Locked-Up -- Baja or RW50

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleKato, Apr 9, 2011.

1. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

So I want a NGD. Once more into the breach dear friends, once more (breach=fury of me Missus). But I'm completely locked up on the choice between two -- Classic Player Baja versus Road Worn 50s (Blonde). My brain is issuing forth little puffs of smoke from my ears -- well, the good ear anyway.

In this corner, the CP Baja -- well thought-of on TDPRI. Soft-V neck :)grin:), 9.25" FBR :)neutral:), Med-Jumbo frets :)neutral:), Broadcaster/Twisted-Tele :)grin:-major), "new" finish :)grin:)

And in the other corner, the RW50 -- also well thought-of on TDPRI, well reviewed too. U-neck :)grin:), 7.25" FBR :)grin:), 6105 frets :)grin:) [especially like that combo!], Fender Tex-Mex :)neutral:), road-worn finish :)cry:).

In short, I'm leaning Baja -- love that neck and those pickups! With the RW50, I really am not a fan of the road-worn, but that neck&FBR&fret combo is what I'm hot-to-trot to try. I have the neck/fret combo in my CS Deluxe, but it has the 9.5" FBR (which is fine BTW). And the Baja can likely be had for a skosh less than the Blondie RW50.

Aside from having a horrible, addictive, compulsive, obsessive GAS gene, I suppose aside from inventory-building what I'm trying to do is try out a lot of different Teles to find what I like and don't like -- with the thought that one day, I will have my own 'Tele-Kato' made that has all the best bits, by one of the folks who build in their own company (sorry Fender -- lotta love for ya, but I'm not paying $5K for a Masterbuilt).

So, fellow-Tele-travelers .... advice? And yes I know ... why buy one when I can buy both for twice the cost.

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

No:
    Fake relicing
    6 saddles
    7 1/4 inch radius

Gee, easy choice for me.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd go RW, but I'm not you.

4. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Unrealistic relicing aside, every Road Worn guitar I've played has been fantastic. Don't let the purists around here persuade you to think "unearned" wear has any effect on how good a guitar is. That said, I think you'll be very happy with either choice.

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

That is a helleva dilemma to have, but not an enenviable one. I just remember how nicely the RW50's felt in my hands trying it out. The neck was something else, so soft and lovely, like a young......sorry got off course there, I also liked the way you could dig into the RW, not that you can't on the Baja, of course you can, I just remember the RW50's experience very vividly and kicked myself at the time for not getting it when I had the opportunity for a $499 floor model that had hardly been played. (There was a scratch on it! A relic? No way! LOL). So my experience colors the situation a bit.

6. sheltonsuperdav

sheltonsuperdav TDPRI Member

I had a chance recently when buying my first Tele and got to A/B a Baja and a RW side by side. All I'll say is that I took the RW home with me. It just felt right and still does.
    Thanks, Dave

7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

The Baja-no contest.

8. GuitarObsession

GuitarObsession Tele-Meister

I don't think you're gonna lose no matter which you choose. They are both excellent playing guitars.

The RW I tried felt amazing. I just can't get past the relic look. More of the old "it's not you, it's me" routine. Still, it was tough to put down.

The Baja I tried also felt amazing. I love the neck and the pickups. It's just awesome...and cheaper!

Personally, I'd choose the Baja, but I'm really curious as to which one you end up with.

9. Tellebelly

Tellebelly TDPRI Member

I have one of each, and they're totally different critters, but in very cool ways. The only solution, IMHO, is to get both.

10. vlada

vlada Tele-Holic

+1

11. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Have you guys actually played a Road Worn or are you going on looks? Not trying to question your opinions but in terms of playability and feel, I think it's not so easy of a decision.

12. vlada

vlada Tele-Holic

yup. played `em both in store. baya has better pups and sounds better to me. period. and the looks of the rw are plane ugly to me. relic job is sooooooo unrealistic that it is a shame they have done it at all. and also i hate 6105 frets find them unplayable.
    so if both guitars were NOS maybe you would have got me thinking. just for a second.
    this way baja no contest.

13. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

I had the exact same dilemma and could not find a Baja to try. In the end I picked Baja and am thrilled every time I pick it up.:D

14. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I have played both-but I didnt buy the RW. Its a nice guitar, and sounds good-but its wasnt exceptional, IMO. The best thing the RW has going for it is the sanded down/unfinished neck the rest of the specs were good, just not as good as the Baja.

Based on feel, tone, and looks Id pick the Baja.

15. 52 tele

52 tele Tele-Meister

I have a Baja and after a bit of tweeking it is fantastic.

I desperately wanted a blonde RW50 tele,but after trying one out I just could
    not get along with it,a bit dissapointing really as I love 7.25" necks.

16. minmei

minmei TDPRI Member

get both.

The RW I have is the blonde. Best playability, even after I got used to it (I have a Les paul and used to classical necks).

ANd it just fits for some reason (once I got used to it). Better than the muddy or the baja.

Sound is awesome, but the best is the baja's ability to not worry about damaging it.

But the baja has more tones / sounds and the neck is better if you're used to larger necks / can't transition easily (my friend is like that he's more into ibanez / prs), but it doesn't slide as easily.

However the rw I have sounds different just as good, but I can coax more feeling on the rw for some reason. It has a bit of personality to it :)

I'm sorry you're just going to have to get one and save up for the other.

RW bass are awesome too.

17. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Not exactly worth a press release but .... I went with the Baja. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

And also to whomever it was who had the thread of buying a Tele from a distant Guitar Center. Finding used Bajas seems to be like finding morel mushrooms in the forest; pretty hard/rare. Anyway, found one at a GC in FL but never had my email returned and it did a Keyser Soze off their site. Then found another one at a GC in TN (for less money too), and just got off the phone having bought it. I'd have never thought to do that without TDPRI postings -- thanks for that!!!

18. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a fine choice-be sure to join the Baja club.

Its my spring break this week, and I have been giving my Baja a workout-its a suberb instrument.

19. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the RW tele I played felt as good in my hands as any guitar I've ever picked up. If I didn't already have 6 teles including a couple of custom shop models I would have bought it. The only thing I liked about the Baja was the neck, but lord everyone of them I've picked up was heavy (Really) and I don't like the pup switching set up on them.

20. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I'm anxious to get the Baja and find out for myself. It is pretty close in specs to the Custom Shop Deluxe I own -- both have Ash bodies; both have the big-fat neck (Soft-V); both have the four-position switch (S1 ... ehh); and both have basically the same p/u config. My CSD is feather-light ... lightest of all my Teles. So I've seen this 'Baja-is-heavy' statement and am interested to find out.

I was really intrigued by the RW ... but the 'worn' part just doesn't suit me. I like my stuff shiny and spiffy. But, we'll see ... in a month, you never know! Thanks again everyone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.