Locking Tuners for G&L ASAT Classic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by yyr123, Mar 15, 2019.

1. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Yes that is cool[​IMG]

2. kenhan

kenhan NEW MEMBER!

So I'm in the same situation, looking to replace my stock 12:1 ASAT Classic Fullerton Standard non locking tuners with split post. They are really tight and jerky, making smooth and precise adjustments impossible. So Schallers are drop in replacements? What's the tuning ratio on those? I emailed G&L with the same question, but haven't heard back.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure about the ratio but if you get the tuners from G&L they should be drop in replacements. I've also heard that sometimes depending on which email or how you try to reach out to the their response time can be slow.

I would suggest asking these same questions on the G&L forum - guitarsbyleo.com - the forum's webmaster/moderator can help you get a response from G&L, plus they should have info on the tuners (it seems like there have been recent changes in the tuners as well).

kenhan likes this.
  4. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

My G&L locking tuners were drop in replacements

I have the ASAT Classic - American

Really easy replacement

kenhan likes this.
  5. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

You could Google the tuning ratio for Schaller locking tuners, since that's what the G&Ls are.

6. silvertwang

silvertwang TDPRI Member

I used the hipshot upgrade kit, six inline. the hole ream is 25/64 or 10mm and no other drilling is needed as the kit inclueds these metal strips that sit between the tuners and the headstock and have tabs that prevent the tuners from moving out of alignment. IMG_6001.JPG IMG_6010.JPG

SuprHtr and kenhan like this.
  7. kenhan

kenhan NEW MEMBER!

From what I can make out from your picture the machine head housing is not screwed down to the mounting plate or into the headstock. Is that right? Do you find that they are seated securely, or do they wiggle or wobble?

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I'm not sure if you saw the pics i posted in rhis thread earlier.

The tuners aren't screwed into the heasdtock directly.

On the back, you will have either one centre pin (the pin I had to drill an extra small hole for to fit the G&L rebranded Schaller locking tuners) or 2 side pin holes. Look at the pics i uploaded, you will see 3 small holes for each tuner on the back of the heasdtock.

On the front of the heasdtock, you can see a bit around the tuning post. That nut is only the visible part of a threaded inserts. That threaded insert screws onto the housing part of the tuner, and, with the tuner firmly seated in its pin hole(s), keeps it firmly in place.

So the tuner doesn't need to be screwed into the heasdtock directly, it's lined and screwed through the tuning ped hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.