Logan’s tell me about them

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Fretting out, Jul 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I’ve noticed in a lot of threads here that these Logan guitars are fairly popular I never heard of them up until a couple months ago.
    To the people that own one.

What do you think about yours?
    Are they all custom orders?(if so are they easy to work with)
    What features do you like?
    What’s the price point of a new one? (Used ones I looked up seem very reasonable) especially if they are USA made

I saw one on reverb that has a warmoth neck but has the Logan name on it does he usually build the “whole” guitar or is it more like what Nash does?

And not to put them in the hot seat but how do they compare to a Danocaster or one of Ron kirns builds

Thanks

Oh! And pictures of yours please

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

There's a Logan owner's club here ??? I could be wrong ...

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard other members here mention owning a Logan, and never heard a bad comment. LGOberean here owns about twenty of them (maybe a slight exaggeration) maybe he'll weigh in with REAL info. I see on Logan's website they can be had for AROUND $1000.....certainly not bad for a quality, hand-made instrument.

LGOberean and 8barlouie like this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve never owned one, but it doesn’t take very long, once you look at the website or see Bob’s comments here, to know he is very passionate about his work. I’m very interested.

5. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I have one on order with Bob right now, can't wait to get it. He was great to work with when I was figuring out exactly what I wanted, and has been sending pictures throughout the process. Will definitely report back in the owner thread once it arrives.

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Vintage blonde tele SN-14626 009.jpg

Several years ago, I bought one that I noticed on Bob's website. I contacted him and requested a few changes which he accommodated. Hands down, it is the best guitar I have ever owned!

7. Fretting out

LGOberean why I started this thread he replied to one of my other threads and shared 3 of them and got me thinking's about Logan’s and their quality, after that I did a little REVERB research and wasn’t sure if the prices were too good to be true as they looked to be decent.

8. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister

I have two Logan telecasters and will be getting a third when I can figure out how to get it past my wife! One is definitely my number 1 which is basically a copy of a Echopark Clarence (I purchased the Clarence pickup set from Echopark and had Bob build the guitar around them). The nice thing is you can have a guitar built to your specs. I had Bob put a push pull in that when activated made the guitar esquire, bypassing tone straight out. The second Tele is an HH with LP bridge. I can send detailed pictures if you want to see quality, fit and finish. Great guitars and great guy to work with. I drove up to his shop to pick the first one up, he is a retired builder who as a hobby builds guitars.

nojazzhere and djh22 like this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not in town at the moment, & I’ve never posted to TDPRI from my phone before, so I hope this works.

What do I think of mine? Well, I have 5 Logan Custom tele-styles, 1 acoustic/electric (tele dimensions) & 1 Logan Custom Challenger (Bob Logan’s own design). So, not quite the 20 Logan Customs that @nojazzhere conjectured, but that real number should still give you a clue.

And I’ve had eyes, ears and hands on more than just my own 7. My son and my son-in-law both have Logan Custom “Logo” thinlines, and I’ve played their guitars extensively. Plus, last September when I visited Bob and saw his shop and the guitars he had built for sale, I must have played half a dozen (a strat, jazzmasters, a tele & a Challenger) before settling on his Challenger as my choice. So, in my experience, the quality of Bob’s workmanship is wonderfully consistent. They are real players guitars.

As for how Bob’ guitars compare to the work of other Custom builders, I can’t answer that. I’ve never played another custom builder’s guitar. Over the years, I have played lots of MiM & MiA Fenders and G&Ls. I have chosen and will continue to choose Logan Customs. Not because the others are not good guitars, but because Logan’s are at the very least equal to the others, and I can specify what I want.

I’ve noticed comments many times on TDPRI about this or that perfect tele except for frets/neck profile/pickups/whatever. I’m spoiled to not having to think in those terms. I just discuss with Bob what I want.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I was being a little sarcastic when I said you had twenty Logans.....just knew it was quite a few. ;)
    I've talked ad naseum as to the evolutionary journey my own #1 has taken.....all the bridges, pickups, necks, etc. I've tried......and it's probably only now that I could confidently order a custom guitar from Bob, or any other builder, and TRULY know what to specify. For you guys who can pick up a stock guitar and say, "THIS IS IT!" I envy you. I was always one of those, like you mention Larry, that would play a guitar and say it was perfect, except for......(fill in the blank)
    I'm curious....are all your Logans essentially the same? (as far as neck size, pickups, etc.?) Obviously, I can play different guitars, but I find I am only truly comfortable with certain things, ESPECIALLY neck profile and scale. I definitely like variety in MANY areas, but in guitars, I guess I'm just "stuck" in one arena. ;)

11. LGOberean

I had been playing just acoustic guitar for 40 years when I decided that it was time to buy my first electric. At first I thought I wanted a Strat, but when I borrowed a friend’s, I didn’t bond with it. When I played my first Tele (a Hwy 1), I knew.

So for the first half of 2008, I was on a quest. I didn’t know a lot at that point, but I knew Teles sounded and felt good to me. Every guitar I’d owned to that point had 25.5” scale length, so Teles felt right in that regard.

