Local Lending Community Idea

redhouse_ca

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

I wanted to float an idea. There are a bunch of times where I have needed something for a short spell to set up a guitar or test/trial some component. Sometimes I’ll borrow these from friends but sometimes no friend has what I need. Any interest in creating a local lending group for things in my area (SF Bay Area) or elsewhere? For example, I have a nut file set but needed one file size is didn’t have for maybe three strokes on one string one time. I had to buy it, which was fine I guess but it sure would have been nice to be able to just phone a friend and borrow one for 5 mins. Similarly, a while back I broke down and bought a Tonerite for a new acoustic that just wasn’t playing in fast enough. It’s sat in a box since then. I also needed a funky cable once to connect a mixer to my iPad, which i also bought, but I use it rarely and if someone was in a crunch and needed to borrow, I wouldn’t mind.

Obviously, there is some risk to this as someone could break your stuff or worse, but it could also be helpful for others and good karma.

Any thoughts on this (pros/cons/interest, etc)?

Thanks!

redhouse_ca

Tele-Meister
I guess, that’s one option, but I’d be much more open to lending something to someone who’s been on this site for months or years and has some history.

Maybe this is a dumb idea but it seems sensible.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
It might work in today's connected world.

But personally I'd pay to use some shop space every once in a while with wifi, proper dust-handling infrastructure, a compressor and a paint booth. Work benches with space around them. A "library" of clamps and odd tools to check out. A refrigerator. Proper disposal containers for the chemicals and scrap, a whiteboard, restrooms (and a janitorial service), lockers of various sizes to store your own stuff, etc., etc.

And why not go crazy and put in an electronics assembly workstation or two. DVM, scope and soldering equipment included.

Members only; gets you a way to reserve space (online via app), access 24/7.

Mrs. Miller would be happy as hell to see the mess gone from home.

Anybody got a loose million or so they want to throw into a prototype business location❓

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

But personally I'd pay to use some shop space every once in a while with wifi, proper dust-handling infrastructure, a compressor and a paint booth. Work benches with space around them. A "library" of clamps and odd tools to check out. A refrigerator. Proper disposal containers for the chemicals and scrap, a whiteboard, restrooms (and a janitorial service), lockers of various sizes to store your own stuff, etc., etc.

And why not go crazy and put in an electronics assembly workstation or two. DVM, scope and soldering equipment included.

Anybody got a loose million or so they want to throw into a prototype business location❓

If you add machine shop, 3d printing, welding, and a bunch of other stuff, it would be the "maker space" down the block from me. There is a monthly membership fee, and then I think you just get access to all of it.

redhouse_ca

Tele-Meister

Ha, I’ll ask around but no one comes to mind.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
Just meet more like minded people, renting or even hanging out at a shop is a decent idea.
I can’t lend out my vintage tools they don’t make anymore, and I don’t want anyone bending my nut files.
It would be cool to borrow machines, or hang somewhere were you could use them.
There’s probably better luck finding people who will lend car tools but a particular hobby probably not.
How would you practice your technique? You’d have to buy those tools.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm looking for that guy who's gonna "lend" me a Tuff Dog. (I hope he's not in any hurry to get it back)

chaosman12

Tele-Meister
In Baltimore we have a “tool library”.

I’m not a member, but I have taken classes there.
No guitar tools, just pointing it out as an example.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
Had a friend retire to AZ and in the senior communities there were clubs with shops. Woodworking, lapidary, pottery etc. It seems like jr and sr high schools afterhours the community plays sports, why not use the shop, robotics lab for the commuity. Also neighborhood, senior centers could do this with volunteers and a small monthly fee for members. There is a few neighbors around that we share tools and have been known to coordinate tool purchases to avoid overlap.