LM386 amp?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mark the Moose, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Anybody try an LM386 build? I’m thinking a noisy cricket might be a good solution for a practice amp in my office. Pair it with a WGS Veteran 10...

PhredE likes this.
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

There was something about LM386 a few years ago. I can’t help in how to search for it
    There was a schematic posted that I remember asking some questions about, but I don’t remember the name of the poster.
    Sorry couldn’t be more help.

PhredE likes this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

4. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

PhredE likes this.
  6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Runoffgroove Ruby.
    [​IMG]

tubedood and PhredE like this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Mark the Moose,

I did something kind of/sort of analogous (strictly for 'practice'):

I initially set out to build the LM386 based amp, but then looked around and decided to just buy an assembled amp module and see it I could just tweak things to make it work as a simple basic guitar amp. Well, I think I got something that does ok.

I used ones built/sold by DROK and sold on Amazon. I had pretty good luck with the TDA7297 (I think it's 15W * 2 output) amp. I had to add a separate power supply and wire things together, but that's no big deal. Total cost for both was < $20 I believe. Portable as heck too (the power supply is about 1"x2.5"x4", the amp module itself is like 1"x1"x1.5"). Also, as a disclaimer, I can say the power ratings are VASTLY optimistic compared to what a guitar player would expect at the same nominal rating. Without preamp-ing your signal, it will sound lethargic and lifeless. I run it through a tube preamp, and either a Joyo AS or Joyo ACTone and it really sounds pretty good.

Later, I decided to pick up a more powerful amp module based on the TDA7377 (nominally 35W * 2). The power demands were greater so I had to pair it with a new power supply. I think the physical layout and dimensions are very similar as the previous one though. I spent a few more bucks putting these things together to make it work (maybe $25 or so). Overall, cheap, compact flexible. You'll definitely want *something* in front of the amp to boost/hone/tweak signal level and EQ pattern though. On it's own, it just doesn't do the job.

I doubt a link will work here, here are the product descriptions from Amazon:
    DROK TDA7297 15W+15W Audio Power Amplifier Module AC/DC 9-18V 2.0 Dual Channel Stereo Amp Board

DROK Micro TDA7377 DC12V Digital Audio Power Amplifier 35W+35W

..FWIW.

Update: Also, as an FYI, the Fender Champion 40 (and I think Champion 20) use the TDA7294 chip for the power amp. Similar, but not quite the same.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Runoff Groove Ruby

9. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I 2nd (3rd?...4th?) the Ruby. It was a fun and informative, easy to grasp project.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I made a Ruby amp way back and it's really good.

I built a Noisy Cricket amp, but wasn't impressed.

Later I built a Dual Chip Bridged Amp that I based on the Ruby, Noisy Cricket and the Tufnel Distortion pedal by Beavis audio and put it all in a small cabinet with a 10" WGS Veteran speaker. The speaker had a bright tone to it in the Pine cabinet I made. The amp has a lot of distortion(probably too much), but not much volume for a 1 to 2 watt amp.

Attached Files:

Mark the Moose likes this.
  11. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Ruby seems like a crazy simple build. Maybe I’ll box it up with a Timmy and a Belton Brick reverb to keep in my office for lunch hour noodling.

robrob likes this.
  13. Zepfan

Put the 47nf/.047uf input cap on a 2-way on/on switch with a .1uf cap on the other side to use for darker tone(known as the Bassman mod) and you can add a tone pot circuit off the volume as shown in my post earlier if wanted.

Mark the Moose likes this.
  14. Zepfan

I have used the Ruby as a preamp into a cheap 20watt Radio Shack PA for a couple of years. It works very well that way or I run it through a 6" speaker for bedroom volumes.

KG7IL and Mark the Moose like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.