@nojazzhere it may interest you to know that at that time I was very interested in a Tele with 3 pickups and a 5-way. I didn’t yet know just how versatile a Tele could be, and the Fender Deluxe Blackout was in production then. I never could find one to try out, though, so that didn’t happen.

On July 4, 2008, I stumbled across an eBay auction for a Logan Custom Tele. Someone had ordered it but lost his job and couldn’t pay off the reminder, so Bob Logan had it listed there. Reading Bob’s 100% positive feedback, with multiple customers having multiple guitars from him is what convinced me that Bob was the real deal. I went to his website, filled out the questionnaire, and within a few hours Bob called me.

Over the next couple of days, we exchanged several phone calls and emails. I was a real greenhorn, but Bob was very patient, and very informative and helpful. Also, friends and local guitarists made suggestions. For that matter, I had found and joined TDPRI before I ever knew of Logan Customs, so this forum was a great resource too.

So It wasn’t that I knew from the get-go everything I wanted, and I don’t consider myself lucky. I’d say that I was blessed with a lot of help early on.

As for my Logan’s, the necks are mostly the same: maple neck and board, 25.5 scale, of course, medium C profile, 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets. (Two don’t fit that profile.) But I’ve tried different bridges, and the pickups are all different (I’ve duplicated one brand & set, DiMarzio Twang Kings). The switches are 3, 4 & 5-way. And I have 1 thinline, 3 solid bodies & 2 that are chambered.

Over the last 11 years, I’ve found that some aspects and features are more to my liking than others, but all are well built and are real players, and not going anywhere.

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  12. LGOberean

I'm back home. When this thread was started by @Fretting out I was on the first day of a week-long RV camping trip with my wife. I didn't see it until a couple of days later, which is unusual, because I don't do very much from my cell phone when we're on trips. But my wife's slowing been dragging me into the 21st century, and so I happened to check TDPRI on my phone and noticed this thread.

So I posted from my phone (for the first time ever, BTW) last Wednesday, but couldn't figure out how to get my pictures. And since pics were asked for, I thought I'd oblige, even though doing so might be the TDPRI equivalent of showing up late to a party. Fretting out said that I "replied to one of my other threads and shared 3 of them." I recognized the username but don't remember offhand my comment/repy, or which three pics I shared. So I'll just post group shots of mine. My Logan Customs are displayed on hangers in our living room (actually my wife's idea:)). Since I have more Logans than hangers on that one wall (5 spaces versus 7 Logans), I'll post several pics with different configurations of Logans.

My Logan 'lectrics (before my 7th Logan Custom joined the fold)...
    05-29-2019 - Logan 'lectrics.jpg

My Logan Custom teles (again, before #7), with my Logan Custom acoustic/electric (tele dimensions) in the center...
    06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 2.jpg

My current Logan Custom tele lineup...
    06-29-2019 - My Logan Custom Teles - 1.jpg

I'll spare y'all lengthy descriptions of each guitar. I've shared about them many times, particularly in the aforementioned Logan Customs owners thread, so you can look 'em up if you're so inclined. Or if you ask here. My arm could be twisted. :twisted:

Oh, and several have referred to me by my username, LGOberean, and that's fine, but if you like, you can just shorten that to "Larry." :)

smartsoul72 and Fretting out like this.
  13. LGOberean

I like the story behind that purchase, and I particularly like that guitar. I might go with a blackguard instead of white, or because those wood grains are so beautiful, maybe a clear guard or none at all.

I also don't know if I'd go with the reversed control plate. My Logan Custom Challenger has that V, T & switch configuration, but I've found that neither Volume nor Tone swells make up that much of my playing style. Is that one of the changes you requested?

djh22 likes this.
  14. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Thanks Larry!

Originally the guitar had the standard control plate layout, and yes, I requested that Bob reverse it because I do both volume and tone swells. Bob originally built this with a black paisley pickguard and I requested that he change it to black, which I subsequently switched to white. I still have the black guard though for when/if I decide to change back.

Vintage blonde tele SN-14626 002.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    LGOberean likes this.
  15. Fretting out

I have no room to talk as I have as many guitars not all teles though.
    But do you find that each one has a different tonal palette?
    Or are they different only aesthetics?
    Or both

I have 3 teles and they each sound different but aren’t drastically different,
    There is a wide variety of pickups these days though

16. LGOberean

Well, of course the Logan Custom Challenger (Bob’s design, the one in orange haze with humbuckers and the snakehead, see the middle guitar in the first pic above) is different. Those PAFs have more output than the single coils in my teles, they drive the amp more, and are darker in tone.

As for my 5 teles, your description “they each sound different but aren’t drastically different” about sums it up. Even the aesthetics are the same but different. With but one exception, the pickups, switching, bridge plates, species of wood and construction characteristics (solid, thinline, chambered) differ from one to another.

I have Wilkinson, DiMarzio and Bill Lawrence Keystone brands in my various teles, the DiMarzio Twang Kings being my favorites. I’ve used 3, 4 and 5-way switches, the 4-way being my favorite. Different combinations of wood species and construction characteristics are found in each tele. They all sound like teles, and yet each has a subtle difference in tone distinctive to that guitar, and the look of each is different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.