Lm386 amp module hook up questions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by psychobilly451, Nov 17, 2019.

1. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

I am building a little lm386 guitar amp with module but I am not quite sure where to solder the speaker wires and input jack. Screenshot_20191117-164600.png Screenshot_20191117-164600.png Screenshot_20191117-164703.png

2. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

You have some options... A 1/4" input jack could be wired and soldered to J5. Or you could use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the end of your guitar cable to go directly in to the 3.5mm audio input jack. J5=pin2 is ground (negative), pin1 is the positive. The speaker wire goes on "SP" on the pcb. Same pinout: pin2 = ground, pin1 positive.

Now for the connections to those spots, they look to be molex. You could go buy some female molex connectors to solder to your input jack and speaker wires. Or you could remove the male molex connectors from the PCB and solder your wires directly to the board. If you're inexperienced at desoldering PCB, i would opt for getting some molex connectors.

3. psychobilly451

Thanks for the input. I should be more specific. How do I determine which is pin 1 of j5 and SP?

4. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

If you have a voltmeter with a continuity setting you could use that to determine where the pcb traces on the back side of the board lead. Or, you could just eyeball it.. Pin1 on the input jack, its trace, will lead directly to C5. The trace on Pin1 on the speaker jack will lead to C6.

Just by looking at the layout in the picture and the printed "+/- 5v-12v" connection, i'm fairly certain Left is positive and Right is negative.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    psychobilly451 likes this.
  5. psychobilly451

Thank you so much!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.