Locking trem block

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jazzalta, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Has anybody tried the TailFeather locking trem block? If so, what do you think? I want to replace mine on my Hwy 1 and am looking for something more stable. Thanks in advance. Oh, the webpage is http://www.tailfeatherz.com.

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Tailfather? IMO, not wanted or needed. I wanna hear the vibes of those springs, not lose them.

Wanna go "hardtail"? All ya gotta do is screw in the trem claw and/or add on another trem spring or two. No need to "block" the trem. I get the bridge's butt pulled solidly down to the g'tar top. I'll adjust the spring tension via the claw, and number of springs, so that with a bit of right hand palm effort the trem will function, yet deep double stop bends won't move the bridge at a bit. There ya go, best of both worlds - trem & hardtail. YMMV.

3. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I agree. You don't need the Tailfeather.

But I still have one. I was happy with how it played before, I'm a bit happier with it now. The only concrete difference I sense is that the guitar is a tad lighter. Tuning stability and sustain... I wouldn't really know, may be a slight bit of each, but I wouldn't vouch for it.

I have never used the trem, though I like to hear some others use them.

4. Rob DiStefano

BTW - if you've got access to a drill press or hand drill, two bolts (say, 1/4x20) and a likewise thread tap, you can convert most any trem block into a Tailfeatherz. And it's easily reversible back to a working trem. But why bother - just stiffen up the trem and be done with it.

The ONLY redeeming feature of the Tailfeather is taking off 3-8 oz of total Strat weight.

5. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I READ you loud and clear. :D

6. Rob DiStefano

:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.