Locking tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Pantonelli, May 30, 2019.

1. Pantonelli

Pantonelli TDPRI Member

ok, I’m sure that this has been asked a ton of times.

Do the Fender brand of tuning machines just drop in on a squire, or do I need to drill two little holes, on each tuning machine?

2. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Some Squiers have the 2 little tabs that fit in the holes, but they are not in the same place as the Fender 2- tab tuners. I had to drill 12 holes when I put Fender locking tuners on my Squier. Easy to do

Pantonelli likes this.
  3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

I use a straight edge to keep them in line And found the easy way is to place the tuner where you want then give it a rap with my rawhide hammer which marks where the holes need drilled. Just do one at a time while carefully keep them lined up.

4. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Just curious, why do you want locking tuners?

Greg_L and Doctorx33 like this.
  5. Pantonelli

Pantonelli TDPRI Member

Honestly, because I was told they are better.

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Problems caused by tuners are rare. The great majority of tuning issues are the result of a poorly cut nut. Get your guitar set up properly and IMHO you should be just fine with your stock tuners.

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They aren't.
    Move on please ;)

8. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

They're mostly good for faster string changing. If they improve tuning stability at all, it might be because of less slippage with winding. But I'd say theain reason for buying locking tuners is for strong changing.

9. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Apparently, I can't type.

AAT65, LutherBurger and MatsEriksson like this.
  10. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

If you have a Telecaster, the only benefit is of faster string changing, and if you use the staggered ones, you get rid of string trees. But when you just bend strings with playing fingers, the most things happens at the nut.

If you use a stratocaster with floating trem and are whammying a lot, they do make a lot of sense in tuning stability. It really keeps them in tune better. However...

If you need a constant maintenance on guitar, in terms of taking off/on/off/on repeatedly to say, change the truss rod at the heel on some guitars, you need to change to new set all of the time. On Klusons with in holes you can get them back again, but if you've cut your strings on a locking tuner right next to the tuner post it's impossible to get them back again through the hole.

But I think you'll know that. If you are thinking in advance, that you'll have to have them off/on for a repeated number of times I suggest you just wrap them around the post the normal way AND DO NOT LOCK THEM. Until you're set and done and then you take a plier and stretch them out, then lock them, and you have not even half a turn to make before you tune them.

On a non tremolo guitar it's just a few advantages:

1. Once tuned up, and locked they DO stay in tune, and you don't need to ever do a touch up. On stage this can be of tremendous advantage. Let the guitar reside for a couple of days, and the brand new strings are still in tune. With normal Klusons the wraps around the posts are showing their flexibility and you still have to readjust because they've slacked in tension after a couple of minutes into while playing a tune..

2. Faster string changing. Who actually likes changing strings? It's a chore anyone wants to be done as fast as possible with as little struggle as possible and without the help of tools as much as possible. This you can do with locking tuners. No wire cutters at hand?

Wiggle the excess end of the string a couple of times back and forth with fingers, after 30 seconds it will fall off. And you won't a) get stung by the sharp edges from the string, it's more blunt. b) It won't rip your cloth up inside the gig bag at the headstock department. These days I use this method even if I have wire cutters at hand.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  11. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

You know that you can press the small "EDIT" icon below on your own posts, and go in and re-type and correct your typos? I do constantly. I can't type either. It can take days, and since I don't review my own posts, I "re-detect" the erros and palmface myself and go in and corrects...

12. Pantonelli

Pantonelli TDPRI Member

Thank you.

13. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I have bigsby’s on 3 Gretsch’s and on my tele. Locking tuners aren’t necessarily essential, BUT they sure do make restringing a breeze! I love them!

14. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Ah. I was typing and using my phone last night so I didn't see that. Now I know!

15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I have locking tuners on all my guitars but 2 and one of them has the vintage split-top tuners, so no locking necessary. The other guitar will get some locking Hipshot tuners as soon as finances allow.

16. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

I have Fender USA tuners on my Squier Affinity and they dropped in, but needed new screw holes I am sure. Fitted to this guitar:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

I also fitted Wilkinson locking tuners on this one, which seem good too

(There are detailed rebuild threads on both these guitars on here )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. radarman

radarman Tele-Meister

I respectfully disagree with the problem is almost always the nut and others saying it can't be tuners. It could very well be a poorly functioning tuner, especially on a Squier. I have a Squier Pro Tone Strat and the neck twisted so I bought a Classic Vibe neck for it, and a couple of the tuners were not holding tune. Since I was going to have to buy a new set of tuners then why not locking tuners. So I picked up a set of Jim Ho Korean made lockers off of the bay, gold ones and the guitar has held tune rock solid ever since. IMHO the Squier vintage tuners aren't the highest quality tuners out there. I would highly suggest you look at a set of these Hipshot locking tuners that come with a mounting plate and require no drilling on the headstock.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=311657563512

But if you are like me and don't mind drilling a little and filling a little then the Jin Ho locking tuners are about as good as Schallers..
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=292084909213

19. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

This.

The original tuners on my 91 MIM were terrible and I had a lot of tuning issues. I replaced them with Gotohs, which were drop-in replacements, and the tuning problems immediately went away. The tuners were much smoother and more accurate.

As for locking tuners, I would only recommend them on a Tele if you’re doing a lot of gigging where time is of the essence and need a quick string change.

20. radarman

radarman Tele-Meister

Locking tuners also increase the metal mass on the headstock, and in my case the guitar actually sounds better with better sustain. To each his own.. quick and easy string change can be a blessing even at home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.