Load line plotter for unbypassed gain stage

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Tom Kamphuys, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Meister

In this thread (https://www.tdpri.com/threads/preamp-signal-through-my-rr800v.1032352/) it became clear that I've only seen fully bypassed gain stage load lines.

I'm trying to update my scripts for unbypassed gain stages. I'm currently using https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Rider/BOOKS/Inside-the-Vacuum-Tube-Rider-1945.pdf (p327 and futher).

The first baby steps have been taken. I'll try to give updates. As this is the first time I'm reading/doing this, any feedback from you guys that actually know this stuff is very welcome.

Sneak preview:

unbypassed.png

Lower left lines are an error. I need to find a reasonable starting point for my fminsearch.

2. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

I like those little Martian subatomic particles. The electron has wings, a minus sign for a mouth, and lightning bolts coming out of its cephalothorax.

Electron Stick Figure.png

3. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

I hope you didn't give up on this because I wanted to see what you would come up with.

Plate Curves Unbypassed 1.5K Reduced.jpeg

4. Tom Kamphuys

Too many little projects going on.

Not given up, yet.

Ten Over likes this.
  5. Tom Kamphuys

Not complete wrong, not completely right:

comp.png

It seems that the 'standard' grid curves are already different.

@Ten Over Where did you get this picture? Somewhere online? Book? Or is there some software/webpage where you can do this?

6. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

I did it like they did it originally. I took some tubes and compiled a mountain of data and then I took a French Curve to it.

My graphs are slightly different than the published fully bypassed plate characteristics in that the anode voltage is from the plate to ground and the grid voltage is from grid to ground as opposed to anode to cathode and grid to cathode. I included the Vgk = 0 curve so that it would be known where grid current becomes a problem under typical conditions.

Plate Curves Unbypassed 820 Reduced.jpeg

Plate Curves Unbypassed 10K Reduced.jpeg

7. Tom Kamphuys

I thought you were high on something, but I found out today that the image is from the 1945 book :D

comp2.png

Promising!

I don't get why you Vgk curve is different between your images.

8. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

The plate voltages on my graphs are from plate to ground. The plate voltages on the published graphs are from plate to cathode. The Vgk curve hits the +33 curve on the 10K graph at about 200V plate-to-ground. The cathode is at +33V, so the plate-to-cathode voltage is more like 167V. If you scoot the Vgk line over to 167V, it gets pretty close to my Vgk line for a 1.5K cathode resistor.

9. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Just making sure you guys know spice exists. If you want to make a script to calculate electronic circuits for the challenge and learning opportunity of doing it I totally understand that and by all means carry on. Just in case though, thought I'd mention those tools do exist. They're even free.

This is a quick spice plot of 12AX7 plate characteristics with a 1.5K cathode resistor. I haven't labelled the grid voltage of each line but the range is +5 to -5

[​IMG]

I'm not understanding what you mean about bypassed vs non-bypassed cathode resistors though, could you explain that to me? I'm not seeing what the difference would be here. These are just steady state idle currents, there's no ability for this kind of plot to represent frequency domain things like bypass caps is there?

10. Tom Kamphuys

It is a learning experience. I can recreate the lines, so I'm now ready to use existing tools.
    I know spice exists. I have it installed and have used it. I don't know how to create the plot you show though. Could you somehow provide the file?

The bypassed and unbypassed gain stages have a different gain. See e.g. section 1.18 of http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Common_Gain_Stage.pdf . In another thread (Preamp signal through my RR800V) we could not match measurements with simulations. @Ten Over suggested we should use the unbypassed plate characteristics graph. I don't understand it good enough to give you a clear answer, but for an AC signal, the bias will not change in the bypassed version and will change in the unbiased version. The grid to cathode voltage will change: cathode current feedback (see 1.18). I thought this effect was captured in the images in the previous posts. Maybe @Ten Over can chime in...

11. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

The way that we use the published plate characteristics assumes that we have a fully-bypassed cathode resistor. We determine the various plate voltages with an AC input signal centered on the operating point. The cathode voltage must remain constant in order for this to work. This means a fully-bypassed cathode resistor for the gain stages that we typically use.

Having the un-bypassed cathode voltage change with the AC input voltage makes the published plate characteristics a lot more challenging to use. In fact it is so challenging that they are virtually useless by themselves for determining the behavior of an un-bypassed gain stage with an AC input signal.

Since we are interested in what the plate-to-ground signal is with a grid-to-ground signal, I made graphs with those parameters. These are static characteristics, also, but they aren't the same static characteristics as the published plate characteristics.

12. Tom Kamphuys

I was hoping I could use the new plate curves in the unbypassed case, just as we do the normal plate curves in the bypassed case.

13. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Okay I think see what you guys mean. For those two edge cases, fully bypassed and fully un-bypassed, you can ignore frequency so a static plot is all you need? Makes sense.

Tom,

I can send you the spice file for that when I get home but there's not much to look at. The magic is all in the 12ax7 model itself. This used a particularly good one made by a fellow named Adrian Immler. I believe he used a selection of modern tungsol reissues to generate it but I'll have to double check that.

14. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

This is the spice file

Hit run, then when it's finished current probe the 12ax7 anode to see the curves. The bottom scale of the plot is marked "s" for seconds but it's actually voltage. Or actually, it's setup so they're equivalent. (the charting function in ltspice can be a bit inflexible and I was too lazy to take the data over to excel to make one with more sensible labels)

Turns out Adrian went through several tung sol 12ax7 looking for one that best matched their published curves. He then created the model by making detailed measurements of that specific "golden tube" as he puts it. It's the most accurate 12ax7 model I've ever seen, I'm really impressed by his work. You can find him on Diyaudio if you have any questions about it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:08 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.