Locking Guitar Straps

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Suggestions and recommendations? My regular strap is getting a bit worn and had my strat fall out the other night. Looking for a couple locking ones for the strat and tele.

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
Suggestions and recommendations? My regular strap is getting a bit worn and had my strat fall out the other night. Looking for a couple locking ones for the strat and tele.
Or buy the beer, drink the beer and use the washers!

Attachments

• 02ABB7A5-5F74-470C-97BA-29FB5B3F4E10.jpeg
    02ABB7A5-5F74-470C-97BA-29FB5B3F4E10.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 39

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
This isn't the most popular answer but I love Ernie Ball strap locks -- except that they don't sell the strap buttons separately. They look kind of big and dorky, but they work great for me. I use one strap for most of my guitars, and it's very easy to swap them. The outlier is my Danelectro because the strap needs to be a bit longer.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I use the Schaller style on all of my 15 guitars but don't buy the expensive Schaller brand. Check Amazon or Ebay for the cheap Chinese copies that look the same, work just as well and are a fraction of the price of the Schallers.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Years ago I bought 8 or 9 "Comfort Strapp" straps, both bass and guitar models. I use the bass straps (3 1/4") as well as guitar straps (2 1/2") for guitar. These have neoprene sewn to the inside of the strap and are kind of elastic and rubbery feeling and soft on the shoulder. Very comfortable. I've installed Dunlop Straplok or Schaller strap locks on all the straps and strap buttons on most of my guitars, so they are very easy to put on and take off. These are non slippery so also great for keeping slightly neck heavy guitars from sliding and dipping down. At the risk of repeating myself, they are unbelievably comfortable, they "bounce" or stretch slightly, in a good way, so the weight on your shoulder varies a little and is not always the same. Very durable, mine are still in great shape after gigging with them for over 20 years. Plain black, so they work with any guitar or outfit. Can't recommend them strongly enough! Don't get the regular or short ones, they are too short. The longs and the extra longs are adjustable and the perfect length.

I did a search on the internet a couple weeks ago and found a few vendors that sell them for $33-$35, so I bought 3 more. The new ones seem to be as good quality as the ones I bought many years ago.

I use either Dunlop Straploks or Schaller S-Locks buttons on the guitar and on my straps. The Dunlops work great on guitars with the upper strap button on the top horn of the guitar or the upper bout of the guitar like a Strat, Tele or LP. I like the U cradle of the Scahllers on guitars where the upper button is on the back where the base of the neck joins the body like an ES-335, SG or Flying V. I've used and like the Fender rubber grommet/washers that work with regular straps too.
ComfortStrapp.jpg
ComfortStrapp1.jpg
ComfortStrapp2.jpg
CmfrtStrp Tele.jpg

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Dunlop. The recessed ones are super cool but only if you get a new guitar with them because it’s a bigger hole. Never had a Dunlop fail or Schaller fail but Dunlop look the most neutral.

I got a couple sets of the new Fender locks. They look great with the logo buttons. But they extend way off the body and that makes me nervous about wear.

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
After trying a lot of kinds, I have settled with and used for years the Marvel strap locks.

marvel-mvs501bk-strap-lock-system-black.jpg

I have also recently tried the cheaper $3.99 D'Addario dual lock which is also a cable holder and it is awesome!

750-PW-DLC-01_detail3.jpg

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Dunlop, never had an issue with them.

Beer gaskets seem to work, but they make me nervous.
For good reason... I've seen hundreds of people swear by them... but if the leather around your strap stretches, and is fixing to part ways with your button.. wtf is a rubber washer gonna do for ya?

Yes, I've had one fly off.... Thankfully I caught the guitar before it hit the floor.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I used Dunlop and Schaller strap locks for years, but they were always having issues between squeaking, the screws becoming loose in the body, and a pain to keep tight on the strap (I guess Loc-Tite or a lock washer would help). For the last 10 years (and many gigs the last three or four) I've been using the rubber washers and the old style Fender conical strap buttons with no problems at all. Life has been simpler ever since switching.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I went back to the little washers types after my bass and mechanical lock parted company, thankfully no damage and I realise it was probably me not keeping them tightened, but it was to close for comfort, those washers never let me down