1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lock down recreation classic car ownership - anyone else doing this? Share the fun and pain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Oct 28, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a bunch of money saved up for 4-adults family doing international travelling this year and, of course, in the Spring it was obvious none of it was going to happen. Thankfully no hard bookings so no money lost.

Rather have no holidays and feeling a bit glum, I decided on a whim to blow some of the holiday money on a hobby / classic cabriolet fun car for top-down UK day trips and weekends away.

Plan:
    • To keep my old family workhorse it has no residual value and doesn't go wrong - this was to be just fun trips
    • Get something that is desirable, top spec and that's easy to resell. No risk, full dealer history MOT service records etc.
    • Keep the dealer servicing and maintenance up and keep it in top valet cosmetic condition.
    • Sell it when and if I feel like it or keep it just longer term for recreation motoring.

I found and bought an older model luxury German made grand tourer type sports cabriolet.
    Possibly future collector.. maybe not. Doesn't matter.
    Private sale. "right spec" relatively low mileage, every extra known to mankind.
    Absolutely beautiful condition with full dealer service history, one local doctor prior owner.

Reality:

First. the pleasure:

My wife and I did nearly 3k of trouble free miles since we got it.
    A few longer trips, day trips, early evening escapes to the country, catching the nice weather and putting the top down whenever possible. Top down has been great fun - never had one before - and the car is lovely - addictive to drive and it feels special cruising around.

Then the pain:

Last day trip out... orange engine warning light came one. Popped it to the dealers this week.
    I've just had the dealer report. OMG. Let's just say a whole bunch of money is going out.
    I could get it done off-dealer but then I lose the full dealer records and best to keep that on this one, I think.

I'll get the work done and then I have to decide whether to keep it...

Will probably trickle charge it under cover over the worst of the Winter.

Anyone else do anything similar?

lewis, P-Nutz and ravindave_3600 like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

My neighbor moved here last fall to be a big dog engineer at Specialized (the bike people).... with the current events, he was laid off and just kind of stuck at home. he sold his fancy Volvo and bought a 70's ranchero. His dad came up and they have been working on it and driving it and working on it and driving it... it seems like he is having fun with it. We took them beer and tools a couple of times when we saw some stuff we thought was too jerryrigged for safety...

I like working on cars, so I think it is a great idea and if the car isn't relied upon for daily driving, that is great because you can leave it while you work on it.... no half measures.

You'll forget the bill once you get humming down the highway again.

lewis, P-Nutz and ravindave_3600 like this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

We had a small financial windfall and very little money going out due to the current world situation, so I thought it might be fun to maybe pick up an old car (60's-70's) to tinker with and cruise around with the family on weekends.

seems that I've been out of the "classic" car game for too long, because prices are through the roof.

I thought I could find a decent fixer upper for around 3500-4000. But apparently that's what rusted out carcasses with no motor are going for nowadays.

Ratty daily drivers are now 10 grand. I think people watch too many Barrett-Jackson auctions.

Bummer.

4. getbent

tell us what you are looking for... if you have a pickup that could tow a car, I'll bet we could find what you are looking for! there are cool cars etc for 4K still (that run etc) they just aren't everywhere anymore...

Jakedog and ravindave_3600 like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Long out of the car business, but got to take my dad's 63 Olds out a bit prior to selling. He had stopped driving (at 94) and it was just sitting in a rental garage. 421 big block. Sold it to a guy out on the east coast.

[​IMG]

Telekarster, ce24, P-Nutz and 3 others like this.
  6. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ah , the old modern vs vintage dilemma.
    Things do wear out.
    I had a fun car for over twenty years . It got to the point where the car and I both were getting older and it just wasn’t fun anymore. One less thing to spend my time and money on.

ravindave_3600, drlucky and rze99 like this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'm in LA so that's probably why the pickings are slim and the prices high.

