaffer24 TDPRI Member

Hey guys! Just checking in, I know I haven't been on here in forever LOL. Just wanted to say that my Logan has become my No. 1 and for the first time in my playing career I am playing ONE guitar for everything. I actually sold off all of my other guitars except for one that I keep simply for low tuned stuff for messing around with. I would definitely love to own another Logan in the future but for now I am perfectly happy (did a fanatical guitar player REALLY just say that?!?) with my Logan Custom!!!!

12. Plugged-In

Plugged-In TDPRI Member

Oh, we care! . . . We care! . . . Waiting is the hard part, but Bob doesn't charge anything for the anticipation!

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I'm fine, thanks for asking. As far as commenting in this forum in general and this thread in particular, sometimes I feel like I'm falling behind the conversation. And that results in me backing off posting replies until later. Then when discussion increases, I feel even more behind, and the feeling builds on itself. Next thing I know, the better part of a week has gone by. :eek: And I don't know if anyone else does this, or if this even makes sense, but that's how I am.

One good reason I've been posting less is that I have been playing more. Not more gigs, necessarily, but more practicing. In general just working on getting better, learning new licks, adding new songs to my repertoire for performance sake, etc.

And a lot of the incentive for this recent guitar playing push is my Logan Custom Firecaster. I've been playing her pretty much daily since I got her in mid December. She's the only Logan I've gigged since that time.

For about the first month, I almost didn't even pick up my other Logans. For the second month, I have made a concerted effort to play the others as well, at home, that is. I wanted to play the Firecaster out partly because I like the tones I get with her, and partly because I wanted to be able to share the story behind the guitar, which in turn allows me to tell others about Bob Logan and Logan Custom guitars. (Yeah, I'm a Logan Televangelist. ;))

My previous Logan Tele, my Swamp Ash Butterscotch Blonde blackguard was my go-to gigging Tele before the Firecaster arrived. I will probably go back to her at some point. I like the Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups and the 5-way switch I have in the Firecaster, but I think I like the DiMarzio Twang Kings and the 4-way switch in my BSB a little more.

14. LGOberean

Wow, talk about not hearing from someone in days! I post and the whole thread goes silent for four days. Was it something I said? :eek: :p

BTW, for my Saturday night gig, I did in fact go back to my BSB. (I'm not saying I'm done gigging the Firecaster, it just felt right going back to that blonde.) My first set was acoustic, the second was my Butterscotch Blonde. Fun night. (It also happened to be Jodie's--my duo mate's--birthday.)

15. wpete

wpete TDPRI Member

We were just waiting for you to get back to your Logan w/ a P-90 so you could remember what a sweet sound a Logan w/ P-90 makes .
    Actually a back to back comparo of the pickup combo's you have would be interesting LG.
    For me, I think the best pickup improvement I could do next is to do an overdue string change .
    Regards Wayne

16. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello Grapenehi,

I have the Twang Kings in my Logan Tele and like them but you are right....it is very subjective. He put some S. Duncan's ss-1 in a strat that I like as well. He has a pretty good ear and the mechanical where abouts to get the tone that you are after.

Good luck...

Randy

17. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

18. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I like that color, nice change from the traditional black. I'm looking forward to more pics when they become available. I bought a Logan Tele about 3 months ago. Before I bought it, I lurked in this thread quite a bit. I'm still more of a lurker than a poster, and lately I've been thinking "We haven't had any pictures in a while. Someone really needs to buy a guitar from Bob so we can all check it out." Thank you for feeding the beast.:lol:

19. Stephen

Stephen Tele-Meister

mpfef. I like your choice of Black and the arm and belly cuts. You will love this guitar.

I hope to post some pics of my new Logan, new sorta of.

After playing my Logan for two years I came to realize, that I loved the feel and playability, but the sound was not me. Not Bob's fault, mine. I think I said this earlier, Bob offers lots of choices and I became overwhelmed, so beware this could be you too!

I fooled around with the Mason and Donahue Tele's and some other crazy ideas. Finally, Bob had to be the father figure (I think I was eatting too much candy)and said what are you trying to do? He said that some of my ideas, well would not sound very good(I finally heard what needed to be said). After he grounded me, we went to work and this is what I have coming.

* New Pup's Klein Epic '52 with the Neck PU Nitrocellulose Lacquer Potted like on the early Tele's.
    *Bridge Plate shaved flush on pick guard side to the top of the pick up.
    *Replace the saddles w/Vintage Joe Barden Saddles.
    *Replaced the 3 way switch with the Logan 5 Way..1,2 and3 same as standard Tele, Position 4 both PUP's 1/2 out of phase, Position 5 10% less low end on the Neck PU.

I hope I don't regret not getting two volume controls? Here I go again, to many choices.

Will shot some pics soon and post.

Thanks, Bob you are the best!

Regards, Stephen

20. LGOberean

Man, I'm getting that falling behind the conversations feeling again! :neutral: And it's late, and I really should get to bed, because Beth decided that we are doing a yard sale tomorrow! :rolleyes:

I want to get in on this discussion of pickups, reply to some that have recently posted again after a bit of a hiatus, and I want to find out about how a guy named Gary has a username of "grapenehi"... :eek: (Mr. Burghoff?) :p

But it'll have to wait. Need to be up bright and early, and I'm already pushing it. And Sunday morning I'm leading worship again. (Haven't decided yet whether I should use my Firecaster again, or the BSB.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.