Locking tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Pantonelli, May 30, 2019.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Gotoh makes a locking tuner that dropped right in and replaced the ones on my Squier VM Jaguar, and I'm about to put them on 2 Squier Thinlines.

2. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Les Paul style guitar that I put locking tuners on, I was seriously underwhelmed with the results.

3. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

It's not a "wow, I can feel the difference upgrade," but I think the hassle of string changes pays for itself in the long run. The only ones I don't or haven't changed them out on were guitars with split shaft vintage ones, I really like them. My MIA Strat, and Tele were both changed out. On the Strat, that I no longer have, I also put on an LSR roller nut, you could not get it to go out of tune, whammy bar bounced right back to perfect tune. Even my Tele now I can finish a gig, break it out in practice, after transporting, and it's still in tune.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

I prefer locking tuners for the modern style Fender tuners but entirely for the reason that I have a more difficult time changing strings on that style of tuner. Mostly, I would chalk that up to not changing enough sets of strings - so it's kinda my failing. Locking tuners sure make it quick and easy to change strings.

Now if you are speaking of the vintage style Fender tuners, leave them alone. They are a breeze to change and seem to work just fine. Most of my guitars have the vintage style of tuner.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMO the classic split shaft tuner strings up pretty fast and, if you string it correctly, nothing slips. I don't think that this late 40s technology has been improved upon enough for me to want something different. I've used all the basic types of tuners, including locking, and don't want to use anything other that a vintage-style split shaft.

8trackmind likes this.
  6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? A Les Paul has to have the vintage tulip tuners, not even those modern Grovers will do! Sorry Jimmy Page... LOL

I'll never understand why people chose a vintage style platform to redo it the modern way. If you want a modern guitar get one, Jacksons are pretty good. Or you can get a monstrosity, like a Dean for instance. Yuck!

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

They are better....for quicker string changes. That's all.

8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Well, who knows why some people cite very different results. But i can say with 100% certainty after using lockers since the late 80's or thereabouts that they have always held tune for me better then non locking no matter HOW i tie the string on the post with non lockers. They also take probably 80% less stretching when putting on new strings before they stabilize. On trem equipped guitars i would never ever consider non locking. On hardtails i sometimes do, but usually after a time i end up going to lockers anyways and end up happier with the result with respect to tuning stability. Certainly not as important as a trem guitar but still worthwhile IMO.

Skydog1010 and teledude66 like this.
  9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

By the way, there's something i'd like to mention that *may* cause some who have tried the locking post type to think they don't hold tune any better than a regular fender tuner. I'm talking about the gotoh and fender gotoh licensed ones that have a slot at the top of the post. The instructions you see for this type are IMO wrong. What they call them is "self locking" meaning that as you turn the key they automatically lock the string. While this is true it's NOT a good way to do it if you want them to hold tune well. If you do it that way they won;'t hold tune any better then non locking tuners. Heres why....as you tune it to pitch the post will tighten against the pressure of the string as they tell you. But the problem is it doesn't tighten as much as it can and as you play and bend strings etc, over time the post will tighten more and more for even weeks. And each time it does the string will go slightly flat. The way to use these if you want them to hold tune the best they can is after you have tuned to pitch take a coin like penny which fits perfectly in the top slot and tighten the post manually by turning it clockwise good and tight. You will feel how much more tightening it has to go when you do that and realize that over time that will tighten more and more every time you play causing them to go flat regularly. And it will likely never tighten fully unless you leave the strings on for months.

Do that and some of may find they work better then you thought before. The thumbwheel type won't suffere from this, but self locking posts do because they do NOT self lock fully and continue to do so over time. If anything they may actually hold tune WORSE than stock tuners if u do not manually lock the posts.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

I've noticed less stretching too, once I have stretched the strings. If you drop tune to D, D# or even C# (heaven forbid on 25.5 scale) - make sure you wrap enough to cover those "drops" won't take much, but I have threaded the hole and lifted my guitar with the residual string above the "eye" and locked and quickly tuned (on the fly) to find a 1.5 or 2 step drop out of reach.

11. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

I really don't see a point in locking tuners for most things, but I do like a good set of tuners. I have a stock Affinity, and I am not a fan of the tuners that came on it, and will be changing out for a set of Grover Mini Rotomatics at some point in the near future, because they've got a better gear ratio, and are smoother turning. If you have a low gear ratio, then it is easy to overshoot when tuning. Every cheaper guitar I've had in the past, became easier to tune with a good set of tuners added.

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've never really gone out of my way to buy lockers, I think I bought them once, which was last year, the 2 point ones. If i had to choose a type of tuner, it would be the vintage style by a million miles. They are so easy to use.

13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I use locking tuners because it makes string changes so fast. All my guitars but one have locking tuners (and some are in the mail for that one as we speak). The other day I changed strings and cleaned up 4 guitars in less than an hour. I can literally change strings on a guitar in less than 5 minutes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.