I'd love a full size 4 door or a wagon. Something big. 1965 to 1975 or thereabouts. Mechanical issues aren't a problem, but major bodywork or a ripped up interior I'd rather not deal with. If it's too much like a death trap the missus won't want to ride in it. Don't have a trailer or towing capabilities so it would have to be something I can drive away. I suppose I could call in a flatbed...but now we're already running into unplanned expense...which I understand is inevitable.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. :lol:

Jakedog likes this.
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Not really a classic car, but I have been doing a lot of work on my DD. Just put in new springs and shocks/struts. I have chassis bar braces in front, back and sides, and one inside the trunk compartment as well. Oil catch can, turbo blanket, silicone intake pipes, better exhaust, and ECU and TCU tunes. I will have to think about what else I have done, but those are the ones that I can easily remember. Got to jump on a call right now.
    1-750x563.jpg

ce24 likes this.
  9. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I've always liked older cars and still own my high school car. I can't imagine getting into the hobby at todays price point, no matter the brand.

If you're seriously into making a purchase, buy the best condition car you can afford. If it has any rust you can see, the rust you can't see is much worse. One should do some research on replacement part availability on that particular model before signing the money gram.

I'll admit the old cars do provide many smiles per gallon just be smart and safe about it.

10. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, since you are in LA you have to compete with the "Wheeler Dealer" TV show guys for the bargain fixer uppers. Seriously, though, as getbent suggested, I bet that we can help you find something good. I'm always searching online for automotive "steals."

On the subject of lockdown recreation and "fun" car ownership, I find that I am rarely using my Crossfire convertible. I try to get it out for short drives on the weekend, but there is nowhere to go. No Cars and Coffee, no Crossfire club drives, etc.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

7EA75BE7-E85A-48CA-B2B3-9F232A3D0B3A.jpeg

It looked even bigger to me then...

57 years young.. all original.. but the last manifold (originally off a jag) cracked... so its getting a full going over in lockdown. Its a daily driver in dry weather.

96C6F1AE-27CB-404E-A482-BF9F215BD534.jpeg E533738E-A93E-4FD8-92F0-3FDBE6B92C91.jpeg 23FB9613-9091-45CE-AA00-428B97AB1419.jpeg E94EF1E0-D81A-4970-810A-16B01157D522.jpeg 9CA12AFA-B3A7-4E06-876B-719B3D984764.jpeg
    F3B22BFA-2C23-4364-92EF-97A115581D98.jpeg

Jakedog, ce24, hdvades and 5 others like this.
  12. getbent

I'm gonna look around... I LOVE hunting stuff like this... and cool choice on ride too.. doable!

Jakedog and rze99 like this.
  13. CharlieO

Yeah, I'm in LA so that's probably why the pickings are slim and the prices high.

I'd love a full size 4 door or a wagon. Something big. 1965 to 1975 or thereabouts. Mechanical issues aren't a problem, but major bodywork or a ripped up interior I'd rather not deal with. If it's too much like a death trap the missus won't want to ride in it. Don't have a trailer or towing capabilities so it would have to be something I can drive away. I suppose I could call in a flatbed...but now we're already running into unplanned expense...which I understand is inevitable.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. :lol:[/QUOTE]

This was easy. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/pasadena-mercedes-300td/7219099174.htmlHere is your next car.

Mercedes sedan.jpg

[​IMG]

OR:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/hesperia-1983-mercedes-benz-300-sd/7215985370.html

Mercedes sedan 2.jpg

ce24 and getbent like this.
  14. getbent

15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Makes you wonder what will be considered a classic car in the year 2050 . With my youth being as it was , I have been exposed to more of the antique/classic car mindset than most will ever have the chance to know . I was in knee deep mud at Hershey before most knew it existed . The old red and blue fields that no longer exist . I recall when the white field was created . I may have actually been to the first Fall Carlisle . Of course , back then , no one thought of it that way .

CharlieO likes this.
  16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

The Sea Foam Caddy speaks to me. Very Palm Springs.

The Satellite wagon looks like a base model stripper...and is a bit rough...but also up my alley.

Keep 'em comin'!

CharlieO likes this.
  17. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Is it a secret what car you are talking about?

CharlieO likes this.
  18. CharlieO

Yeah, that Seville is definitely the winner. The photos suck, and "No tire kickers don’t waste my time I know what the car is worth. Come ready to purchase with cash in hand. Contact only when Ready to Purchase." Seriously, though, it could be "the one."

And I'd be pretty interested in that Silver Shadow, too. The GM engine conversion is already done. What's with the "Photo of odometer upon request" bit? I have good memories of a '67 Silver Shadow from my booking agent days.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.