Locking Tuners

deano48

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Looking for locking tuners for this Squire Tele. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2E12572B-179A-459A-9890-A292F9944B9C.jpeg
    2E12572B-179A-459A-9890-A292F9944B9C.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 33
  • A2F07F23-B8E1-439B-A214-800CC1FC73CD.jpeg
    A2F07F23-B8E1-439B-A214-800CC1FC73CD.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 34

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I used these on a Bullet Tele:

They don't require any drilling or alterations, and are easy to remove if you want to put the originals back on. Someone here on the forum, I believe it was Ronzo, had posted a link to them in another thread, and that's how I found out about them. They worked great for me, and I'm not a DIYer at all.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Don’t get Schaller locking tuners.

One of the six I bought is rough and hard to turn.

I’d got some split shaft Gotohs on order.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
I went through the trouble of changing the alignment holes on a Bullet Squire headstock to handle the Fender locking tuners. Had to fill and then drill new holes and do some gentle filing to get everything aligned. But I like the results.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Why?

Hopefully, you aren't just getting them because the internet said you had to for a Squier.

The Squier Standard series tuners work fine as long as you know how to properly string a guitar, if "tuning stability" is a concern. You might also want to make sure the nut slots are cut right for the gauge string you're using.

If string changing convenience is what you're after, you can get spendy ones or you can get relatively inexpensive ones in the $25 range that work fine.

deano48

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I think I want to go with the Hipshot UMP Locking Tuners but I"m not sure what size peg hole my Tele has.

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
Looking for locking tuners for this Squire Tele. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I've put Fender's own locking tuners on to a Mexican Tele and Strat. Easy to install, no drilling necessary. I don't know if they'd fir on a Bullet but you could check.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Why?

Hopefully, you aren't just getting them because the internet said you had to for a Squier.

The Squier Standard series tuners work fine as long as you know how to properly string a guitar, if "tuning stability" is a concern. You might also want to make sure the nut slots are cut right for the gauge string you're using.

If string changing convenience is what you're after, you can get spendy ones or you can get relatively inexpensive ones in the $25 range that work fine.
I tend to agree. Those are fine tuners on that pic in the OP. Unless this guitar has a vibrato bridge, the only benefit will be slightly faster string changes.