1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Locking tuners

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Binx, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Hi all, I am working on a couple of 3x3 builds, and one will be with a bigsby trem. One of my earlier builds was a 335 with the bigsby, I used a Wilkinson roller bridge and Wilkinson ez-lok tuners and have never had any real issues with tuning stability and the bigsby. I also dont find that the Wilkinson tuners are hard to string, as I have read some think.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone has used both the Wilkinson ez lok and gotoh mg locking tuners?
    The gotohs are not quite twice as expensive.
    Both have 15.1 ratios, and I have read that often the two are made in the same factory. The gotoh mg use a different locking method (string pressure locks it in the whole as opposed to wilkinson's two hole approach).
    Mostly looking for opinions if anyone has compared the two, and if the cost difference is worth it. Thanks!

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I love the Gotoh Mag-Loks. Best locking tuners ever made, IMO, and no small part of that is because they can be used in old-style tuner housings (locking tuners without drilling, plus so much better looking than almost all other lockers), and combined with H.A.P. (height-adjustable posts), which is also a great Gotoh invention. I find the locking and unlocking to be easy and intuitive, but many online report having trouble with it. Reading the instructions well should make it easy.

3. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Thanks! Gotoh surely have a great reputation. Have you had a chance to try the Wilkinson ones ever?

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wish you luck on build. Could never get into locking tuners Imho

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.