Lockdown boredom!

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Silverface, May 13, 2020.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Actually, I've been fairly busy - but yesterday got hit with the "Covid-19 Downtown Lockdown Blues" © (wow - what a song name - better slap a copyright on it!)

That had to be it, because there's no *sensible* reason for doing this! why else I would have done this:

I have an old, discontinued (from what I gather) Higgins "Peg Bender".

I used to have it on my Variax but got tired of the VERY short throw and "on off switch" feel. So it's been laying around at least 6-7 years. I stumbled on it poking randomly through "gadget drawers" due to sheer boredom.

Hmm - Weird Peg Bender.:oops:

Hmm - I have a weird Fender "Alternate Dimension" Tenor Tele.:cool:

Why not!o_O

Of course I had to replace ALL the tuners with Klusons/adapter bushings to get it to fit...and one ended up a little "off kilter" just to fit. Yes, I *do* know how to install tuners in a straight line!:D

And setting the throw (I have it in "Chicago" tuning - an octave higher than a stock guitar's top 4 strings) turned out to be a major project, requiring some creative mounting! But amazingly I didn't have to adjust the "pull" cable that attaches to the strap at all, the throw (about 5/16" - and those of you that play benders know anything under 5/8" gets kind of dicey.)

My "main squeeze" - "The Terminator" - is a 7- pound wonder-a '69 reissue Tele body, actual '69 Mitey Mite neck, 1968 Fender bridge, Velvet Hammer pickups with 12+ tonal options - half of 'em boosted to overdrive the amp...and a beautiful one-off Evans Pull String...currently set to a 1" pull)

But the short pull actually feels OK with such a small guitar, and it's a hell of a lot of fun as a "Noodling while on the couch binge watching some series on Netflix" instrument:p

I need to hunt for a couple more, for a little Yamaha acoustic and a National Res-Glass acoustic!I can't think of anything else that would work!

I just hope THEY won't be 6 hour projects! And I'm a tech??:confused:

The last pic - The Tenor next to my Baritone Pull String - gives you an isead of the difference in body sizes!

full top.JPG peg bander - front.JPG peg bender - back.JPG Baritone and Tenor.jpg

asatfan, Matt G, Don Miller and 12 others like this.
  2. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe TDPRI Member

this is crazy! Love it. Maybe treat us to a vid of how it sounds?!

3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Mini Me tele with maple fretboard. :D Very :cool:

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ultra cool!

5. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

......jesus...............

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dang awesome.

7. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Does Evans still do work? I've tried his FB account a few times with no response.

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Jim thats a pretty interesting "contraption".. once pulled how does it return ? I see a spring but is it connected to anything to pull the string back ?

Sometimes the simplest designed contraptions end up being the most effective !

Most Double Benders have the G connected to the "body" with a lariat...this is kinda the same principle.

Maybe its only one or two revisions away from being brilliant ! :)

tp

9. Silverface

YES!

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you connected. He had some health issues that got him way behind setting up his new shop in Las Vegas, but he's all set now. Post and message notification via email is really spotty on Facebook (I get about 20% of the messages that are sent to me unless I log on to Facebook),if that's how you we're trying to reach him - and he doesn't log on to Facebook much, so he'd never see messages there. He's not much of an internet guy - his machining business is just him and he just doesn't have the time to cruise the internet.

He only set that up as a stopgap because GoDaddy fouled up his website! Anyway,I can get you in contact.

10. Silverface

By string tension. I keep it lubed with dry Teflon and it snaps right back - as long as it's set up right.

For something developed about 20 years ago - when only stock PW's, Glasers, Palm Pedals and some one-off benders were available - it was pretty well thought out.

Honestly, it's pretty dated now and kind of clunky. It works, but as I said it took HOURS to fine-tune it.

I haven't seen one for sale in years.

PS - I'm terrible at getting stuff recorded (unless I'm in a studio with a producer and engineer!), so don't expect anything soon!

T Prior likes this.
  11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

<blockquote> . . .there's no *sensible* reason for doing this! why else I would have done this. . . .</blockquote>

Hot diggety!

12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Hot diggety!

13. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

That's really fun, Jim! The baritone with the bender really catches my eye!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.