Locking Guitar Straps

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I went back to the little washers types after my bass and mechanical lock parted company, thankfully no damage and I realise it was probably me not keeping them tightened, but it was to close for comfort, those washers never let me down
Every string change I take two minutes to check the tightness of the ends as well as the pins. It's a routine that I've had two decades. it's a no brainer

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
About 7 cents a piece at Ace. I don’t take the strap off ever like some might though.

Attachments

• 2FB7B229-AF9C-4425-85AA-63972D550E69.jpeg
    2FB7B229-AF9C-4425-85AA-63972D550E69.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have one.
It looks nice, and I use it with my Yamaha NTX700 nylon string.
The “locks’ are hard plastic, so they may last a little longer.
My preferred method is Grolsch beer washers.
I got lots.
And lots.
They work perfectly, and come in 4 packs!

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Every string change I take two minutes to check the tightness of the ends as well as the pins. It's a routine that I've had two decades. it's a no brainer
You right, totally blamed myself, I should have done it as you say.

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
I use the same setup on my three Telecasters. Leather strap and black Fender rubber washer. Once you get them on they will never come off!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i've never had a problem with a thick leather strap (i use a perri's) and no locks.

but the standard nylon ones with those chintzy leather/leatherette ends, yeah those are absolute trouble. they get worn and fail - that's how i put a pretty nasty ding in the top of my 335.

i don't really want to install locks on some of my guitars, so i considered the rubber washers, but the thicker leather strap has proved solid enough.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
Suggestions and recommendations? My regular strap is getting a bit worn and had my strat fall out the other night. Looking for a couple locking ones for the strat and tele.
Suggestions and recommendations? My regular strap is getting a bit worn and had my strat fall out the other night. Looking for a couple locking ones for the strat and tele.
A&F designs, pricy …but honestly love em .

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
I use the same setup on my three Telecasters. Leather strap and black Fender rubber washer. Once you get them on they will never come off!
That's exactly my problem with those. They never come off! I wanted to use one or two straps for all my guitars.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
These are really good knock-offs of Schallers - set of 8 for $30 on Amazon. Been using them for over a year, no problems.
1641758718901.png

As for straps, I like the Hendrix series from Dunlop. Wider by about an inch over regular straps and very comfortable.
1641758780730.png

Not to mention gorgeous - I get all sorts of compliments.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thanks for the reply’s guys, I settled on trying the cheap washers.

I ask people shopping for a pistol to defend their domicile - "What's your life worth?" Sure you can save a couple hundred by buying a cheap knockoff made out of polymer (i.e., plastic), but I trusts my life to something more substantial.

The Schaller knock-offs I posted work great and are WAY cheaper than the regular Schallers. But if you want to trust your Number 1 to a rubber beer gasket ... it's your call.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
The washers work well; so does everything I've used. But I will share this: when I bought my new Strat in 1989, I asked the sales guy "what are the best strap locks you have?" Without hesitation, he said "Schaller". I told him to put them on - they're still there today.

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Lock-It strap [ https://www.lockitstraps.com ] on my Lakland Bass and another on my 335. They work great, no mods needed. My Tele came with Schallers.
Two thumbs up for the Lock-It Straps.
I've got one of their leather ones and it works great.
I always take the strap off when guitar goes in case.
I don't want to battle with washers and I don't wish to change out the buttons on my Tele for locking ones.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve used Schallers for almost 32 years. They work great, never had a failure…and the strap buttons work is you have to borrow a regular strap without the locks…I invest in extra strap buttons for the new guitars as they come along.