1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lock down recreation classic car ownership - anyone else doing this? Share the fun and pain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Oct 28, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No not really. It's just a general point them rather than the specifics of the car. Here it is.
    Mercedes Benz CLK Sport AMG. The day I picked it up.
    MB CLK Sport AMG.JPG

2. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A wise choice.

3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I also have a MKII Sprite.

Screenshot_20200328-144944_Message+.jpg

archetype, ce24, Guitarteach and 4 others like this.
  4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

How often do you get to put the top down in sunny London?

getbent and radiocaster like this.
  5. rze99

Thank you.

A bit of careful logic and quite a bit of emotion.

A friend of mine, much wealthier than me, had one of these new back then (now he has a top Aston Martin... whew) He dropped by for a visit and he said I could drive it. I remembered I liked it a lot. I remember him saying "I like that you can use it as a daily car and it always feels special plus you can get four people in and go on a picnic trip" or similar.

It's not going to win prizes for performance these days but it's ample power for trips out with the missus on the nice bendy country roads we have in the UK.

The AMG models with all the toys - this has the lot - have their fans and some say they that with all the history they may start to gain value. Who knows? They might be banned in 2030. I just don't really care about that, just the way I feel.

The guy who sold it me was changing to a little electric. He's likely on the right side of history. I just wanted a treat.

getbent likes this.
  6. rze99

You know, way, way, more than I thought possible. There have been a lot of nice days this Summer. The windscreen combined with the side windows offer a lot of protection when cooler. It has heated seats that feel like you've had an accident. A number of days it would be 5 o'clock in the afternoon and it was the nicest part of the day. Kick off work early, head out to a pub for food and a pint, get the top down. A bit fumy in London, admittedly.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Ignatius and suave eddie like this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

That truck is sublime.

And I dig the wagon. Too bad it's way up in Oregon. Although I bet it would run all the way back down to So Cal with no issues.

getbent likes this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I had the same thought, and went thru the availability of my short list. 4 cylinder Esprit, 3rd gen Mustang, Kaiser CJ, '40 Ford coupe, and a few others. Then, I remembered I don't yet have a place for it, and my boat and tractor are already mothballed in storage. Sooo....

I got the boat running, and got the cabin on the river back better-than-livable. Nice. If I can get this d#$% garage cleaned out, I'd have room for a classic ride.

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

11. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

12. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The El Camino or the Bonneville would be awesome. That Bonnie might have a 400 in it. I had a '72 Catalina that had the 400 ci engine and the turbo hydramatic transmission. It was my car when I was 16 and 17 in 1978 and 1979. You could put 6 people in that car and none of them would be touching. The trunk was the size of a small apartment. It was a beast.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

My sisters best friend had the bonneville when I was a kid... cruising to get ice cream... and the electra... oh man, one of my best friend's parents had that car... had it not been for the raincoat, I may have stained their back seat... so, happy memories on a few occasions!

Harry Styron likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The Abarth version of that little devil: must be fun!

I have a strange fascination with the classic Abarths. When I hit the jackpot, that's where some money will go. If you get money first you can buy me a '63 1000 Monomille Bialbero. Here are some examples you can choose from. If there's a choice, I'd prefer the version with the long kamm tail and long nose.

We have first option on a 70s Fiat 124 Spider if we're interested in maintaining a 45 year old Italian sports car. They're dead simple to work on, and parts are readily available, but I don't know if I'm up for car maintainence like I used to be.

getbent likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool. That's a picture of an MGA, though. Was this a test? Did I win the Abarth 1000 Monomile Bialbero that I want?

Back in the day I had a '66 Triumph Spitfire Mk. II and a '65 Turner Mk. III.

getbent likes this.
  16. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bought this 93 NA Miata C Package from within the family 2 years ago. My son is addicted to Japanese cars, so I got it as a Father/Son thing. When it wears off, I'll buy a '66 T-Bird (my first car)
    20200927_142323.jpg

rze99 likes this.
  17. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Y'all must be rich! My assets are on lock-down until after the virus & election.

18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Here is my fun vice...76 MG Midget.....new Weber downdraft and manifold. Started having idle issues. So while i was pokin around i noticed the carb actually moved a little bit.....turns out, one all thread stud was GONE! And the other three were a little loose. Im was like WTH....So i replaced all the studs with loctite and used nylocks.....boy does it run smooth.... image.jpg image.jpg

Chuckster and 1293 like this.
  19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

We had the Catalina station wagon of the same vintage. Like you say, they are hosses. First car I took friends to see concerts. The one I remember the most was Yes with a rotating stage.

Yeah, it’s fun and somewhat practical. Didn’t cost an arm and a leg, gets decent gas mileage and is easy to park in our small garage. Easy car to work on and mod for the most part, too. I just recently changed oil and used a racing grade Motul product. Huge difference from Castrol which is the only brand the local suppliers stock. Much less vibration. Between myself and two sisters we have had 5 of them, but mine is the only Abarth.

My neighbor only a couple of doors down owns a garage that specializes in vintage Fiats and Alfas. He frequently has rare models in his garage. Good luck if you get the 124. He works on a lot of those, too.

archetype likes this.
  20. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

When we were house hunting, we found a great house, but I wasn't able to see the inside of the garage on first viewing.

We returned in the evening and got to see the garage:

[​IMG]

The owner was a complete MG nut. Had a couple of spare engines as well. He left the benches, cabinets, and pegboard, but took the cars. The spots on the floor came out without too much trouble...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.