Locking tuners

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by wetland10, Jul 7, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking around at thing to enhance my guitar and was thinking about locking tuners. How many of you are using locking tuners, and are they "worth it?" Which onces do you use? I've never had them before but wondered if they really make that much of a difference.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

German

I have the ones with the big thumbscrew on the back.
    Smooth & I think the mass of the tuner "might" add sustain.
    I have the vintage looking ones (grover) that grab the string when you turn the tuner.
    Easier string changes at the club is why I like 'em !

JJ

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

You don't need them on a telecaster.

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I use them - but I have Bigsby tremolos on my Teles...

5. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

General I just tie the string at the post so I don't have worry too much about slippage.

6. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

If you restring in this fashion, it basically is a locking tuner:

[​IMG]

If you have the split shaft Kluson style tuners, you can't do that as easily, though. Your string gauge plays a role, too. I find that .010's and up stay in tune easily but .009's can be touchy sometimes. Often times on any guitar, the nut and the string trees are your tuning problem areas, followed by the bridge/saddles and how well the strings are installed.

I just put a set of Fender/Ping "Schaller-style" locking tuners on my MIM Standard Strat with the tremolo blocked and have used a few other guitars with lockers. The first thing I notice is a slightly more "taught" feel on the string as there is less string length to stretch and it has less give on bends and such. They also hold their tune very solidly as there usually is less than half a wrap on the post and less slack, which is important for tremolo use. Many lockers for 6-in-line headstocks also are staggered in height, which sometimes can mean you don't need string trees, which removes a friction point. They make on-the-gig string changes fast, too. So yes, they do have advantages, more so for vibrato users and heavy benders, but they are not essential.

P.S.- as per the statement about mass, my stock sealed tuners on my Strat were the same weight as the replacement lockers, and Sperzels are even lighter. But compared to Klusons and other open gear tuners, they are heavier.

7. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I have Sperzels on my B, G bender tele. Aside from that particular guitar, I prefer standard vintage keys.

Attached Files:

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I have the Grover Keystone Press-in-bushing on my Les Paul and I like them a lot.

9. Biz Prof

Biz Prof Tele-Meister

I just ordered a set of Wilkinson EZ-Lok tuners for my SX STL50. I'll let you how I like them when I get them installed.

10. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I guess my only reasoning was to keep in better tune as much as possible. It seems like most people don't find them necessary. I'm not sure if I even like the fact that there is not much slack in the strings, seems like it could give a completely different feel to the guitar.

Wayne

11. lsdtele

lsdtele Tele-Meister

i have sperzels and i really like them. as far as feel goes i cant really tell a difference..does anyone know anything about Guitar Fetishes locking tuners?

12. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

As I know nothing about them, I'll ask a stupid question. What about alternate tunings? Could you tune down to, let's say open G, or because of the lack of string winding are you stuck in standard?

Wayne

13. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

Locking tuners are not like locking nuts on Floyd Rose guitars as that system depends on the bridge's fine tuners for tuning once the strings are up to pitch after installation. Locking tuners just clamp the string to the tuner itself so it can't slip through the hole; they otherwise function normally. The distance the strings would need to travel to go down a whole step, or even a fifth, would be well within the half wrap or so installed, so open G or any other tuning is not an issue.

14. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Sure, I play in drop d, dadgad, and open G often with the sperzels. They're very smooth.

I am hoping to try GFS new locking sperzel-like tuners on a strat neck of mine soon.

15. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

The GFS look pretty cool and reasonable.

16. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I ended up taking a chance with locking tuners to see what they are like. I got a set of ProLine tuners from someone that sells through Ebay. They are Sperzel style and they are really nice quality. The gear ratio is 16:1. They installed very easily and were an exact replacement as far as screw hole, etc. SO that was nice.

I am going to rely on them tonight for the first time at rehearsal and see what I think.

Wayne

17. BeardedRainbow

BeardedRainbow Tele-Meister

They're nice, I installed some of their Gotoh style locking tuners on a Strat and even with the tremolo they hold up very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.