Locking tuners for American Pro II

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
On a related sidenote, how do you change the pickups on these guitars? The Double-Tap pickups in the American Professional II Telecaster Deluxe are regular humbucker sized, but regular humbuckers typically have 2-screw mounting - these Fender Double-Taps have 3. Honestly, the only thing I think you can drop-in replace is with Shawbuckers from the previous Am Pro series. What's more, because of the shorter saddled bridge, this Tele Deluxe has a one-off pickguard only for this model. None of the aftermarket pickguard places I've seen have replacement or 'PAF-ready' options. Might be a few years before they catch up?

There are little converters you can use to change any humbucker into a 3 screw one .... I can't remember exactly what they are called though or where you might find them.

It's just like a little plate you attach to the leg, that sticks out either side and gives you the 2 mounting holes you need. I put them in a guitar years ago, I think I found a seller on ebay maybe....

MogwaiBoy

TDPRI Member
Picking up on an older thread. I'm in the process of ordering a new APII Telecaster and want to put Fender Locking Tuners on it. The Fender specs say the APII comes with staggered tuners, and photos I see look like 2-tall and 4-short (can anyone confirm that?). The Fender Lockers come packaged as either 3-tall and 3-short or all short. Will going from short to tall on the 4th string create a problem?

Yeah I wondered that too - but it's the only way Fender make their staggered locking tuners, so I assume it's fine. I am still gathering up parts for my mods, so I haven't installed the locking tuners yet.

MogwaiBoy

TDPRI Member
There are little converters you can use to change any humbucker into a 3 screw one .... I can't remember exactly what they are called though or where you might find them.

It's just like a little plate you attach to the leg, that sticks out either side and gives you the 2 mounting holes you need. I put them in a guitar years ago, I think I found a seller on ebay maybe....

The Creamery Pickups have an option to select 3-screw mounting when ordering their PAF's, specifically for replacing Shawbucker types in Fenders. Lollar also have a converter plate but according to the rep I conversed with it wouldn't fit my Am Pro II Tele Dlx.

You probably did find some on EBay - there's a lot of good aftermarket solutions if you go looking.

My solution: I sourced an official pickguard schematic from Fender and got a pickguard maker on Ebay (he had aftermarket Pro I pickguards, so I enquired about doing a Pro II, which he agreed) to cut me one with 2-screw mounting. This is currently on its way to me. Fingers crossed it fits the new pickups perfectly (Bare Knuckles).

kneedtospeed

TDPRI Member
Hipshot Fender “Directrofit” .
Drop in, 21:1 , Staggered (2L 2M 2S). Good quality.
Many button choices.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's