Local news, what a bunch of fooy...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Local news in my area (DC, the nation’s capital, you’d think there’d be a high standard) has devolved into: something happened, and here are some posts about it from random people on social media that we found that might cause a stir.

2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Don’t forget about local commercials. Strange.

3. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Dang only a 2 degree differential?!

Where I'm at because of the humidity our heat index differential can range from 10-15 degree differential. I'd love to know how cool a true 90 degrees actually feels! :D

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Find out if your local news station is owned by a mega-corporation like Sinclair or others.

Chances are, along with your local news ,you were served up the exact same National/world crap as millions of folks around the country whose stations are owned by the same company.

guitartwonk likes this.
  5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

I agree. It should always be possible to see through the BS but it's especially tough when sometimes you just want to know the pure facts of what's going on in the world but even the selection of which facts to show us is carefully managed so that we only see one side of the story.

What's particularly worrying here in the UK is what's happening with the BBC. For those stateside or elsewhere who may not be aware, the BBC (Aunty, as we like to call her) is funded by licence fees paid by television users. The government sets how much funding they get in this way. The BBC has a near monopoly on news in the UK. Virtually everyone trusts them.

Lately though, they were threatened by government with the licence fee being significantly reduced or even withdrawn. Coincidentally the next thing that happened was a noticeable bias in their news reporting towards the governing political party.

The result? In the cradle of democracy, we now have complete state control of the one news outlet that pretty much everyone in the UK trusts.

Their news function reaches us daily through several TV channels (I forget how many, it's at least 5 or 6) and about 9 or 10 national radio stations, plus online too.

The bias is so noticeable and the effect so complete that I'd even go so far as to call it a propaganda machine.

I'm sorry if my post is getting too political, but I think standing up for freedom of information and freedom from bias in the information we get is important wherever you happen to sit on the political spectrum.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

6. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Local commercials can be great, like really quirky.

I grew up in Northamptonshire (UK). We used to have a community run station called Northants TV.

In that county there's a town called Towcester which is pronounced "toe-ster".

In that town there's a pub called the White Bear.

One time I saw this ad on Northants TV that consisted of a toaster, and some guy trying to ram a white teddy bear into the toaster.

The whole time he's going "White Bear... Toaster... White bear... Toaster... White bear... Toaster..."

"Come to the White Bear.... In ... Towcester!"

Cheesy but brilliant!

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    A recent post has crossed the line.

Thread closed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.