Local smash-and-grab jewelry store attempted robbery goes bad for robbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Just saw this on the news, a local jewelry store had an attempted smash-and-grab robbery, and the employees rushed them and kicked them out of the store, including a woman that just beat and kicked the wannabe robbers!

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
nothingtoseehere.gif

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Just saw this on the news, a local jewelry store had an attempted smash-and-grab robbery, and the employees rushed them and kicked them out of the store, including a woman that just beat and kicked the wannabe robbers!

What's amazing is that most of these "smash-and-grab" gangs are too often armed, and if this one had been, things could have "gone south" very quickly.
We, as society, need to resolve ourselves to rid our communities of these villains......but I doubt we ever will. :(

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
What's amazing is that most of these "smash-and-grab" gangs are too often armed, and if this one had been, things could have "gone south" very quickly.
We, as society, need to resolve ourselves to rid our communities of these villains......but I doubt we ever will. :(

Often I've seen them just armed with hammers. Definitely could have been a different outcome if they had guns, but I'm sure glad they worked out for these folks. That shopping center is located right next to a a freeway, a perfect location for a quick getaway.

Decades ago I parked my work truck there to go into a Barnes & Noble, came out 15 minutes later and it was gone. My work truck, all my tools, my clipboard with thousands of dollars of checks, all gone. Also a special tool I made to lift built-in ovens, and even my favorite sandals.The truck was locked, and they use the big screwdriver to get in and to start the ignition.

I got the truck back stripped of all the tools but running a month or so later. It was found up in Huntington Park, in Los Angeles County.

So I especially enjoyed seeing these store employees kicking those wannabe thieves out!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Sometimes the good guys win.

Talking about if they had firearms it could have turned out differently. Yes, but I am not sure it’s that easy to actually shoot someone.

Glad it turned out how it did.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Sweet! I used to ride my bicycle there when it was Huntington Center...lol. I liked that place. I would go tp Barnes and Noble, Macaroni Grill, Kohl's...all the stores. I did a lot of holiday shopping there and I know right where that jewelry store is located. I'm glad they fought back without getting hurt.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Good for them! I think that if I had a shop where stuff like this is prone to happen, I think I'd be retro fitting all of my display cases with high grade security window film. In fact, it might even lower the shops insurance premiums? Dunno about that but nonetheless, here's what I'm talking about

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Sometimes the good guys win.

Talking about if they had firearms it could have turned out differently. Yes, but I am not sure it’s that easy to actually shoot someone.

Glad it turned out how it did.
i had a friend who had 5 brothers, all cops. The one thing they agreed on was that the Dirty Harry wannabes would find out that it’s not so easy to shoot someone if they ever actually have to pull the trigger. It’s easy when you’re sitting in your arm chair with a couple of beers bragging to your friends.

I’m a proud gun owner, but most of these guys are more Unclean Harold than Dirty Harry.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
i had a friend who had 5 brothers, all cops. The one thing they agreed on was that the Dirty Harry wannabes would find out that it’s not so easy to shoot someone if they ever actually have to pull the trigger. It’s easy when you’re sitting in your arm chair with a couple of beers bragging to your friends.

I’m a proud gun owner, but most of these guys are more Unclean Harold than Dirty Harry.
^^^^This. I'm an NRA-certified pistol instructor and I always have a pistol handy in my truck and in various niches in my house. But I don't carry on my body because I don't want to get involved in a shootout with some scumbags who have nothing to lose. There is no material object that is worth your life - especially if it's something being stolen from somebody else's business. Break into a home and endanger family members, and it's a different story. Also the minute that round leaves the muzzle, you're in a legal world of sh*t. We teach that in our concealed carry classes. Unfortunately, there are quite a few individuals who have permits who shouldn't be given anything sharper than their elbow.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity

It's not a common discussion in Aus, but the few times people have expressed an interest in 'defending society from scumbags', I wonder if they know what it's like to have a shot fired at you in anger. I'm not saying that those of you with guns shouldn't have them, or that you shouldn't enjoy them. That's not my place. But I do wonder how many of the 'Unclean Harolds' (loved that) would handle a proper firefight. (and hope no-one,anywhere, at anytime) has to go through a firefight.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
The difference here is that this was a family owned business. Most of these smash and grabs are at corporate owned chains where the employees are trained to stand back and let them take what they want. The thieves probably assumed they would not be challenged. The employees at this store had a personal connection and were fighting for their own livelihood.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
^^^^This. I'm an NRA-certified pistol instructor and I always have a pistol handy in my truck and in various niches in my house. But I don't carry on my body because I don't want to get involved in a shootout with some scumbags who have nothing to lose. There is no material object that is worth your life - especially if it's something being stolen from somebody else's business. Break into a home and endanger family members, and it's a different story. Also the minute that round leaves the muzzle, you're in a legal world of sh*t. We teach that in our concealed carry classes. Unfortunately, there are quite a few individuals who have permits who shouldn't be given anything sharper than their elbow.
On one level, it warms my heart to see those fine young men get beat up. On another, can you not say that the shop escalated this by beating these guys up in defense of property? Should the leg of that chair cause a traumatic brain injury to one of those fine young men, they'd be a rich guy because someone would take that case.

Far better (for the shop) to have stood back and let insurance take over. The optics of people getting beat up work in favor of the shop in the court of public but not legal opinion.

One of a group of young students from MD recently tried to borrow a car from a guy in VA. The young man had a pistol that someone brought to his school (in MD) and in wound up in the middle of all this. His mom is "disappointed" in him.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm a little confused at some responses here......when I mentioned the gang possibly being armed, I was making no reference to a gunfight, just that when the employees resisted, we're lucky the bad guys didn't start shooting innocent people. It's just a small step for those who will disregard laws against major theft to disregard laws against murder.
Murder has existed throughout history....we won't ever eliminate it entirely....but we should try to find a way to prevent those who commit ANY serious crime from ever having the opportunity to do anything like it again. I struggle with my own sense of compassion when I say something like that, but "some" people demonstrate that they refuse to live in a civilized society, and accept the slightest boundaries of behavior. :(

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Difference between California, where the perps got bruises and ran away, and Oklahoma or Texas.......
" the four robbery suspects were shot by 2 customers and 2 store employees"

Did any customers get shot in the crossfire? A young girl was killed recently around here, when she was in a dressing room with her mom when a guy was going berserk in the store. Police came in and took a shot at him and it went through a wall and killed her. The perp was unarmed, and they could have easily taken him down, but they chose to shoot. Just imagine this happening where half of the customers are armed...

Status
Not open for further replies.